Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 205mx View Post
That's why I said ha ha ha. Nobody here bags. Nobody.
Posted via Mobile Device
Some time being different than your competition can give you a strategic edge & allow you to charge more & make more money. I don't want to compete with the kid down the street, that wants to charge $15 to $20 to cut a lawn.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oqueoque View Post
Some time being different than your competition can give you a strategic edge & allow you to charge more & make more money. I don't want to compete with the kid down the street, that wants to charge $15 to $20 to cut a lawn.
Lol ok man what ever
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-21-2014, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mow Mony View Post
So I have decided an all in one truck setup is in our future. Have a 2005 ram longbed regular cab that will work perfect.
anyone have pics of their longbed truck setup with landscaper bed?
or factory bed with dovetail/ramp setup?
or factory bed with just a different gate setup?
If so how has the ramp held up, which brand did you go with?

I know there are older threads, but many of the picture links don't work anymore, and most I find are huge cabover trucks or rangers.

Thinking about keeping the bed and just getting a tailgater or similar type ramp, or having the dovetail/gate made for it, not sure what would make the most sense.

On my ram I can still fit a 48" between the wheel wells, so currently thinking one 30" commercial exmark mower and one 48" turf tracer. Main reason for this setup will be parking it every night an affordable enclosed secure storage spot, which wouldn't be possible with a truck and trailer. Looking for efficiency, but also the capability to do most any lots we would normally service within that route area to keep it tight, hence the larger mowers than the standard 21" setup. Thanks for your input!
so anyone have some more info about their setups? Anyone in or around VA had a landscaper bed made, if so where and were you happy with the quality? people with just a folding gate setup, which one works the easiest and holds up the best? thanks!
Old 01-21-2014, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
so anyone have some more info about their setups? Anyone in or around VA had a landscaper bed made, if so where and were you happy with the quality? people with just a folding gate setup, which one works the easiest and holds up the best? thanks!
One thing you should double check on is that you will be allowed to store equipment with gas in an enclosed location. I have some rental units that the state & local fire department inspect yearly & my state's fire code require that anything combustible has to be stored at least 10 feet away from other structures. They even crack down on gas grills. Laws vary from state to state. I am not sure of the details of your plan, or your state's fire code, but you don't want to be tied into a lease that restricts your plan.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Member

In most cases combustibles can be stored in an OSHA approved flammable locker.
http://www.justritesafetyonline.com/...FdHm7AodMQsAHg

Whole buncha crud
Old 01-22-2014, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
One thing you should double check on is that you will be allowed to store equipment with gas in an enclosed location. I have some rental units that the state & local fire department inspect yearly & my state's fire code require that anything combustible has to be stored at least 10 feet away from other structures. They even crack down on gas grills. Laws vary from state to state. I am not sure of the details of your plan, or your state's fire code, but you don't want to be tied into a lease that restricts your plan.
never considered that, thanks for bringing it up. That would mean that every commercial gas powered piece of equipment in new jersey sits outside or in a covered but open area? I know that cant be right, or most break the law...unless I'm misreading your response.

I know many contractors down here who store loaded trucks with equipment in enclosed multi unit/walled off warehouse buildings. Others that leave a loaded trailer in one and hook/unhook the tow vehicle daily which I'd like to avoid. I will be sure to do my due diligence before signing any lease though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn_jockey View Post
yeah I see those cabinets pop up used on clist from time to time, If that's what I need for the cans I would understand. Need to find that out for sure.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn_jockey View Post
That's true, but how do you get your mower in a locker? Most free standing buildings & single family properties have less restrictions, and again this varies from state to state. Where I am, I have had people want to move into a duplex, thinking they could put a 3 foot above ground pool in the backyard. The town wants s fence around any pool that high, I like that law. I hate cutting around above ground pools. I always want around $10 more to cut. It would not hurt for Mow More to check to see if his enclosed storage location didn't create a problem, a couple months after he moves in. Laws are normally more restrictive on renters & landlords. Single family owners will not put up with it. They vote more often.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
never considered that, thanks for bringing it up. That would mean that every commercial gas powered piece of equipment in new jersey sits outside or in a covered but open area? I know that cant be right, or most break the law...unless I'm misreading your response.

I know many contractors down here who store loaded trucks with equipment in enclosed multi unit/walled off warehouse buildings. Others that leave a loaded trailer in one and hook/unhook the tow vehicle daily which I'd like to avoid. I will be sure to do my due diligence before signing any lease though.

It might vary state to state, but I checked with the big national company "Public Storage" in my area & they said I could store a vehicle in their unit, but other than the gas in the truck, I was not able to store any equipment with flammable liquids, including mowers, handhelds, or gas cans. Here in New Jersey there are many restrictions. The fire code allows us to lessen the restrictions, if we do certain things like installing hard wired interconnected smoke alarms or automatic fire suppression systems, or alarms with a dedicated phone line that sends the alarm directly to the fire station. There are some garages here that are not registered with the state or the local Bureau of Fire Prevention and Inspections so they never get inspected & they can do whatever you want.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
oh i got ya now. dont want to look like some goob rookie who doesnt bag. dont want to come off as some mowing hack. i hear ya. it would suck to have a set up like these guys
http://www.landscapeservicesinc.com/
Old 03-01-2014, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Lawn Jockey...did you know Just Mowings' websites are not up anymore? Same with their franchise style website.

Do you know what's going on with that?
Closed Thread