Isn't it obvious?

Water

Fert

Weed control

Time
Old 02-15-2006, 02:59 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Ha! Cart before horse.

Unless you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night, shouldn't you obtain the knowledge to do all this before you obtain new customers?
Old 02-15-2006, 07:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

There are many seasoned professionals on this site that are extremely helpful to the newbies. Unfortunately, there are also a few arrogant individuals that seem to validate their status with "comeback" postings.

People ask questions on this site to gain experience and help. For those of you not willing to answer questions such as Collin's, why don't you keep your opinions to yourself.

Collin,
It is off-season, so wait until spring and take a look at the situation. Most HOA's are not going to the expense to install irrigation, if it is not already stubbed. Therefore, you will have to get a licensed applicator in there for a year, or two to bring the lawn around. Use proper cutting techniques during the season and offer a fall aeration and over-seeding.

Good Luck
Old 02-20-2006, 01:27 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyOwn
There are many seasoned professionals on this site that are extremely helpful to the newbies. Unfortunately, there are also a few arrogant individuals that seem to validate their status with "comeback" postings.

People ask questions on this site to gain experience and help. For those of you not willing to answer questions such as Collin's, why don't you keep your opinions to yourself.

Collin,
It is off-season, so wait until spring and take a look at the situation. Most HOA's are not going to the expense to install irrigation, if it is not already stubbed. Therefore, you will have to get a licensed applicator in there for a year, or two to bring the lawn around. Use proper cutting techniques during the season and offer a fall aeration and over-seeding.

Good Luck
Well, maybe the opinions include ones like these:

Adding tons of incompetent individuals to the industry, those not ready to perform the services competently before hanging out their own shingle, only serves to destroy its perception in the economy. This affects each of us in our ability to demand a fair price for our services, since if we're all perceived as yahoos by the public why should anyone pay us what we're worth? I would say that "how do you get grass really green?" qualifies as a question by someone who isn't qualified to have his own lawn business yet. Hence my comment "cart before the horse". Would you like your new home built by someone who has to ask "hey, how do you build a house" on an internet forum?" Or your surgery performed by an individual who asks "what's a pancreas?" It's just a matter of degree.

Some of us might happen to have the opinion that it's unfair for unlicensed and uninsured individuals to go out wreaking havoc on lawns and water sources that results in more onerous government regulation for the rest of us. You see, it may not be obvious to you, but if you don't know what makes grass green, it's likely that you haven't passed a licensing test, and if you aren't licensed, you certainly do not have insurance for applications. And if you don't know that overapplying nitrogen near a lake will soon have it full of algae, it will result in a lot of smelly dead fish, a garish green color, and the homeowners marching down to city hall and demanding we all get further formal training that the rest of us competent, licensed applicators don't really need. All because some guy decided this was so easy he could learn the business in a few posts on the internet.

Read your history. Guilds and apprenticeships were once mandatory to even work in many fields. Is it too much to ask someone to maybe get take a short correspondence course in his field at a cost of about $300 before letting loose on the community?

I have literally read posts here asking how to change blades. The individuals mowed and mowed on customers' lawns till the blades were stumps before even thinking about it. Do you think that maybe that makes these customers see as something approaching Forrest Gump? And that maybe it'd be in everyone's interest, his included, to at least get some rudimentary training before heading out there?

You can read my posts and see that most of them are answers to questions by "newbies" and trying to be helpful. But I'm not going to sit here and pretend that it isn't asinine to start signing up customers before you know what you're doing.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bruce 32,

I understand and abide your comments as a licensed, insured professional with a Bachelor's degree in business. I do agree with you that many folks with a S-10, a mtd 21" and a pair of magnetic signs are problematic for our industry. These are valid concerns.

I do, however, have concerns for others on this site (not you) that cannot use the English language higher than an eighth grade level, and attest to being the most professional on this site. I see ridiculously poor skill sets from a communication angle and have to wonder about the business side of their company. Therefore, I give Collin the benefit of the doubt that he asks a simple question, in simple terms to receive an answer. I do not know his background and I did not look at his Avatar prior to posting. I do know that there are many posts on here worthy of ignoring, while others peak my interest.

