Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-16-2000, 12:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The pants thread got me thinking-whats everyone wear for footwear while mowing? Im more interested in those who use walkbehinds for obvious reasons. I usually wear work boots but man are my feet killing me when I get home. Sneakers dont work well for me on wet grass. What else do everyone wear?<p>Bill
Old 03-16-2000, 12:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

For comfort, Nike and others make those &quot;hiking&quot; walking shoes/boots that are really comfortable.<p>They're like a cross between a hiking, work boot and tennis shoe. They seem to provide the best of both world.<p>We do not our employees wear tennis shoes for obvious reasons.
Old 03-16-2000, 01:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Anything that has a steel toe,that is all I will wear.I know they can be hot and become heavy at the end of the day,but safety and the ankle support can't be beat!!I'm sure today they make something on the lighter side,mine are made by Lehigh and are not to bad.<p>----------<br>John <br>
Old 03-16-2000, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i know you think i am crazy but when i worked for another company and all i did was wedeat all day i would wear dive shose(mesh) they looked goofy but i could haul a$$ and if they got wet in the morning they would dry out in a matter of 10 minutes now i wear tennis shoes for a regular day and boots if i am doing any digging or clean-ups in heavy brush, keep an extra pair in the truck so if they do get wet you wont have wet shoes/boots all day , just say no to jungle rot<p>----------<br>CJC Landscape Management<br>Winter Haven, Florida
Old 03-16-2000, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I wear Red Wing 8&quot; steel toes. They are comfortable and durable. Most of all they are safe.
Old 03-16-2000, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello,<br>where i work full time we are made to wear steel toe boots. It is a insurance issue, and a company policy. We order direct from lehigh and they have a great selection from steel toe boots, sneakers, and even steal toe dress shoes. I usually get about 5 mths out of a pair of their leather boots, which is good for me. <p>I was wondering if any of you have insurance issues as to work boots/clothes? When I see these big companies around me, like the brickmans, ruperts, etc, there guys always have boots on, no sneaks. Just wondering.
Old 03-16-2000, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I wear non-steel toe hightop red wings. they are quite comfy with max support. I've been wearing red wings for the last 25 years or so and the quality of the boot has declined as the prices have greatly increased. all in all they still rate ok except no traction lugs on sole makes them unsuitable for steep hills and banks.<p>probably the best boot for mowing I bought used. it was a &quot;browning with gortex lining and heavy lug soles&quot;. new the boot was around $200, I got 'em for $30. I wore them every day untill I wore the gortex lining out.<p>I've wondered about toe safety in this profession and concluded that it is (99.999%) physically impossible to get my foot under the mower from the rear (lesco 48 WB). with safety switches operating normally there is no way (that I can see) that the front of the deck could get on my foot with the blades engaged. therefore, I don't wear steel toes. what am I missing the point on here? I didn't start this discussion but I'd appreciate comments as well. thanks.<p>GEO
Old 03-16-2000, 04:06 PM

i wear steal-toe work boots. The steel toe has come in handy before, once i got my foot run over by a Great Dane stander with a mind of its own.
Old 03-16-2000, 04:06 PM

i wear steal-toe work boots. The steel toe has come in handy before, once i got my foot run over by a Great Dane stander with a mind of its own.
Old 03-16-2000, 04:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I should clarify, I wear 8 inch Redwings now, but they are hot and heavy and expensive for what they are. Looking for something lighter. I agree steel toes are mostly useless for mowing, that 1/4 inch thick blade, if my foot ever got under that exmark, would make short order of any steel toe. <p>I have had a scare with my machine, slipped on a hill, guess what, human instinct is to hold on to something when you fall, I didnt let go of the handle on the mower, almost swung around and was ready to run back over me when I pulled myself back up.<p>Check your walkbehind, a twin cylinder at 3600rpm running three blades has a lot of momentum, it will keep moving for several seconds after you release the deadman. At least the John Deere would kill the blades and set the park brake when you released the handle. About the nicest thing about those machines.<p>Bill