Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-30-2006, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

occasional hesitation engine problem

I have a toro z master with 19hp kaw engine.It runs fine normally,but sometimes hesitates in power at times until i crank up speed.This clears it out,then i resume to lower speed.Is this dirt passing through lines?It has 1450 hours on it.Never had carb rebuilt.should i do this and blow out lines?I already changed fuel filter.I've also occasionally added carb cleaner to fuel tanks.The thing is it doesn't happen often.I didn't want to yank carb unless i have too.What do you think?Thanks for any help.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Lawn Equipment is designed to run full throttle.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:28 PM
LawnSite Member

there are several common issues with these twin cyls kawasaki's.
I would have the carb cleaned just to make sure its not clogged or dirty. but also make sure you have the right air filter in it (kawi uses 2 different carbs and air filters, external and internal vent) a mismatch will cause rich running.
also if you have a external vent carb ( air vent line coming out of the top of the carb), it needs to have a long vent line, going away from the engines cooling air flow so it does not disturb the bowl pressure and make it run rich.

Good Luck
Old 01-30-2006, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Member

I have to agree with both posts above.

If you are working the machine, the throttle should always be wide open. That is the way they are designed to operate.

To expand upon what Viper said - the two air filters look identical, but they are not. The part number is the only way to tell them apart. There was another thread here where Restrorob provided the service bulletins identifying the carbs and showing the correct filters for them.

Given that you live to the north a bit as I do, there is one other possibility, and that is water (moisture from condensation) in the carb from the varying temperatures we get. Grab a small bottle of gas line antifreeze and put a "splash" in the tank. Remember that the small bottles are intended to treat 60 or 70 litres (a typical car tank full), so you don't need a lot in the mower (1/4 of the bottle or so to a full tank). A little extra won't hurt, but don't give it the whole bottle. Run the engine for a while to allow any moisture to get soaked up and removed. This may help. It is a common problem here.

deej
Old 02-01-2006, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the info guys.How hard are these carbs. to rebuild?I might just have dealership do this as well as blow out gas lines.Treating myself to this ,iswhat,same as wife getting a pedicure.I'll check on air filter too.