Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-28-2006, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Gutter cleaning? To clean or not to clean???

How many others out thee are offering gutter cleaning as part of your clean up service? How many are offering gutter cleaning at all? Is it worth the time? I have been tossing it around recently.
Old 01-28-2006, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We offer it both as a stand alone service and as part of a seasonal maintenance package. I use a PB-751 from Echo with the gutter cleaning attachment, works out pretty well. A standard/average house only takes about 20 minutes tops to blow out gutters. Nice thing with the tube attachment is the ability to stick the end of it in the top of the downspout and shoot any debris out the bottom.
Old 01-29-2006, 01:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was thinking about offering it last year, and then decided not to. I have been thinking about it more this year, and I am leaning more towards doing it.
Old 01-29-2006, 01:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I did it when I offered maintenance.Try to stay off the roofs if possible do it from below.You will need to remove downsputs that are really clogged and clean them to..I charged by the job..depending on how bad they had been let go.Bad on a medium sz house could run up to $150.00..easy blow outs as low as $65.00
Old 01-29-2006, 01:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sheshovel: Yeah, the whole roof thing is exactly why I did not want to get into it last season. A lot of the homes around here are big 3k, 5, 10k sq ft, two story with some tough to get to gutters. I do not want to keep my roofing buddy in work by me, or one of my employees ripping up someones roof. However, it seems like an easy way to add a little coin to your pocket. I don't know, still throwing it around. $65- $150 is a nice little add on for a few minutes of work.
Old 01-29-2006, 02:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well it is just get yourself a harness and tie yourself off to something like a chimney,or something strong so's if you do fall..yer not dead.make it a very short leash and never get up on a roof if you are alone or if there is no one home.Wear boots with good tread like hikers,and stay off wet or icy or mossy at all costs,come back later when conditions are safer.
LADDERS are what's dangerous..invest in a good strong,tall one and make sure you tie the top if you can.NEVER use a homeowners ladder.I used to attach my handheld blower to my harness,throw a rope over my shoulder
leave both hands clear for climbing and always made sure I set that ladder on solid ground and that the legs were evenly shimmed up.It is still dangerous..but I kinda like danger sometimes
I had a long handled hoe I bent at a "scoop" angle and cut it down to fit un the gutters,sometimes you have to scoop out the crap that won't blow out.On your stomach and tied in.

Last edited by sheshovel; 01-29-2006 at 02:06 AM.
Old 01-29-2006, 02:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the info. If I do gutters I will most def. put it to use.