Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-17-2006, 07:51 AM
LawnSite Member

do i need this piece of equipment?

i am considering buying this piece of equipment right here (or something like it):

http://www.echo-usa.com/prods_item.a...gory=SHREDNVAC

now before everyone starts yelling at me about how slow it would be, first let me tell u y i want it:

-for basement window wells
-for basement staircase doorway areas
-for any other hard to reach areas such as corners or underneath immovable objects where blowing leaves is a hassle
-sucking up hedge clippings (i know a mower will suck up hedge clippings, but what if i'm not mowing that lawn that day?)
-i can let one of my crew members walk around the property for 2 or 3 minutes after we've finished a leaf clean-up (while i'm in the truck writing up the bill) and pick any stray leaves we missed, to give an even more clean, manicured look to the property

does anyone own this type of machine (not just echo) and what are your impressions of it? more specifically, is using this piece of equipment for the tasks i listed enough justification to go out and buy one?
Old 01-17-2006, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I,ve got it (Echo Shred n Vac) for the exact reasons you mentioned, basically all the places a backpack blower just swirls the leaves around, always seeming to leave a bunch behind. I find it also comes in handy as an alternative to the Echo PB-751 when blowing off properties, at least when it comes to younger employees or (dare I say it?) most women I've encountered trying to start it up. They can start the handheld much easier. The use as a blower was another consideration, I would say it has been a worthwhile piece of equipment for me.
What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it. And I don't like it any more than you men. :Cool Hand Luke (1967)
Old 01-17-2006, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ive got three of them.....They never get used as vacs. we only occasionly use them as blowers when the backbacks go down....
Old 01-17-2006, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

some companies here in st. louis use them to keep the parking lots clean along curbs and to suck up trash
Old 01-17-2006, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the Stihl model and works great for bush trimming cleanup of small stuff the rake doesn't get. Use it along with my backpack blower for leaf cleanups. Leaves a real nice looking yard after leaf cleanup and bush trimming.

I am charging the customer for the time I use it so why not make extra money from it and get the bonus of leaving a nice looking yard/bush area.

Bill
Old 01-19-2006, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Member

i would purchase this piece if u do alot of leaf/bush jobs. sounds like it will be beneficial to u.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Porpoise: Wanted to let you know I bought the same piece of eqiuipment 3 years ago for basically the same reasons you're looking at it. I have since learned that, for the most part, the places you'd normally want to use it during leaf c/u's (deco beds near the house, etc) are not a good working environment for this vac. I have spent so much time removing the vac tube to dislodge pieces of mulch which jam up between the blower fan and housing (and require you to shut down to clean it out) that I no longer even take it out of the shop. The dealer I bought it from also warned me about sucking up lava rock, but I never got close enough to any to do so. Another drawback is you need to keep a screwdriver in your pocket for loosening the clamp that holds the tube onto the unit itself. For me, it's been faster and less hassle to just use the backpack blower. It does have a tendency to plug up with clipping from EVG bushes also. I'd pass on this one - just my 2 cents.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I also tried using a vac for the same reasons. I ended up getting mulch, etc stuck in them and they broke. I am not wasting any more money.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The Stihl model has metal blades so it is not going to break. It is a problem around mulch area with it clogging up. . Basically I tell the customers that I can't pick up leaves,etc. if the ground is mulched and they understand after you explain why. No big deal.

It works fine in small rock mulch areas if the rocks are heavy enough.

Bill