Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-20-2006, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

New Product Releases

Thought I'd open up a thread to discuss the new wonders from various manufacturers -- although skid steers and mini-exs dominate here, there are bound to be a plethora of new entires in all markets as manufacturers hit Tier III.

Cat has posted the brand-new 416E backhoe loader on its website. The 324D and 325D are also listed. Deere plans to unveil its 410H Total Machine Control BHL this year for production.
Old 01-20-2006, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

New excavators. I like! I went and looked at pictures of the cab and they went back to fold up armrests, I liked the C-series built in armrests a little better but oh well. Also, 3.4 MPH travel speed, pretty significant for a 25 ton (basically) machine.

Go hard, go fast, or go home

Last edited by Scag48; 01-20-2006 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Member

The market isn't that great for rubber tired backhoes with mini excavators they have pretty much taken the place where rubber tired backhoes used to be. A mini excavator can be moved to a site just as fast as a rubber tired backhoe. A mini can go where a rubber tired backhoe can't, a mini can trench faster than a rubber tired backhoe.

The only real use for a rubber tired backhoe is if your moving material around a site but with the newer skid steers getting bigger and faster they can move material around a site just as quick.

I ran a Cat rubber tired hoe for a little bit wasn't overly impressed with it I think its pretty hard to compete with the 580 and 590 Case.
Old 01-21-2006, 04:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Xing..its not use Mate...I am NOT buying anymore new machines!

Lady: You Sir are Drunk!
Winston Churchill: Yes Ma'am but you are ugly, and tomorrow I will be Sober.

Sarcasm may be the lowest form of humour....but it sure is fun!
Old 01-21-2006, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You can always donate to the "Xing wants a skid steer fund"

(naw, just kidding around... I won't accept donations.)
Old 01-21-2006, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Salesman update

I finally have some time to provide some feedback on the new ASV machines. I've been swamped finalizing grades for my students. It's definitely been a challenge to bid work and teach at the same time.

Here goes for the SR-80:
12.5mph- this machine comes standard with two speed and the low range will go 7mph.
Bucket self-level- this isn't a new feature, but this machine levels on the way up, and down. should be good for unloading pallets.
Fully sealed and pressurized cab. I know that debris getting in the cab was a problem during brush cutting when I was selling. This should also eliminate dust in the cab.
The machine has no hand throttle- instead the salesman told me that there is a foot throttle that will stay where you set it, and it is not in the way of your feet.
Independant suspended wheels- He said that the wheels move independantly of each other the entire length and width of the track. he was told this will make it the smoothest riding machine in the market, increase traction, and extend the life of the tracks by allowing for true distribution over the entire track.
I thought one of the best features was the metal face seals. On the tracked Bobcats that I sold you had to replace the idlers when the wheels wore down and they were awfully expensive. On these new ASV machines, the bearing housing doesn't have to be replaced with the wheel. Only the wheel portion.
The SR-80 also has 20" wide tracks and the overall width is 6'. It also has 15" of ground clearance. He told me that ASV showed a video clip of the machine driving through a mud pit numerous times that a T250 couldn't even make half way. The video clip also showed the machine climbing a hill that the Bobcat couldn't go up. One of the points he kept mentioning was that the cab is probably better (fit and finish, ergonomics, etc,) than anyone's he has seen so far. It will be interesting to see how these machines perform in the field. If it does as well as my RC50 I will be impressed.
Old 01-21-2006, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd like to see the comparison vs. the Bobcat, with audio, to see how the Bobcat responds (I certainly won't doubt the facts given to you, but I've never seen a Bobcat CTL in action).

And it's good to hear that you teach -- at UWMad or locally? What do you teach?
Old 01-22-2006, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Product comparison

Tigerotor77W,

I agree. Specs are one thing, but seeing a machine actually perform the applications that are needed to make money are very important. I bought my RC50 based on my experience selling the Bobcat tracked machines and the actual ability of the ASV to do what I needed it to do. I saw the video of the machine on a test track at ASV, but until i ran one and put it through it's paces I was slightly skeptical. It has done everything that I had hoped it would do, and has been a heck of a machine so far.

I teach Math at the junior high level. It's a very rewarding job, but it definitely taxes my ability to do dirt work. I have a girlfriend that is very understanding with the busy weekends.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Awesome! I like teaching elementary math (more like tutoring, I guess, as I am not a "teacher" by profession). Start getting into the tougher arenas, though, like trying to explain integration or why Fourier series works to someone whose opinions are opposite yours, and I balk.

Anyhow -- thanks for the opinions. I'm going to see if I can get my hands on that video.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Literature for the E-series backhoe loaders is available on govbidspec.cat.com

The E-series even earned the prestige of being the opening image for that site.

I'm so excited... go get 'em, Cat!