Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 07:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsyardcare View Post
Are you serious? Man we only use large mowers 2- 52" Toro GS's 1- exmark 32" 1- exmark 48" go big- make $$$ we use the 21" for pools and tiny strips, about 3x per day
Yes, he is serious. It depends on the property type. I mostly use 21's and they work great. But all my lawns are smaller and "postage stamp" where as yours may not be. Would I mow 3/4 acre with 21's? Heck no.

I doubt justmowit is sitting back laughing. Although I thought his story and his plan were great, I just don't see it working. I hope he can comment on this. Hard to believe no one talks to him?
Old 03-11-2014, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

More than likely....he and his father are sitting back laughing at this thread. He left the site in 2006 ish because he let the cat out of the bad as to how to run a business with systems that could be duplicated time and time again. He was netting about 300k(NET) that was split with his partner(dad). We can all ***** and moan how big a mower he should use, or this or that.....whatever! The point is he did it, and there were a few companies that copied him like DFW and made it work as well. Last I knew he had about 2500 lawns just in Texas, and I know he expanded into other states. His net was only going to increase as he grew,at some point its time to cash in the chips and reap the rewards that he worked so hard to achieve. Id bet bank he and his dad are multi-millionaires for this 10 yr road trip they created. Even if it blew up in the end,it was a ride that most of us will only dream of. Whatever business plan they have or had are difficult at best to keep long term with the way the gov. has their hands in everything, and changing things up on us!
Old 03-11-2014, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLI View Post
More than likely....he and his father are sitting back laughing at this thread. He left the site in 2006 ish because he let the cat out of the bad as to how to run a business with systems that could be duplicated time and time again. He was netting about 300k(NET) that was split with his partner(dad). We can all ***** and moan how big a mower he should use, or this or that.....whatever! The point is he did it, and there were a few companies that copied him like DFW and made it work as well. Last I knew he had about 2500 lawns just in Texas, and I know he expanded into other states. His net was only going to increase as he grew,at some point its time to cash in the chips and reap the rewards that he worked so hard to achieve. Id bet bank he and his dad are multi-millionaires for this 10 yr road trip they created. Even if it blew up in the end,it was a ride that most of us will only dream of. Whatever business plan they have or had are difficult at best to keep long term with the way the gov. has their hands in everything, and changing things up on us!
You must have seen his bank statements. Key word in your post "did". Now it appears he no longer does. All that gear cost more than he probably made. The old saying easy come easy go comes to mind. Downed websites and disconnected numbers don't sound very funny to me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-11-2014, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
He is probably not laughing right now because his website is down. Normally he would be doing 3000 estimates....
Posted via Mobile Device
It was automated through the website

Volume works no matter what anyone says. He had/has a low cost setup with trucks that get great fuel mileage.

His business model may not work in your area. Just because it won't work in your area area there is no reason to put this down.

If this business model would work in my area I would go for it in a heart beat
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-11-2014, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
It was automated through the website

Volume works no matter what anyone says. He had/has a low cost setup with trucks that get great fuel mileage.

His business model may not work in your area. Just because it won't work in your area area there is no reason to put this down.

If this business model would work in my area I would go for it in a heart beat
Posted via Mobile Device
All Im saying is his model was based on internet estimates. His website is down when he should be cranking out estimates in the beginning of the season. A multi million dollar company estimating website should not be down for very long.

Volume does work when making money. You know what they say "If your loosing a little on each account just add more accounts"....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-11-2014, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah and it hurts less to less 20 $20 accounts than one $400 account.

$20 accounts are easy to replace. $400 accounts? Not so much
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-11-2014, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device
Its all about diversification. Resi, com, muni, big accounts and small.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-11-2014, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Its all about diversification. Resi, com, muni, big accounts and small.
Posted via Mobile Device
This is lawn site. No one does commercial. There is absolutely no money in commercial because all the low balling hacks have completely ruined it every where. You're wasting you're time not doing anything but residential.

note: sarcastic
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-11-2014, 11:18 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
This is lawn site. No one does commercial. There is absolutely no money in commercial because all the low balling hacks have completely ruined it every where. You're wasting you're time not doing anything but residential.

note: sarcastic
Posted via Mobile Device
LOL...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-11-2014, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device
Any other time somebody mentions a 20 dollar account a zillion cries of LOWBALLER ring out. Somehow this situation is regarded as genius.
Posted via Mobile Device
Closed Thread