Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
Give an inch, they take a mile. At this point, with as large as they apparently are, why would you talk to anyone? I get that people can be charitable with their time (I do that a lot, myself), but there comes a point where the game does change. He could just as easily sell consulting or "how to" courses, but what's the point in doing that, given the operation, and the time consumption, that they likely have. It would be like showing up at Bob Walmart's house and saying "Hey, teach me to run a store. I promise I won't do it on your turf.". There's plenty you can learn just by walking in to a Walmart and observing. You do your best to reverse-engineer and fill in the gaps with your own knowledge. There's no magic to what they do, they just have it nailed down.

They have a sales process (you can look at half of it yourself. the other half requires a phone call), they have a finite set of services, and they hire for a very specific skillset. They outfit those guys with exactly what is needed to do the job. They apply a process flow to handle every customer, likely without much, if any, flexibility. They implement the best, most efficient routing to service those customers (clustering). And, for the strict parameters they work in, they charge what they need to both make a profit and dominate a market. In return, the customers pay that fixed amount and the service they signed up for is the service they receive.

You only need request a quote from their site to see how tight they run their ship. Put in a property size that's too large, they tell you "sorry, we don't mow properties that size". If it's a "typical" suburban lot, they'll automatically kick back with "Your total cost is $34.00, and your state tax is $2.81. Do you want front and back done? Here's the other cost, if you don't. When do you want to start?". That's a finite system that leaves customers they're not interested in out looking elsewhere. They have zero emotional, or human, investment in that. That kind of magic, and luxurious freedom to say no, often comes with successful scaling. To get to scale is the rub for everyone. Anyone can try to do what they do, but most don't have what it takes. I'm sure TJ would be the first to tell you it's not magic, it's sound business decisions, a system of interconnected processes, understanding of exact costs and the lifetime value of a customer that would make Fortune 500 companies envious.

So, whenever this topic of Just Mowing comes up, I'm mostly amused because people spend more time wondering how to get an audience with the Pope rather than to take a good hard look at what the Pope has done and storyboard their own magical scenario. Get a whiteboard and start at the beginning... My dos cents.

Thank you!
Old 01-11-2014, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Member

There other company is Mow Managers.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy123 View Post
Thank you!
I think it depends a lot on what area you're in as well. I work around Anne Arundel county and I could never charge $20 for 2+ acres. If you're closer to DC in the city, Bethesda, etc this is a terrific business model.

There is a ton of money to be made in Montgomery county if someone wanted to pursue this model. I would, but the travel time to mon county would kill me
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-11-2014, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowing4cash View Post
There other company is Mow Managers.
Is Mow Managers a franchise business they started?

Just started reading their website...it explains a lot.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I would say for this model to work you need an unlimited supply of small properties and HB2 workers. Without the volume and labor the model will fail. It wont work in most areas. IMO this model is much harder to make work vs charging normal rates on high quality work. But obviously justmowit made it work and was really the pioneer in his area. Sounds like others in his area are using his model and taking a piece of his pie. The problem with volume/price models will always be lack of loyalty. Its always going to attract price shoppers and the next company will always be willing to charge a little less. Justmowit is a smart business man and grabbed a huge market share before others caught on though.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-12-2014, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

He has over 20,000 customers. Approximately 520,000 a week in revenue. It would take a significant drop of loosing customers for him to feel it
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-12-2014, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
He has over 20,000 customers. Approximately 520,000 a week in revenue. It would take a significant drop of loosing customers for him to feel it
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-12-2014, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
I gotta ask where you got this info from? This a privately owned company and is not going to publish it's P&L statements on the internet. I saw maybe a hundred online reviews (not that I put much stock in them anyways) where I would have expected to see thousands in the major review sites.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
I gotta ask where you got this info from? This a privately owned company and is not going to publish it's P&L statements on the internet. I saw maybe a hundred online reviews (not that I put much stock in them anyways) where I would have expected to see thousands in the major review sites.
Research deeper lol. He's talked about a lot. He used to be a very open company until everyone tried to go after him
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-12-2014, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

So this mow manager company is him expanding to other cities?
Closed Thread