Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-26-2006, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURFLORD
Hmm, interesting. I have major mechical coverage with Prudential. 80/20 $1500 deductible. I pay $1024 a YEAR. I sliced up my hand a while back working on the house ( no really ). The ER bill was over $1600. Long story short, the woman in the billing dept. told me to say I had no ins. and magically the bill dropped to $750. This was the second time in 19 years I had use of the coverage. My parebts didn't raise an idiot, not in my case anyway. I'll keep my policy.
I'll second that.

Chevy trucks, Exmark Lazers, enclosed trailers.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURFLORD
Hmm, interesting. I have major mechical coverage with Prudential. 80/20 $1500 deductible. I pay $1024 a YEAR. I sliced up my hand a while back working on the house ( no really ). The ER bill was over $1600. Long story short, the woman in the billing dept. told me to say I had no ins. and magically the bill dropped to $750. This was the second time in 19 years I had use of the coverage. My parebts didn't raise an idiot, not in my case anyway. I'll keep my policy.
$1024 a year? interesting. what a great price. tell me though, how did your er bill "magically" go down to $750? and why did they say u had no insurence? i'm confused
Old 01-26-2006, 09:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbygedd
$1024 a year? interesting. what a great price. tell me though, how did your er bill "magically" go down to $750? and why did they say u had no insurence? i'm confused
No BS $1024 py. Had the policy since I was 19. I called to ask if the bill was correct because I was surprised by the amount. She said it was. She had sypathy for me and told me to say I had no or couldn't afford any insurance so I could qualify for some kind of poverty level discount, either that or they didn't want me to complain about me sitting there for 4 hours waiting to see the doctor with my hand sliced open.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've complained about the high cost of health insurance in the past and have changed companies several times to keep premiums down but am glad I had the coverage this past year when I was diagnosed with lymphoma. One chemo treatment was around $10,000 ( I had six), CT scan(2)---$6 to $9 thousand, PET scan(2)--$6,500, bone marrow biopsy--$5,000,etc.
I didn't plan on getting sick and would be happy to have no insurance premiums but....
Old 01-27-2006, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Member

I couldn't imagine not having health insurance for myself and family, but I also couldn't imagine paying the premiums if one's spouse didn't have health insurance benefits.

I remember back in the early 90's having to pay my own premiums. They started out at around $225/month. My wife had to have a major operation, and then the fun began. Each quarter my premiums would increase, until a couple of years went by and my monthly premium exceeded 1200 bucks .

They wanted their money back, or wanted me to drop them one of the two...well, they got their wish, because I couldn't afford the premiums anymore, but it was worrisome not being insured with kids, etc. The industry is a scam anyway...just my 2 cents...
Old 01-27-2006, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

i believe that aetna insurance has a catastrophic insurance plan that covers only the extreme inujuries. let me do some digging and i'll try and give you some actual numbers.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GStover
I couldn't imagine not having health insurance for myself and family, but I also couldn't imagine paying the premiums if one's spouse didn't have health insurance benefits.

I remember back in the early 90's having to pay my own premiums. They started out at around $225/month. My wife had to have a major operation, and then the fun began. Each quarter my premiums would increase, until a couple of years went by and my monthly premium exceeded 1200 bucks .

They wanted their money back, or wanted me to drop them one of the two...well, they got their wish, because I couldn't afford the premiums anymore, but it was worrisome not being insured with kids, etc. The industry is a scam anyway...just my 2 cents...
Yes, real good point there that I should expand on for everyone's benefit...

A lot of health insurance companies do run a scam. This one I named "Fishing Rates" some time ago. Here's how it plays out and why they do it....

Say a company has an approved max rate of $1,200 per month for your specific class that they can charge for their coverage plan. They figure out most companies are charging $400-1,200 a month for similar coverage depending on risk. So what they do is lowball the other companies to the point where they are lower than any of the rates people have if they have been insured for say a year. They throw out a "Fishing Rate" of say $225 a month in hopes they will snag you from the competition.

They do this hoping all goes pretty well. But along the way, they also hope you do end up getting diagnosed with an illness that will cause you to be a rated class or uninsurable to another company. Then they have you not only hooked, but trapped.

Then in year two, the premiums increase to the maximum of $1,200 a month. If your health condition is no terribly expensive, they win and you have no choice but to pay the rate to them, or be rated with a new company at $2k, or take a plan that does not cover your condition, or do without insurance.

Anyways, the point is, they stole you from the competition with their bait, but truth be known, you would have been better off to went with the $600 a month company or stayed with them... the rates would have probably only increased to $630 a month... and if you were ever charged the maximum, it might have been like $800 and in order for that to have happened they would have had to charge the entire class that much.

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 01-30-2006, 04:44 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Bobby, you are right in your thinking that the insurance company will come out ahead. They are a business and that is what they try to do. But that does not mean that they are wrong. ( but they may not be totally right). We need health insurance-- With out it many people would not get coverage and would die. With out it the medical industry would not have the income needed to do as much research and our health care would not be as good as it is. The overall health of our Nation would be less.
Is the health care system perfect--NO WAY and far from it, but it is still very good and getting better. But that costs money--more money than most people have.
Fact-- most young people, with no family, are on the losing side of insurance
------Most older people, me included, are on the winning side.
There is a point that you even out. If you reach that point very slowly as you age, great. But --BUT ( and this is FACT) if you reach that point suddenly, say a heart attack, and you do not yet have insurance, the odds of you being able to buy it are next to 0. And you sir, are financially out of the game.

Time for questions-
Does you wife have coverage that you are not telling us about??
How did you pay for all you wifes tests and visits this summer??
Do you have car insurance? Why????
Old 01-30-2006, 08:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Been There and Done it

We went without health care for a few years, costs were just way too high at the time.If you have a family, insurance is a must, if something happens to your family a hospital will initially treat them in the emergency room and then if you have no insurance or house to put up as collateral they will ask you to leave.We were with Blue Cross and they got too expensive, went with Principal after a few years they were too expensive, went to another carrier for a couple of years and now we are back with BC. Point is you gotta shop around and/or keep a high deductible if need be.Find a higher deductible and keep part of what you were paying as your own private co-pay.I have posted on this site several times about health care, by the number of members we have here we should be able to get an awesome rate. There are obstacles to this concept, we are in different parts of the country and have no formal group structure. Obstacles can be overcome,we just need to contact the right person/company.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

pmlawn, my wife has no coverage. when she went to the hospital, i paid cash. when she went to all the doctors, i paid cash. all the tests, medication, etc, all cash. as far as the hospital, i tried wheeling and dealing, because i had cash, and they wouldn't budge. they did however, give me the option of applying for charity care rates. this works based on your income. if they determine you can't afford to pay, you're off the hook. if they determine you can afford only half the bill, you pay half. etc, etc. unfortunately, but fortunately, my wife had a great year in her business, and i had a great year in mine, and we didn't qualify for a discount. i was however, able to get a small reduction from the private doctors by paying cash. any other questions?