Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-24-2006, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Plugr or Sidewinder?

I have a bit to spend this next month, and do only mowing (for 18 years now), and want to add another service. The sidewinder edger is a MOnster, and I figure one could be making a couple hundred an hour with it, the plugr (new pro hydro model) will also yield a high hourly rate. Each would be somewhat of a niche market. I think the sidewinder would give much more per hour, but the ability to advertise "core aeration" would probably give me a lot more mowing accounts. Any thoughts? thanks in advance.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't know about the sidewinder. I do know that the plugr will pay itself off in no time and will last years with no problems.

Bentley's
Old 01-24-2006, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't assume you will make lots of money from aeration. There are plenty of people doing it for dirt cheap. I would advertise but rent an aerator the first year to see how many customers you will get before you start spending big bucks.

Some people advertise for $60 a yard (7,000 - 9,000 sq.f ft.) around here.

Bill
Old 01-25-2006, 08:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good point, but in my area, it is a WIDE OPEN market. Very few are doing it, and many of my customers have already been asking me. Same for power grooming edges of beds. I am leaning towards the Plugr tho, because it will more likely boost my lawn accounts as neighbors see what I am doing. All my accounts are clustered, as I have been in business for 18 years. I have like 10 "hot spots" of great 3 to 7 clusters of lawns.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Is there a website for this Sidewinder? I have never heard of it...thanks.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Grass
Good point, but in my area, it is a WIDE OPEN market. Very few are doing it, and many of my customers have already been asking me. Same for power grooming edges of beds. I am leaning towards the Plugr tho, because it will more likely boost my lawn accounts as neighbors see what I am doing. All my accounts are clustered, as I have been in business for 18 years. I have like 10 "hot spots" of great 3 to 7 clusters of lawns.
Yes the plugr is the best I have seen. The new hydro unit is around $1,000 more than the non hydro unit and you only get 1 hydro on the unit but I would buy it if I had the market for it.

Bill
Old 01-25-2006, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Here you go ROD
http://www.turfteq.com/
Old 01-25-2006, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg313
Here you go ROD
http://www.turfteq.com/
Cool, thanks. So I guess it's a choice between an aerator and a power rake for renovation purposes.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Actually I was getting the bed grooming attachments for the sidewinder if I got it, and power rake another year. I am still leaning towards the plugr in a few weeks tho. It is just that the Sidewinder can get you a lot of $$$ per hour if you really get a modest market built up for it.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How much is the sidewinder? and attachments? I got a 9 hp brown bed edger, awesome machine, for around 1400.00 with an extra cutting rotor. Then I got a bluebird power rake with the verticutter blade for 950.00. Then I got a pl800 aerator for around 2500.00. The question for you is if you have all that in one machine and it breaks down, all your services are gone too. Whereas if you have different specific machines, one breaks down you still have the work for the ones that are in working order.