Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

For the kind of properties that we service, 21 inchers just dont make sense. Granted, we always have atleast 2 on every trailer at any given times because they do work very well when the ground is moist.
Stihl and Echo handhelds
Commercial Applicator Certified in 3A and 3B
Old 03-07-2014, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know his numbers but mine hoovers at 4500 and in years past close to 5000 , I don't do push I use big mowers on small lawns, but it is about the same in therory only the scale has changed.

It has took me 15 years to be at my point,
It is word of mouth, flyers with different names ,radio ads, newspaper ads (half page stuff)
Along with word of mouth and cold calling.( I don't have customer turnover a lot due to quality standards say 10 drops a year per crew. We lose most of ours from fire, death, health and the big one moving out of a town.
Again I don't know his numbers but I know I have less then 20 trucks with names on them, none of those names match in font color design . We have uniforms but I would guess that 80%_90% of my guys you would just assume is another new guy, nothing fancy, flashy, so under the radar of you don't work next to them you wouldn't know them.

I changed my outlook a bit about 3 years back when I wanted more from my company then to be big, it is a change being full service( but I can say all the mowing in the world can't make half the money as the add ons.
It will take me 5 years to change over to enclosed trailers.
I can not speak of just mow it as I am nowhere near his market in texas, however my guys in Memphis has seen the crews there, this year hasn't kicked in to know if they are still in business there. 3-4 still before they get moving good.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-08-2014, 07:34 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

^^^^^^

So you're doing between 3-5.5 million in revenue with no website and no computers?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-08-2014, 07:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
No way do you get to the purported numbers they claim by not Googling lawn mowing in whatever city and them coming up first every time. How else would you propose building a consistent base of thousands of customers without advertising? Not word of mouth I can tell you.
Posted via Mobile Device
I can tell you a website isn't everything. It varies on your market and industry.

I have another business that hardly gets any online hits. But our print media sells up to $20k every two weeks
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-08-2014, 07:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The internet does seem to be everything to most of the business world now regardless of service, product or trade. 15 years ago when you needed something or something done you reached for the yellow pages. Business took out full page ads and started their name with as many "A"s as they could to get the that coveted first listing. Now somebody wants/needs something out comes the phone,pad or laptop and their homepage is probably a search engine. To think you can be a significant prescence without it is denial.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-08-2014, 08:09 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Im giving Patriot props on this one. He had this guy figured out from the beginning.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-08-2014, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
The internet does seem to be everything to most of the business world now regardless of service, product or trade. 15 years ago when you needed something or something done you reached for the yellow pages. Business took out full page ads and started their name with as many "A"s as they could to get the that coveted first listing. Now somebody wants/needs something out comes the phone,pad or laptop and their homepage is probably a search engine. To think you can be a significant prescence without it is denial.
Posted via Mobile Device
It's not denial. It depends on your business venue. I'm proof of it. We ranked #1 or 2for every possible search term. And our print media blew it away

It really depends on your business and area
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-08-2014, 08:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
It's not denial. It depends on your business venue. I'm proof of it. We ranked #1 or 2for every possible search term. And our print media blew it away

It really depends on your business and area
Posted via Mobile Device
Last I checked we were talking the green industry in major metro areas.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-08-2014, 08:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll update this week when I go to do some tree trimming for the poor old lady and hear some more whining about Just Mow It. You would be surprised how many customers are contacting me this year on my Flyers mentioning the "Family Owned and Ran." I feel it's to my advantage. I signed up two officers yesterday. The first thing one of them asked, was who all will be working in my lawn. Mam, we don't send random people to your property. We are family owned and ran just as ad says. The one speaking with you right now, will be on your property every day with no surprises. No wonder my customer was complaining about quality. I can understand their concept, but when you grow so big you have to subcontract on a daily basis, your customers doesn't know who's going out to their property. If you have one customer talking bad on your company name, I'm sure there's many others doing the same. You build a company by building a positive image of yourself, not by building a negative image and then thinking your just going to recruit more customers. If you got the money for marketing, it's entirely to do for so long, it's entirely possible to drop clients, and keep finding new ones to replace. With or without a website if you know what your doing, but you can only drop and build new clients for so long before the words out there. Negative word spreads twice as fast as positive words.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

A web page is impossible for me, I have looked into it
I would need 94 individual names to get my name in front of my clients as I don't work from a single area.
At least that is what I believe . Miss jones in town needs a quote se looks up lawncare in Nashville.... Bing there I am? If I understand that correctly I would need a site like
XLS of Lawrence, Giles , Hickman, Putnam,Cheatham,Davidson..... For 94 counties let alone the numbers of sites needed to get on searches like city name.(Nashville -miss jones searches Brenwood,Franklin,Merfreesboro all around Nashville.

I found it much easier to place flyer specifically into clients hands that we wanted to prevent the odd out of route client like just mow it gets.

If a web page guru can inform me how to get one page to represent my company and come up on searches pm me .
Posted via Mobile Device
Closed Thread