Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-26-2006, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

ok then, let's call it 30 grand (which is pure bullcrap). even if it's 30 grand, stop paying health ins for 2.5 yrs, and you'll have that 30 grand. i bet, you'll even be able to bargain, cus u got cash. now, if these are all the medical expenses you have, for more than 3 years, YOU MAKE MONEY, by not having health coverage. ALSO, they have something called charity care. it's not free medical care, but the amount you have to pay, is based on your income, and something tells me, the average income around here, is below poverty level
Old 01-26-2006, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
you are once AGAIN, CHANGING THE SUBJECT
I changed the subject again? YOU are the one making assumptions about the legality of my business. I have no shots to be held back, I tell it how it is. Now a person that has to hide all the time on the otherhand has some serious issues.

You wanna talk about insurance being such a ripoff, then don't pay it! Hope you don't feel the same way about your auto, business, or wcs insurance.

<=====<<<< Success is getting what you want and happiness is wanting what you get.>>>>=====>
Old 01-26-2006, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpocket
I don't have an exact figure, but I know you could buy a new truck at that cost.
Not even close. Contrary to what everyone thinks, it's not that much. I was just going through my sons papers yesterday and I had the slip from the hospital. How much do you think it cost?

kc
Old 01-26-2006, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbygedd
once again, alot of "what if's", with very few talking about hard fact.
i have learned to expect the unexpected, there are no 'hard facts' available for the suprises life can throw at us.

in early 1994 my wife was killed in a car accident ,and in summer 1994 my daughter suffered a 'near drowning'. If it werent for the health care program(lets call it 'insurance' for the sake of this discussion) here in Ontario, i would be living in a cardboard box...and so would the rest of my family.
The costs associated with my daughter's accident since 1994 are ASTRONOMICAL.
Those 'what ifs' of 1994 were very real.
Insurance is based on 'what ifs'.
Where health is concerned, insurance is worth the expense in the long run.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Insurance no win situation, most health insurance around here dont even cover 70%. when i life flighted to a major hospital out of town, my insurance didnt pay for the flight, and only 70% of the hospital bill, i have to make payments to the hospital every month for the next 20 or so years.....auto insurance is the same, you pay and pay, dont get into a wreck for many and many years, soon as you have a fender bender the drop you....good luck finding a new insurance for the same price now buddy!
Old 01-26-2006, 02:01 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
i'm sorry for your hardships, but, are you the exception, or the rule? i probably know 50 people in thier 30's and 40's, who have never had the need for insurence, compared to 2-3, who have. sorry, but the numbers don't lie.
Yeah Bobby, arnt I so lucky!
echo hedge clippers
echo long pole hedge clippers
Redmax weedeater
echo 650 BP blower
6 x 16 trailer
5 x 8 trailor
2001 Chevy LS Silverado
Polaris Sportsman 500 AWD ATV
last but not least, TWINS!
Old 01-26-2006, 02:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I never understood the hospital business.

To me, it's just a crazy business... Say if my car breaks down really hard and people show up and I tell them I don't want it fixed because I have no money, I never catch them insisting and oh yes you have to do it song and dance. So, why should anyone care if I get hurt? It's my injury, it's my pain, and it's my problem.

To each their own, they run their business, and I run mine. Most hospital employees are not customers of mine, and I am not a customer of theirs.

I find the only time I would be liable for hospital bills is if I either take myself or have myself taken to a hospital voluntarily. But I have no need for hospital care, because I do not go to hospitals. If I get hurt and someone comes around acting all concerned then I tell them thank you, I will be fine without assistance. Then some give me the real bad worst dread-THIS case scenario and I'm supposed to be really afraid of what could happen, but I just tell them again: thank you, and I'll be fine.

There was a time where somebody called an ambulance and once the paramedics arrived, they insisted I go... Some crazy thing about since they were called now they could be held liable blablabla... I didn't really understand it, except they would not leave without me. So I refused politely and thus they took me against my will (not by force, but against my will). Am I liable? No, I never signed or agreed to anything, I told them the entire time I neither wanted nor needed treatment... Should they insist, then the bill is theirs as well.

If I am unconscious when they take me, that's no good by my book. I never said I wanted this, and I don't. To me, it is not someone else's decision to save my life. Maybe they shouldn't interfere with God's will, but I don't know other than I am not a customer of any hospitals, doctors, or any other healthcare organization.

Same thing as with lawncare: If someone WANTS to cut my grass (say it's really tall or whatever), and I tell them I neither need nor want this done, then if they perform the work, it is not my liability.

That's just how I do it. You just have to know, for example if you think you're having a heart attack, you're either going to have a heart attack (and maybe die from it) or you're not... But you're not going to the hospital, no matter how bad it hurts.

Last edited by topsites; 01-26-2006 at 03:04 AM.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpocket
LOL now that is HILARIOUS the way you put it! Bobby to answer your question no noth ever really happens. I have yet to use my insurance, but what are you going to do when you need it? Say you have a heart attack tomorrow, and the bills total 250,000 then what do you do. That 11,000 you save will mean nothing.

Like I said. Bobby is indestructible. Nothing could ever happen to him or anyone in his family. The rest of us are mortals and unless we have a couple of million to spare, we are better off with insurance.
I do wish he'd take insurance though. A superman like him could help to reduce us mortals' insurance cost by paying in and not drawing from it.
Numbers? I get hurt, the hospital bill is $200,000.00. I have no insurance and no income. I am bankrupt. How's that for numbers?

Schwinn tricycle
11" Tonka push mower
Wal Mart Scissors

Last edited by yrdandgardenhandyman; 01-26-2006 at 06:19 AM.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
actually, it is smarter, mathematically, to NOT HAVE HEALTH INSURENCE. using simple math, and the laws of odds and probabilities, the AVERAGE person, if, they had to pay for thier own health coverage, would lose money by doing so.

If you want to gamble, you go right ahead and gamble. Most gamblers end up in the gutter anyway. Life is full of "what ifs" that turn into sudden reality. a 5 second incident can cause hardship for many many years. But then, you are indestructible.

Schwinn tricycle
11" Tonka push mower
Wal Mart Scissors
Old 01-26-2006, 07:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hmm, interesting. I have major mechical coverage with Prudential. 80/20 $1500 deductible. I pay $1024 a YEAR. I sliced up my hand a while back working on the house ( no really ). The ER bill was over $1600. Long story short, the woman in the billing dept. told me to say I had no ins. and magically the bill dropped to $750. This was the second time in 19 years I had use of the coverage. My parebts didn't raise an idiot, not in my case anyway. I'll keep my policy.