Regardless of client perception, this industry is heading toward regulation at a State, or local level. They will not keep their hands out of the pie, if so many people are eating from it.

Good luck and profitability in the coming season.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Collin,
I suggest that you consider using humates, as in humic acid, fluvic acid on these lawns instead of increaseing nitrogen and iron. The humate will make the iron and nitrogen you do apply more efficient and result in a greener grass. Humate will also increase the water retention ability of the soil which improves drought tolerance of the plants. Humate isnt a cure all and does need to be re-applied. You might also consider core areation and applying micorrhiza fungi to the lawns. Michorriza will help make rock phosphates soluibile for easier uptake thru the plant roots. Micorrhiza threads will grow thru the soil and increase the amount of water that is available to the plants as well. There are companies that sell humate products that already contain micorrhiza and other benefitual bacteria that can be mixed in water and sprayed on the lawn. These products can be mixed with fertilizer so both can be applied at the same time. You cannot mix the micorrhiza and bacterial products with chemical pesticides and fungicides.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Member

IRON
Old 02-21-2006, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Call me if u need help

I'm located in Winston-Salem and own a unique combination of services......A maid service and lawn care company...... we can take care of the inside and outside of the home. We also maintain a substantial quantity of square footage in the commercial market.

Judging from the answers on here, you aren't going to get much of what the site was designed for....help. They all started out as "green horns" too.

I'll be glad to talk to you if you'd like. Look up House Matters Cleaning Service in the phone directory and I'll advise ya the best I can from here!
Old 02-21-2006, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucec32
Well, maybe the opinions include ones like these:

Adding tons of incompetent individuals to the industry, those not ready to perform the services competently before hanging out their own shingle, only serves to destroy its perception in the economy. This affects each of us in our ability to demand a fair price for our services, since if we're all perceived as yahoos by the public why should anyone pay us what we're worth? I would say that "how do you get grass really green?" qualifies as a question by someone who isn't qualified to have his own lawn business yet. Hence my comment "cart before the horse". Would you like your new home built by someone who has to ask "hey, how do you build a house" on an internet forum?" Or your surgery performed by an individual who asks "what's a pancreas?" It's just a matter of degree.

Some of us might happen to have the opinion that it's unfair for unlicensed and uninsured individuals to go out wreaking havoc on lawns and water sources that results in more onerous government regulation for the rest of us. You see, it may not be obvious to you, but if you don't know what makes grass green, it's likely that you haven't passed a licensing test, and if you aren't licensed, you certainly do not have insurance for applications. And if you don't know that overapplying nitrogen near a lake will soon have it full of algae, it will result in a lot of smelly dead fish, a garish green color, and the homeowners marching down to city hall and demanding we all get further formal training that the rest of us competent, licensed applicators don't really need. All because some guy decided this was so easy he could learn the business in a few posts on the internet.

Read your history. Guilds and apprenticeships were once mandatory to even work in many fields. Is it too much to ask someone to maybe get take a short correspondence course in his field at a cost of about $300 before letting loose on the community?

I have literally read posts here asking how to change blades. The individuals mowed and mowed on customers' lawns till the blades were stumps before even thinking about it. Do you think that maybe that makes these customers see as something approaching Forrest Gump? And that maybe it'd be in everyone's interest, his included, to at least get some rudimentary training before heading out there?

You can read my posts and see that most of them are answers to questions by "newbies" and trying to be helpful. But I'm not going to sit here and pretend that it isn't asinine to start signing up customers before you know what you're doing.

I agree with you..But there are some questions from new guys that they don't know what to do and they get all wound up over it, so we as professionals need to try to help. I'm not into hand holding them for every little thing but sometimes a little help gets them going on there own..
Old 02-21-2006, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

he just started out and he knows the answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngbuck
iron makes the grass green but nitrogen makes it green and promotes shoot growth but u need rain u can put down all the fert you want but kn ow rain no grow.
youngbusck is going to school, and learning the things he needs to succeed in this business,

its not an insult to tell someone they need the proper training to do a certain job, telling the guy to put down nitrogen or iron when he is unlicenced is irresponsable....

you can tell him what he wants to hear or you can tell him the truth......the truth is more helpful then stroking him to make him feel he is ready if he is not.....

i still like the spray paint... works great...
6 full time