Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-14-2000, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Its raining so I have a few questions to put on here, one is have you ever sent out a questionare to a newly aquired customer? I was thinking about coming up with one and asking specific questions such as how early can we be in your yard, how late, when is the best time of the month to bill you, etc............ Has anyone tried this and if so was it useful info. Commercial accounts are no problem but residential customers are different. I usually don't start in a residential until after 9:00am and try not to be in one after 6:00 pm. Any feedback would be useful info.<p>Thanks <br>Homer
Old 04-14-2000, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Member

I have thought about using one to get feedback from my customers on my work. A lot of times I don't see the customer. If I'm doing something they dislike I would rather give them the chance to tell me so that I can fix it instead of losing that accout.
Old 04-14-2000, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i think that is a good idea, when you get one made up will you post it for the rest of us?<p>----------<br>CJC Landscape Management<br>Winter Haven, Florida
Old 04-14-2000, 04:59 PM

Homer, its raining here too. I don't know about this idea. They might get the idea that if they teel you what day and time is good. That you will stick to what they say and that they can dictate your scedule. Of course most of them will tell you friday or saturday at 12 noon. No sense giving them the idea that you are in control of your schedule more than you are.
Old 04-14-2000, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have never tried the questionaire...when I start a new customer I try to ask all of those same questions, but I always end up forgetting one or two. It is a good idea even if just to organize your thoughts. If it makes things easier so you can make money quicker...
Old 04-14-2000, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I send out a spring flyer to start the season with a section on the bottom for suggestions and comments in reguards to my service and how I can inprove to better meet thier needs.Out of 40 customers I may get 2 comments. I also have a section on the bottom of my monthly invoice that says:Please let me know if I can make any changes to better meet your needs. I very seldom get any change requests.
Old 04-15-2000, 01:14 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I guess your right, I mailed out a long letter last winter and asked everybody to contact me if they had any problems or wanted me to shuffle around their mowings to better suit them. I got one response, to move a couple of trips to the fall for leaf removal, maybe they really don't care that much!<p>Homer
Old 04-15-2000, 11:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

In the end,most people dont care as long as<br>the job gets done at around the right time.<br>A survey sounds like a good idea though,I was<br>thinking of doing one myself to see what other services they might need and also to <br>find out where they found me,eg.Yellow Pages<br>so I can work out how my advertising is <br>working.<p>Karl<br>
Old 04-15-2000, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You should always ask where they got your name, etc first thing, this way you know who to thank or where your ad dollars are going. As for the questionaire my experience has found that it usually causes more problems and questions in the customers mind than it solves for you. Unless you plan to use the info you collect in a positive way, i.e. make yourself more money or make your job easier leave the questions to Regis Philbin.<p>Bill
Old 04-15-2000, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Homer, I have used a short survey in the past. I like to pass one out in the early Summer just to get feedback from my customers. I ask a few simple questions and have a section for comments. My response rate <br>has been over 50% and most comments are positive, but when they are not it gives me a<br>chance to correct if at all possible. If nothing else, I feel that at least the customer feels that your are concerned about their business and want to be sure that they are pleased.