Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-02-2006, 10:48 AM
2k1yzfr1 2k1yzfr1 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Waco Texas
Posts: 536
Mulching 34Z's Exmark or Gravely?

I am purchasing a small Z in the next month and I'm trying to figure out what is the best deal. For my dealers open house they are selling the new Exmark for 4599 and the Gravely for 4099. By the time that I put a 17-19 Kawi on the Gravely and sell the 15 they will be pretty much identical $ wise. I'm wondering which mower will mulch better? Do you think the new hydro set up on the Exmark will be as good as the Gravely?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-02-2006, 11:15 AM
SouthernYankee's Avatar
SouthernYankee SouthernYankee is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k1yzfr1
I am purchasing a small Z in the next month and I'm trying to figure out what is the best deal. For my dealers open house they are selling the new Exmark for 4599 and the Gravely for 4099. By the time that I put a 17-19 Kawi on the Gravely and sell the 15 they will be pretty much identical $ wise. I'm wondering which mower will mulch better? Do you think the new hydro set up on the Exmark will be as good as the Gravely?

Why would you replace the 15hp kaw. on the Gravely? There isnt a need to replace the 15 on the Gravely since it has plenty of power and is certainly not underpowered. I mulch st.aug and I weigh almost 260lbs and the engine never bogs down even when I hit a patch of tall grass. You will be wasting your money if you switch out engines.

I know nothing about the exmark, I am sure that it will be a solid machine, but I have had zero problems with the Gravely and it is a perfect machine for my particular market.
__________________
---------------------------------------------------


Roll Tide Roll
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-02-2006, 02:46 PM
2k1yzfr1 2k1yzfr1 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Waco Texas
Posts: 536
In Mid-April does it bog down on the 100% healthy St Augustine yard that just had quick release fertilizer put on it April 1st after followed by 2 inches of ran the week after your fertilized? How well does the 15 do then? I'm sure on 80% of the yards the 15 is more than enough. It's the other 20% that I am would be thinking how an extra 4 hp right now would be nice.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-02-2006, 02:53 PM
jtkplc's Avatar
jtkplc jtkplc is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Jackson, Michigan
Posts: 2,648
I've never used a 34Z, but I do have a 36" Gravely hydro walk-behind and there are many times when I wish I had more than 15 HP, and I'm only side discharging. The 34Z is going to be heavier which would put more strain on the engine. I would go with the Exmark which already has the more power instead of messing around trying to swap engines. I don't think you can go wrong with either machine, however this is the first year of the 34" Exmark so there might be some bugs that need to be worked out, that would be my only hesitation from buying the Exmark.
__________________
No longer in the lawn care business.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-02-2006, 05:08 PM
lawnmaniac883's Avatar
lawnmaniac883 lawnmaniac883 is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: largo, FL
Posts: 2,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k1yzfr1
In Mid-April does it bog down on the 100% healthy St Augustine yard that just had quick release fertilizer put on it April 1st after followed by 2 inches of ran the week after your fertilized? How well does the 15 do then? I'm sure on 80% of the yards the 15 is more than enough. It's the other 20% that I am would be thinking how an extra 4 hp right now would be nice.

Gravely 44z is my mower right now, with the mulching kit and blades, I have NO problem going through 2 weeks of st.augustine growth in the spring after it has been fert. Only thing this mower doesnt like is brush hogging 4' tall grasses. But, it has been a wonderful mower so far.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-02-2006, 08:14 PM
Precision Precision is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Cocoa Florida
Posts: 3,021
I have the 19HP scag version of the 36" Z. I don't think I would want anything less than 17HP.

With 19 I can cut at full throttle on anything (except that bahia that doesn't have seed heads) at up to 6 inches being removed. If the grass is wet, then only 4 inches at full speed. On that bahia, it packs the deck like cement if the grass is wet, otherwise a great mower. I discharge not mulch.

with mulching I would demand 19HP.

the other thing, switching out engines will end your warranty. Right?
__________________
If you don't know your costs, you can't bid right. If you don't bid right, you can't make money, If you can't make money, become a Wal-mart greeter.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-02-2006, 08:35 PM
SouthernYankee's Avatar
SouthernYankee SouthernYankee is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k1yzfr1
In Mid-April does it bog down on the 100% healthy St Augustine yard that just had quick release fertilizer put on it April 1st after followed by 2 inches of ran the week after your fertilized? How well does the 15 do then? I'm sure on 80% of the yards the 15 is more than enough. It's the other 20% that I am would be thinking how an extra 4 hp right now would be nice.
All of my accounts have fert and all have irrigation. I talked to a lot of lcos here on lawnsite and dealers around Htown regarding how this mower would work in St.aug and everyone gave positive reviews. I have had zero clumping issues with a mulching set up and no problems with the engine bogging down even at full speed.

Mowingman is a dealer and will tell you more about this mower and its specifics.
__________________
---------------------------------------------------


Roll Tide Roll
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-02-2006, 09:09 PM
lawnman_scott lawnman_scott is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: st pete, FL
Posts: 7,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtkplc
I've never used a 34Z, but
....................


Ah, the classic comment about the 34z.

I never had a problem with the mower bogging down, even in summer in st augustine that is fert, watered, and rained on constantly. I would also say that the exmark I am sure will be a great mower, but after hearing about the 26in they came out with I may want to wait a year on that one. I also made the mistake of buying a first year great dane, a big mistake.

If you want I guess you could go with a bigger engine, but I think it would be overkill, and I always like to have more than less power. Just do yourself a favor, and take into consideration the opinions of those who not only have seen a picture of the mower we are talking about, but also own one.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-02-2006, 11:18 PM
2k1yzfr1 2k1yzfr1 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Waco Texas
Posts: 536
I just don't see how a 15hp on a ZTR mulching at "full speed" as ya'll quote doesn't bog. I have a 15 kohler on a 36 Exmark belt drive walk behind in 4th gear (probably 3-4 mph) on alot of my yards is begging for 2nd gear. My main Z is a 52 Toro with a 27 kohler which is WAY overkill and it won't drop 100 RPM's in thick spring growth. I am just am worried about being the guinea pig on the new phazer where the gravely 34 has been around a couple seasons.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-02-2006, 11:24 PM
jtkplc's Avatar
jtkplc jtkplc is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Jackson, Michigan
Posts: 2,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnman_scott
....................


Ah, the classic comment about the 34z.
I don't have to have used a 34Z to offer my opinion that 15 HP isn't enough for mulching...thanks...
__________________
No longer in the lawn care business.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:59 PM.

Page generated in 0.10636 seconds with 7 queries