Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-07-2001, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Member

We are looking for worker's comp insurance to perform tree trimming and removal services? Locally, it is really high....anyone know of a company or two who specialize in tree service insurance with decent rates? Seems like local yocal insurers are TERRIFIED of tree contracting and don't really understand the business well. They assume we are all going to fall out of the tree on the first job? Looking for some new avenues......HELP!!!!
Old 04-07-2001, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It's their job to assume you are going to fall out of a tree on the first job.......

Better yet.....

The way it works with insurance is...

You're betting you ARE going to fall out of the tree on the first job (and need to be insured)... they are betting you are NOT going to fall out of the tree on the first job (so that they can make a profit)..... and you're paying THEM to be right.
Old 04-07-2001, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

In Mass., my Workers Comp covers employes. In my liablity package I have to carry logging ins rider for tree cutting work( no climbing),a rider for stump grinding, a rider for snow plowing on top of the normal coverage. I switched ins agents and just found out that I was not covered properaly for the last six years. Make sure your agent knows exactly what you do for work. There was a big difference in the meaning of landscaping between me and my new agent.

Gene
Old 04-08-2001, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Member

I understand the concept behind insurance-don't get me wrong. However, I have worked with 2 agents over past 2 months who don't even know the right questions to ask and try to categorize incorrectly, etc, etc. To clarify, I am looking for an agent (obviously who can write policies in FLA) who has some experience in tree service insurance. I have found that often insurance companies linked with professional organizations and such are better educated in what we need for our businesses. Often some of these companies have the ability to offer insurance nationwide. An example is CNA. I am looking for someone who can properly insure us without placing us in the wrong category and overinsure us. Any ideas, guys?
Old 04-11-2001, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Check over here, http://www.arboristsite.com/

If you choked a Smurf, what color would it turn?

I'd give my right hand , if I could be ambidextrous!
Old 04-12-2001, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Try Contractors & Builders Association. its a countywide assaciation, found out about it through my independent insurance agent. Im in pinellas county (st pete), so you may have something like that there in naples. the web site for the one in pinellas is http://www.cba-pinellas.com maybe they will know if you have them there.
Old 04-12-2001, 03:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

John is right!. Insurance is a numbers game. The insurance companies have bean counters that can run statistics to the point that I'll bet somewhere in a file, they could tell you how many trees you will climb before you do fall out of one! That is there risk and they are not going to RISK anything!