Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-16-2006, 03:49 PM

Tip Of The Day - 1/16/05 - Hello - You have reached...

For some, not mch work is being done this time of the year - or at least not as much work as usual. That doesn't mean your phone should be shut off.

If you can answer the phone when it rings, do it. People prefer to speak to a real person.... However, if you cannot answer the phone a few things...

#1 - get voicemail - no one in 2006 should be using an answering machine

#2 - leave a polite, easy to understand, professional sounding message.... no dogs or kids in the background, not your home number, etc...

It should be a dedicated line with a message like this....

Thank you for calling ABC Landscaping. We are currently unavailable to accept your call, but please leave your name, phone number, and a brief message, and someone will return your call promptly. Thanks again for calling and Have a Nice Day!
Old 01-16-2006, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

that is a good post Sean,

But wouldn't some people consider voicemail and an answering machine the same thing compared to a live person.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I can see where a cell phone with voicemail can improve most everyone’s situation, however at my home/office I still use an answering machine and see little need to change, at least for the time being. Messages on the answering machine can also be accessed anytime remotely.

Last year I switched my single line over from a residential listing to a commercial listing, and I have to tell you that as soon as I did I was swamped day and night by telemarketers. As a residential number it was on the no call list, but now it’s opened up into a stinking free-for-all. It drives me up a wall! I might be out working on equipment and upon hearing the phone ring I’ll drop things and run inside only to get hung up on by a computerized calling system, or else some idiot will greet me that can’t pronounce my name and has a one-track mind for helping me out by getting me further in debt, yati yati yati. Guess that’s the price you pay for having a business line at home.
Old 01-17-2006, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I tried the whole cell phone voice mail thing...what a nightmare. It only lasted a month for me. It was hard to try to return phone calls all throughout the day when I was trying to work.

How I combat the whole answering machine thing and returning phone calls, is I always check the answering machine around lunch time. Then I return those calls. And the calls received after lunch time, I return those when I get home from work
Old 01-18-2006, 09:51 AM
LawnSite Member

We use a business line in our home office that is forwarded to a cell when no one is here to take calls. I cant begin to tell you how much work we have gotten because we ansewer, or return most calls with in 15 miniutes of recieving the call. We are told quite often "we were just expecting to leave a message" or "WOW that was a quick call back".
I cant say that this would work for everyone but it makes a big diffrece for us and the quality of our customer service.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Member

I have always had one of those "Multi-Function" office message machines. They fax, copy, print, scan, etc, as well as function as an answering machine that sends a page to my cell phone IMMEDIATELY after taking the message. I hear that same "...I didn't expect a call back so fast!" response as new customers come on-board with us. Once the customer learns that we get "paged" and return a call promptly, they don't seem to mind leaving a message. You can get one a Staples, Office Max, etc for $200 - $500, depending on what additional functions you feel that you need. Give it a try!
Col 3:23-25
23 Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men,
24 since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.
25 Anyone who does wrong will be repaid for his wrong, and there is no favoritism.
(NIV)
Old 01-18-2006, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

So… I’m wondering how do you set up these answering machines or multi-function office machines to automatically forward messages to your cell phone?
Old 01-29-2006, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

American Voice mail for me or "Segway" I think depending on where u are located. I pay $10.00 a month for a local number that goes directly to a voicemail. None of my customers have my house number or my cell number. I call them back as soon as I can, usually every night when I get home from working. I dont do calls on Saturdays or Sundays. It works for me...when I first started, I used my home number........that stunk..Try watching a movie with the Phone ringing every 20-30 min.
Old 01-29-2006, 01:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobwithECLC
We use a business line in our home office that is forwarded to a cell when no one is here to take calls. I cant begin to tell you how much work we have gotten because we ansewer, or return most calls with in 15 miniutes of recieving the call. We are told quite often "we were just expecting to leave a message" or "WOW that was a quick call back".
I cant say that this would work for everyone but it makes a big diffrece for us and the quality of our customer service.
My friends think i am crazy if i anwser the phone after 6 pm. As a business owner I think we are always on the clock. by not answering the phone you are allowing a competitor to get the job. We always try and call back in a reasonable time. A personilized voicemail is great to greet the customer when you can't answer the phone.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

yea thats always good to answeer but now i have a ? i am going 2 do a mass mailing of about 60 k people and i need your guys help, i know my phone will be blowing up so i wanan get a company that answers ur calls for you , do u think thats a good idae its an actuall person that my calls get forwarded to and say hello marinos lawN & landscape how may i help you, its like 100 for the month i think with 150 calls allowed or something and like 70 cents each call over, wat do you guys think?