Register free!

Old 04-08-2001, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a few good customers that want me to fertilize for them. I would like to know what I should use, when to use it and how many times to use it. Also what can I use to prevent weeds from invading the lawn? I'm a little bit scared about some how screwing up their grass but I want to do it so I can learn. I don't want to sub it out. Thanks
Old 04-10-2001, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

In all honesty, work on your lawn first. Thats what I did. Two, get a lisence and get registered. If you get rolled up on without one you'll never have to worry about applying pesticides again. OK?
Old 04-14-2001, 12:48 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I think it is spelled license. and yes, you should get one. However, it is not against the law here to fertilize, so I'll go safe. get a slow release 1-1-1 ratio to start, then a 3-1-2 50%SCU with minors to maintain. Dave
Old 04-14-2001, 02:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Whoa!

I think david is on the money. I would work on making shure you are familiar with your equiptment and calibrating your sprayer. I would say that 50 percent of the mistakes I have seen are the result of improper sprayer calibration, and about 40 percent are from overspray of selective herbicides into bedding areas. I would use only water for a while. Do test runs of different length and width. Check for overspray when applying. As far as applying herbicides, selective or nonselective, I would not even consider it, outside of your home. Once you have your apps. licence and have spent time with someone that can correct potential mistakes before you spray, then both you and your customer will benifit from your knowledge and expertise. If you make a mistake you could destroy a customers lawn, landscaping and certainly his faith in you. Not to mention if you destroy someones $30,000 dollar landscape you will almost certainly end up in court, punitive damages ect. I am not trying to scare anyone out of the business, just stating what I have seen. A good habit to form now is accurate record keeping. This means time, temp, wind, daily precip, pest, chem, rate, location and equiptment used. It is important to remember that we are not just killing weeds or treating for disease, we are applying a chemical. If you spray somone's lawn and they call you from the hospital saying their child is covered with red bumps, you had better have the chemical, rate, time and location of the application.
Good Luck,
Jim L