Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Subbing out makes even less sense. A 30 dollar lawn won't get subbed for any less than 26-27 at best. 3-5 bucks per isn't even going to start to cover the cost of an administrative referral service. You can't be a sub using their trucks and equipment either. Who verifys the work and provides quality control. Nothing of what is being put out here makes any business or even common sense.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-05-2014, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Subbing out makes even less sense. A 30 dollar lawn won't get subbed for any less than 26-27 at best. 3-5 bucks per isn't even going to start to cover the cost of an administrative referral service. You can't be a sub using their trucks and equipment either. Who verifys the work and provides quality control. Nothing of what is being put out here makes any business or even common sense.
Posted via Mobile Device
Your #s may not be right. When I moved to Phoenix I worked as an independent contractor for a pool company for extra money. He got $15-20/pool, I made $6-9/pool. If I was humping it I could do $15-20/hr. If these guys have a similar split (and I guarantee the cutters are humping), the company's making a good bit better than $3-5/lawn.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

It's completely possible... Think about it...

They have all those set ups available... Trucks, mowers, trimmers, blowers, etc...

They put out ads looking for people who want to start their own business in the "green industry" (buzz word)

The work out a deal on paper where they provide all of the equipment and training AND CUSTOMERS needed to get started in the business.

After that it's almost like a lease or a rent to own type of set up....

These new owners are getting their feet wet in "their" new businesses and giving the Mow Managers a cut of the profit.

If you noticed, Lawn Jockey mentioned a "Short Leash." Which can all be accomplished with the contract or paperwork....

There had been rumors that they had something special being planned and that's why Mr. Justice wasn't on here talking about it...

If you ask me, this is a pretty good idea......

Personally, I would rather be doing things how I am doing them, starting my own ship from the ground up but hey, different strokes for different folks... in different parts of the country too......
Old 03-06-2014, 12:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We got a new customer from JustMowing, customer said they were told they had gone out of biz... well at least maybe in our area. We charged almost double the rate the customer was paying them and still got the job. They were paying $26 and it was really a $50 yard in my opinion, we took it for $47 and the customer seemed happy. Said they could not believe they had only been paying $26 for so many years.
14x7 landscaping trailer
12x6 P&T hydro dump trailer w/leaf box
We run Gravely ZTRs, Honda 21"s, Kawasaki trimmers, Redmax Backpacks, LittleWonder loader
Old 03-06-2014, 01:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemco View Post
We got a new customer from JustMowing, customer said they were told they had gone out of biz... well at least maybe in our area. We charged almost double the rate the customer was paying them and still got the job. They were paying $26 and it was really a $50 yard in my opinion, we took it for $47 and the customer seemed happy. Said they could not believe they had only been paying $26 for so many years.
...and what a concept, they're out of business (if that's the case).
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-06-2014, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JContracting View Post
...and what a concept, they're out of business (if that's the case).
Posted via Mobile Device
IF....they're out of business. Remember, Memphis wasn't one of their first markets for Just Mowing. Memphis, unless I'm wrong, was kind of a flagship, part of their Mowing Managers concept. Meaning, that businessman/woman might have went out of business, not TJ or Mike Justice.

Just my thoughts.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Customers saying they went out of business means nothing. I worked for a company that downsized, when we moved operations, our customers were telling everyone we went out of business. Customers aren't really into the business like we are. And we all know how crazy they are!!

I'm still stuck on my theory they weren't as big as they said they were. Not saying it was a hoax or anything...but just saying some rumors could have been started on LS about them. They very well could have done volume, but volume to them could have been 1,000 customers....which is still a lot, but not the 17,000 someone said they were doing. While DFW took the same approach, he also has fert routes, which I think gives him a large advantage of having the concept work for him.

Doing a simple google search for Mike Justice Just Mowing, I came across this address where is "office" is at. 643 Harvest Glen Dr Richardson, Texas 75081 Run that address under google earth. For a person who owns such a large company, thats the house he chose to live in??? There are a lot of things that don't add up. For a company that depends on large volume, the web presence doesn't even show it.

https://www.google.com/#q=just+mowing

The top 4 are Yelp reviews, then their website and then a youtube video...that doesn't sound odd to you? I googled my own business and I am all over the first page, including pictures and I'm a part timer.

It sounds like Mow Managers is a come back attempt at a new service to start over. Kinda like when Britney Spears got into make up after her music faded away. If you had a business plan that worked well, you make a killing off of it, would you get rid of it to start something else??? I know I wouldn't.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

It can happen,I just read an article in a trade magazine about a company doing almost 150 million in revenue. During and after the recession he took a hard look at his numbers.

He slowly phased out that company and started another in a similar field that was still flourishing despite the economic downturn.

Different industry but the principles apply.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-06-2014, 05:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmonkey0311 View Post
Doing a simple google search for Mike Justice Just Mowing, I came across this address where is "office" is at. 643 Harvest Glen Dr Richardson, Texas 75081 Run that address under google earth. For a person who owns such a large company, thats the house he chose to live in??? There are a lot of things that don't add up. For a company that depends on large volume, the web presence doesn't even show it.

[
House seems like a fairly modest home. Granted nothing you'd put a grand piano in...but maybe he's not into those things. Warren Buffet lives a modest lifestyle...he's richer than all the lco's on lawnsite...probably x's 10. To each their own I guess.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy123 View Post
House seems like a fairly modest home. Granted nothing you'd put a grand piano in...but maybe he's not into those things. Warren Buffet lives a modest lifestyle...he's richer than all the lco's on lawnsite...probably x's 10. To each their own I guess.
This house is a far cry from the picture they posted before of their house. I know "the plumbers toilet gets fixed last" but they can't take care of their own lawn?

I dunno, the whole thing sounded amazing at first. All of his posts were awesome. The concept was almost genius. I think it was just a little over inflated by people speculating.
Closed Thread