Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-20-2006, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Also maybe some of those guys I see around town mowing in circles who use a beater truck with a homemade trailer could be just friends or family just helping someone out with whatever they've got, volunteering a free cut, nothing wrong with that.

True, equal or better business should be the center of my attention.
Old 01-20-2006, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

My good-ness What a stupid made up thread -If you have to boose your ego, or try to convince yourself you are a "professional" by making up these horrific threads, with visions of your competitions inadequacy dancing in your head, maybe this kind of made up venting will help you sleep tonight.

Christ almighty - Pay attention to your business, and quit worrying about everyone else. Go out and do a good job - charge fair, and you will be ok. Seems to me the person starting this thread has a lot of down time, and not much work.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flex-Deck
My good-ness What a stupid made up thread -If you have to boose your ego, or try to convince yourself you are a "professional" by making up these horrific threads, with visions of your competitions inadequacy dancing in your head, maybe this kind of made up venting will help you sleep tonight.

Christ almighty - Pay attention to your business, and quit worrying about everyone else. Go out and do a good job - charge fair, and you will be ok. Seems to me the person starting this thread has a lot of down time, and not much work.
Ha ha ha ha LOL!!! Thats kinda how I feel when anybody starts threads like this. Jeez!! I mean I took some downtime this winter to recharge the batteries so to speak, but I've been busy as a one legged man in a but kickin contest lately just working on the office work side of business and preparing for '06 season.

Good post Flex
What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it. And I don't like it any more than you men. :Cool Hand Luke (1967)
Old 01-20-2006, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I will not look down on anyone who is out there trying to make a living. The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away. I am thankful for my business.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcls83
Do you ever visualize in your head how a cheapo rinky-dink lawn care operation operates? Sometimes I'm declined a job because the other operation is cheaper or they offer gutter cleaning , dog poo pickup, diaper changing, some lame reason. I'll take a drive by If im passing by and the job those guys did looks so crappy. These guys crack me up.

I picture a guy like this:

-pulling up in a 2wd rotted out Ranger pulling a homemade trailer made of deck boards, oil leaking everywhere

-Pulls out his walk-behind saturated in dirt so much that you cant tell what color it is, and always manages to lock in one of his handles so the mower so it starts spinning in circles with him chasing it.

-Asks homeowner if they can use an electrical outlet in their house so he can run his electric trimmer he acquired by finding it in a dumpster.

-Needs the outlet for the electric blower too.

-When he walks around he has this awkward skip.

-Talks to his customers in that same tone as that voiceover from infomercials

-Has bad luck with constantly managing to get a direct hit with his head into a basketball sized hornet nest numerous times. (Knock on wood that never happens to me. probably will)

-Sign on truck is printed on computer paper and duct taped to his truck and is fading out.

-Thinks he looks professional because he has 20 road cones surrounding his truck when at the job.

I'm not saying my equipment, truck and trailer looks as nice as the ones you see on an Exmark brochure, but I try to keep up with making my stuff looking clean as much as I can.

Post what you think of when you picture those guys who seem to under cut you in price. I'm always looking for a good laugh.

Competition Period!

I was there at one time. learned the ropes.
Now the only reason that the larger companies don't cringe is that I have my niche and they know I wont hitt there money pots. They feed me and I leave them there money pots.
Also
First of all if they own a walk behind you can darn bet they have a gas powered hedge trimmer and whacker.
and if they own a walk behind they are on the right track and will still be around if they have some business knowledge.
JMO.
Old 01-21-2006, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Never look down on others trying to make ends meet because you will be humbled sooner or later. Your not "all that", just another lawn guy making some money.
Old 01-21-2006, 02:13 AM
LawnSite Member

Lighten Up !!!
Old 01-21-2006, 02:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Anyways, you guys doing "paper work" while pounding away at the keyboard in an internet forum means you should better get going on that huge stack of paper work to pick up those precious 3 $25 lawns.

Ego Stroke... heh heh!!! Come on Lighten Up!!! Have Fun out there!!!
Old 01-21-2006, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't waste my time thinking about smaller, less professional businesses.
Why should I?
The individual running an operation like this is probably trying to survive - and I for one am not going to bash 'em.
Regarding an impact on our industry, my business is so far removed from that less professional image, it just does not pertain to who, what and how I present myself and my company.
The only time I focus on a group like this is when I observe unlicensed irrigation work or chemical applications being made - the state gets a call about that.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Its like making fun of fat people that are out trying to exercise: At least they are trying.

If I see some scrub operation in one of the neighborhoods that I work, I could care less. Maybe by him seeing me there with a nice truck, trailer and equipment it will inspire him.

WHo cares, those guys have always been there and always will...................

If they are your competition, you've got bigger problems! Cause they are not even THE competition.