Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-21-2006, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Help Identifying Weed

Renovated yard in the Fall. Everything was fine and then this weed started coming up. Has actually taken over a couple of areas. Located in East Tennessee, had some cold spells, but the weed has not died.

Help me identify the weed and figure out how to kill it.
Attached Images

Old 01-21-2006, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Not sure if I can give you a link or not, but try www.weedalert.com I have
a poster with a ton of different weeds on it given out by them.
good luck!
Old 01-22-2006, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

looks like it could be henbit. Does it have a square stem? If so than yes (hard to tell from pic) There is also another name for it but it escapes me right now. It is a winter annual weed which grows during the winter and dies when the temps go up in the spring. Wait for a little longer and then hit it with a broadleaf weed spray.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Member

My first thought is that it is wild strawberry. May be wrong though. I would think any broadleaf herbiside would kill it and not harn the lawn.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm going with ground ivy. Use 3-Way with Ester when the temps are still cool enough (stay below the mid 70s and you should be fine).

Check out this link for a pic of ground ivy and you'll see why i'm going with it:

http://www.rcre.rutgers.edu/weeds/weed.asp?groundivy

hint: look for the blueish-purple flower in the center. if you have that, it's a dead giveaway. i didn't see it in your pic, but maybe it just hadn't developed yet.

Note: whether it is ground ivy or henbit, three-way with ester will treat both, so it's not that big of a deal. if it's wild strawberry, 2-4d will do the trick pretty easily.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

keperkey:

Your sample is without a doubt Henbit. FYI- Chickweed and Henbit are the #1 and #2 winter weeds that we face here in East Tennessee. With the weather we have been having, they are in a full blown growing stage. You can control them with any broadleaf weed control product. With temps in the 50's, almost any product will work. Just make sure that you read the label, as always.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks guys. It is Henbit. Other than shooting it with a broadleaf product, anything else I need to do now? Any suggestions on the best product to use.

Last edited by keperkey; 01-24-2006 at 09:02 PM.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Member

One more question. In the areas that are pretty covered, I assume I will have bare spots. Any suggestions on how to keep the crabgrass out?

TScapes, do you cover Halls?
Old 01-25-2006, 12:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Regarding a certain product.... I personally like any of the Trimec products. Look at your Co-op over there near Halls. I buy most of my stuff from JDeere or Lesco. Lesco also has their own line of products to use... just ask Jim what he recommends for you.

Regarding your "infestation" and wheter it will be bare after you get the henbit under control.... the answer is no. That is a common myth. Unless this was completely bare ground and then overseeded, more than likely there is grass under all those winter weeds.

As for crabgrass.... no need to worry about that now. However, you need to start planning on putting out a Pre-emergent to the turf sometime between Valentines and St. Patty's Day. Just pay attention to the weather. The soil has to be somewhere around 57degrees or so for crabgrass to start germinating. Typically with our messed up winters, that usually is in March. A tell-tell sign is to watch the forsythias... when they are in full bloom it is getting close.

As for me... I have not ventured into Halls yet. I work in Alcoa, Clinton Hwy area and West Knoxville. I live in Oak Ridge and our office is in North Knox, so I would venture that we would go that way if I have a need to. However, we just do commercial props.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info. If you have a recommendation for someone for ferts and squirts up my way, please let me know.