Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-26-2006, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah-pretty useless here too. Putting the # on your invoice is easy enough. Here we slap an orange sticker on the bumper and that's it. BUT................

The GOOD thing about it is that it means you have insurance and a buisiness license. In some towns here it is required for a permit to landscape (more $ for towns). Now the good thing is there is a town I work in that requires a permit which means you have to have the dept. of consumer affairs license, insurance, pesticide license, worker's comp, and more. All a big pain in the arse BUT...the town that requires permits actually has a guy that drives around and looks for the town permits on your truck, ENFORCING the law. This in turn means that in this town, the system works because there are never any unlicensed, uninsured landscapers working and all are legit companies playing on a level field. This is the best situation. In towns where there is no permit it is useless unless as AL inc. said you have to enforce a contract. So really, it depends on the town and it's requirements and especially the enforcement of the law which keeps the stinkin illegitimate children out!
Old 01-26-2006, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL Inc
Not enforced at all here, or very little. $200/year. Only problem is that a contract isn't enforceable by an unlicensed contractor. A client can just decide that they don't want to pay, and you are SOL. Then you have to resort to shovel method.
We got stopped twice last year. Had to show my ID card, and they called it in and verified everything. You guys should be greatfull for $90 bucks. We pay $500. every 2 years. $200yr, plus $100 to a restitution or "holy **** fund" as we call it.

<=====<<<< Success is getting what you want and happiness is wanting what you get.>>>>=====>
Old 01-26-2006, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Waiting on my #. In addition there is verbiage that you need to add into your contract. The three day rescission period now applies to us. Don't buy any supplies for a job until the three days is up. The customer has three days to cancel and you have to refund them 100% of their money. When speaking to my attorney, he said that it may be a little while before the truly start enforcing it, because of the flood of applications. He said that after that he believes that they will start enforcing it pretty strictly. You are right there are some pretty stiff penalties. I do think that in the long run it will be to our benefit. I believe that it will force the "non-professional" people, and fly by nights out of the industry
Old 01-26-2006, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Paponte, what is the extra $100 for?
Old 01-26-2006, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

the only part of the landscaping industry i think it will help out are the paver guys who maybe need permits for driveways, patios, etc. other than that its not gonna help the lawn maintenance biz at all....
Old 01-26-2006, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL Inc
Paponte, what is the extra $100 for?
Goes to cover a restitution fund. Pretty much if you screw up a job or go out of business, the consumer is covered up to a certain amount to have someone else fix or finish the job.

<=====<<<< Success is getting what you want and happiness is wanting what you get.>>>>=====>
Old 01-26-2006, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Member

3 quick questions...

How much insurance are they requiring?

Is there a restriction on using the word "landscape" or Landscaping" in a business name or ad without the new license?

Is there testing required with regard to Landscaping or is this "just pay me and go"?

Mike
La. Landscape Contractor #2576

Last edited by LandscapePro; 01-26-2006 at 06:38 PM.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Not sure about NJ, but in Suffolk County they require at least $300K in gls, yes there is a test, and any advertising requires that you state your HI license number on it.

Old 01-26-2006, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Paul,

thanks... In New York does the license requirement vary from county to county? Or is it pretty much the same state wide?

Mike
La. Landscape Contractor #2576
Old 01-26-2006, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I hope I didn't miss the extra $, I just renewed my license last week, and it said the fee was $400. I wasn't aware of the exrtra fee.