Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-21-2006, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherlawnguy
If they are your competition, you've got bigger problems! Cause they are not even THE competition.
Yeah, go ahead and think that. That is what alot of the guys thought about me 5 years ago. Just another fly by night... HA HA HA. Well they might start out as scrubs but eventually if they figure out that they are charging to little and need better equiptment either they will be, 1. out of business or 2. your competition.
Just because a guy runs a beat up truck and a craftsman mower and whacker does not mean he doesn't have a head on his shoulders and business knowledge. All it means is that he has a limited start up money and didn't want to sell his soul to the bank.
Biggest problem with this business or any business for that matter, is that too many people think that they need the biggest baddest equiptment right away.
They jump in with a 15000 debt and find out that it takes all their profit to pay for the debt. Those are the ones that I don't worry about they will be selling their equiptment very soon.
Old 01-21-2006, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherlawnguy
Its like making fun of fat people that are out trying to exercise: At least they are trying.

If I see some scrub operation in one of the neighborhoods that I work, I could care less. Maybe by him seeing me there with a nice truck, trailer and equipment it will inspire him.

WHo cares, those guys have always been there and always will...................

If they are your competition, you've got bigger problems! Cause they are not even THE competition.
Yeah, I give do them credit for trying. At least they are being self sufficient and not having the government paying them to live. They have the same dream as I do. They really don't pose a problem to me, I just have a problem with laughing at everything.

I defineatly don't have a classy sense of humor. Anything silly makes me laugh.

Ill behave!!!
Old 01-21-2006, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sildoc
Yeah, go ahead and think that. That is what alot of the guys thought about me 5 years ago. Just another fly by night... HA HA HA. Well they might start out as scrubs but eventually if they figure out that they are charging to little and need better equiptment either they will be, 1. out of business or 2. your competition.
Just because a guy runs a beat up truck and a craftsman mower and whacker does not mean he doesn't have a head on his shoulders and business knowledge. All it means is that he has a limited start up money and didn't want to sell his soul to the bank.
Biggest problem with this business or any business for that matter, is that too many people think that they need the biggest baddest equiptment right away.
They jump in with a 15000 debt and find out that it takes all their profit to pay for the debt. Those are the ones that I don't worry about they will be selling their equiptment very soon.
Yeah I was not looking at it from being in their shoes.
Old 01-21-2006, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zim bob the landscaper
that happened to me just a week ago
it was some old guy that has some teens work for him gettin paid $10 an hour and has a big nose and is skinny lanky i hate him. ill tell u more about him later
I understand the guy might a been a scrub and whatever but how can you bash a guy for hiring teens when you are 13.

masonry and landscape services for the lower hudson valley
Old 01-21-2006, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I don't really think about the lesser competition, but I would guess they BS there way around, to making fellow LCO's and possible clients think their the cats meow.
As to most LCO's they work off their work performance
Old 01-21-2006, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

here is some food for thought. Some people have the opinion that the new trucks and equipment "if he can afford all that stuff then he charges too much!"

thoughts on this myth.

(this is not my opinion, but I find it common)
Old 01-22-2006, 01:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

here is some food for thought. Some people have the opinion that the new trucks and equipment "if he can afford all that stuff then he charges too much!"

thoughts on this myth.

Quite the contrary. With the nice truck/equip people expect a higher level of service and thus are willing to pay the extra cash.

People make up thier mind before you even get out of the truck. In fact I picked up many customers last year ended up paying me far more then their previous lco.

Image is everything.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

one could have the idyllic LCO image, the best of the best of everything, but if they cant perform, then ..well, image isnt everything.

i really doubt that a customer is going to pay more just because you have a nice truck and equipment.

a projected 'image' means squat if the 'image' isnt followed up with results.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Amen!!!!!!
Old 01-22-2006, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodycrest
one could have the idyllic LCO image, the best of the best of everything, but if they cant perform, then ..well, image isnt everything.

i really doubt that a customer is going to pay more just because you have a nice truck and equipment.

a projected 'image' means squat if the 'image' isnt followed up with results.

BUT, in many instances, that "projected image", whether it's from the truck when you pull up to give an estimate, the first time you speak with someone on the phone, or whether or not you can spell on your estimate form, whether you want to believe it or not, THAT'S when you make your first impression.