Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-10-2014, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Kindness:1- Rudeness:0

So I thought I'd share this with y'all to stress the importance of a good demeanor and attitude while on the job (and all the time) and how important being kind to people is.
I have an account that I picked up in the later part of last season. Its in the same neighborhood as a lot of my nicer lawns. Small property that's easy to do and the homeowner is super nice and always pays above what I charge. So, I did a leaf cleanup/lawn service this past week at the property. It involved all the good stuff like blowing out flower beds, raking leaves, etc. I mowed and sucked up all of the leaves in the front, trimmed/edged everything, and was blowing the front off. I still had to mow the back, but could not get the mower through the side gate due to the way the customer had parked in her driveway. My customer's property line reaches to the neighbor's driveway on one side. I always trim and edge it and then blow the clippings and dirt off. There was some leaves and I was blowing it off, but some went up against the house between the car and the house under the carport. I decided not to go walking under the carport and left the little bit of leaves up against the house. Gave the LandCruiser under the carport a quick blow to knock the dust off. The Landcruiser was already dirty, and the driveway already had some leaves on it. I cut the blower off and walk to the trailer to put the mower up and I hear "Before you put that up you need to come blow this s*** off!". I had earplugs in, so I turn around as I'm taking the earplugs out. I say "Excuse me?". "You need to come blow these leaves off the driveway before you put that up." The guy is standing by the carport and is an older gentleman who has a very intense look on his face. I walk over and he says something along the lines of blowing the vehicle off cause I got it all dirty and blowing the leaves off of the driveway. Rather than explain myself, I said "Cool. No problem, I'll take care of it." with a smile on my face. No attitude or anything, just being as genuine as I could be. I started putting my earplugs back in before he had the chance to say anything else. I blow it off, finish, put the blower up, and I see him outside looking but he didn't say anything to me. I was very irritated at the way he talked to me and wanted to confront him about it. He talked to me like a 12 year old and I was very frustrated at that, but I let it go.

Well, the next day that customer texted me and says I hope my neighbor wasn't too rude, he has the tendency to be rude...etc. So then, get this, she says he was so impressed with the way the lawn looked THAT HE ASKED FOR MY NUMBER!
I almost told her to tell him not to bother calling me, but I figured I'd give him a chance. I had only talked to him one other time in the past when he told me to blow his driveway off while I was still mowing. Again, I was very nice to him then, too. But if he talks to me like that again, I will have to tell him to please treat me like an adult and talk to me like an adult, or I will not be doing business with him.
18x8 flat bed w/custom removable gates and racks
2006 Great Dane Surfer 19/52
2002 eXmark Viking 36 hydro
2008 Hustler FasTrak Mini 17/36
eXmark Metro 26
2011 Honda HRC216HXA
Shindaiwa T242
Echo SRM-230
RedMax BCZ2450T
Shindaiwa Multi-tool
Shindaiwa EB802RT
Echo PB-755ST
Echo PB-210LE
Stihl HS45 Hedge Trimmer
Echo CS-400
Ryan LA28 Aerator FOR SALE

AMSoil Dealer
Old 03-10-2014, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a similar story that didn't end up like yours.

The neighbor was standing in his garage with a shotgun. I said to him "If you'd like to shoot it out with me, I'm all for it. I can go get my own and be back in a bit". He had no idea what to say.

Every week this guy was a problem.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmonkey0311 View Post

The neighbor was standing in his garage with a shotgun. I said to him "If you'd like to shoot it out with me, I'm all for it. I can go get my own and be back in a bit". He had no idea what to say.

yikes
18x8 flat bed w/custom removable gates and racks
2006 Great Dane Surfer 19/52
2002 eXmark Viking 36 hydro
2008 Hustler FasTrak Mini 17/36
eXmark Metro 26
2011 Honda HRC216HXA
Shindaiwa T242
Echo SRM-230
RedMax BCZ2450T
Shindaiwa Multi-tool
Shindaiwa EB802RT
Echo PB-755ST
Echo PB-210LE
Stihl HS45 Hedge Trimmer
Echo CS-400
Ryan LA28 Aerator FOR SALE

AMSoil Dealer
Old 03-10-2014, 02:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

So you really want to work for somebody like that? Sorry man but this doesn't sound like much of a victory. I would have blow his driveway off after I told him to talk to me like he had some sense.

Chevy trucks, Exmark Lazers, enclosed trailers.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:18 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmonkey0311 View Post

That's awesome hahahahaha
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-10-2014, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think the victory here is that you were able to maintain your professionalism and stayed polite.

Who knows if he works out as a client. Sometimes the hard ass jerks soften up after just a bit and become good to work with. Sometimes not.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good job. You catch more flies with honey than you do vinegar.

If it all goes south this is what Robert Earl Keen does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz47SXpbYdw
Old 03-11-2014, 08:07 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Might work out as a customer, no telling, I feel this incident has little bearing on that and it's too soon.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlawn View Post
Well, the next day that customer texted me and says I hope my neighbor wasn't too rude, he has the tendency to be rude...etc. So then, get this, she says he was so impressed with the way the lawn looked THAT HE ASKED FOR MY NUMBER!
I almost told her to tell him not to bother calling me, but I figured I'd give him a chance. I had only talked to him one other time in the past when he told me to blow his driveway off while I was still mowing. Again, I was very nice to him then, too. But if he talks to me like that again, I will have to tell him to please treat me like an adult and talk to me like an adult, or I will not be doing business with him.
He already has a reputation with your client. He's already established his demeanor toward you. I feel like you're setting yourself up for abuse.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
'14 Ariens Compact 24" Sno-Thro
'08 Troy Bilt Squall 2100
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 03-11-2014, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's about making money. U did the right thing. I don't care how people talk to me. All I care about is making money. If they want to talk to you like Your an idiot then at least now u r getting paid. If he is still an ass then next year raise his price