Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-03-2006, 03:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcoburn
I guess I didn't fully understand and might not still understand the pond system you are retrofitting. Now my understanding is that you actually have two ponds, a bottom (presumably larger)pond that is connected to the top pond by a moving waterfall. I guess my question would be: where is your pump? I would expect the pump is in the bottom pond feeding the upper pond. The aquascape system as well as some others I have encountered utilizes a skimmer vault that houses the pump on the margin of the bottom/lower pond. The skimmer vault handles most of the details... it controls the water level, it houses an auto refill valve if you use one, it houses the pump, it also has a net or basket that collects the biggest debris and takes it out of the system so it doesn't accumulate on the pond bottom and rot, it will sometimes have some filter brushes or media sheets to pre-filter and to some extent probably hold a colony of bacteria, it also is where you place the ponds overflow. Does your skimmer work like this or is it just drawing water through a remote pump (like a pool system). The aquascape system also in theory is used with the biofalls, in your case they are saying you could use the microfalls and just set it flush or slightly above flush with the upper ponds overflow (the beginning of the waterfall so it basically goes unnoticed. In the Microfalls is where there is a combination of filter mats and bags of filter "media" are and the water being pumped from below is forced to travel through. This is where the real bacteria colonies reside and "Filter".

I think normally you don't necessarily have the upper "pond" and this is where your system is different. Where was the filter on the old pond and how did it work? sounds like the pond you are adding is the upper pond, and maybe the question should be asked, does there need to be an upper pond? are your clients specifically asking for that?
You don't normally see the small upper pond because people are uncreative. There doesn't need to be an upper pond at all. It is used to make it look more natural. IMO the biofalls look cheasy.

Not that milkcrates don't!
“Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victor nor defeat.”

-Theodore Roosevelt
Old 02-03-2006, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsogr
Why did you buy a dakota? You should have bought a dodge ram with a hemi and 22" rims. It always amazes me how people base the product on price, you should be thinking about the value. I mean you could be sitting in leather seats with more power than you could ever handle. You could be driving in your own oasis everyday!!
HAHAHA well forget the dodge ram and all the rims. If I had extra money I would have bought the Dodge Mega Cab!!! That truck is a king kong, lol. I heard there coming out with a dually mega cab, not thats what im sayin.
My truck aint no lil dakota it can pull an enclosed trailer
Attached Images

Old 02-03-2006, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ya know I am just giving ya crap. Nice Dakota. I used to own a 2001 dakota. It was a good truck. By dad used to own a 2000 quad cab. I was amazed by how much cab room it had. I am 6'3 and was comfotable in the back seat in an 8 hour drive.
“Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victor nor defeat.”

-Theodore Roosevelt
Old 02-03-2006, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
True True fshinman, I believe that it is worth the price just for the fact that I am a Landscaper that needs someone else to come up with these components, I dont have the time. Aquascapes provides it and makes it easy to do, I can just focus on creating interesting things with thier components. Check out some of thier new large feature components--just modified Centipedes in that you can use it as a bog, wetland filter, wet well, retention pond filter, etc. you just keep adding sections to take care of huge parking lots or use the mini centipede for the back yard pondless waterfall. If you believe in the biological filter and you want to make money seems like anyone ought to take a look at the filters offered by aquascapes
Aquascapes has there head on straight, for sure with large scale projects!!!!!!!
Back in October we did a $30,000 job at a retention pond with 2 wet wells and a bog, we used three pumps and about 50 tons of gravel to cover the bottom of the pond to help keep it clear.. also we used an air station in the middle... It was the best project we did, everything went smoothly and finished it in a week.
Here are som pics!!!
Attached Images

Old 02-03-2006, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow that looks like a pretty large scale project. I wouldn't even think about doing a project that big!

-Theodore Roosevelt
Old 02-04-2006, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Did you do the wall system too? Looks like a pretty cool project.

Here are a couple of pics of a waterfall we did last spring along with a couple of patios and lots of big steps, plants, etc. Used three pumps to acheive flow we needed for the 25' elevation drop on the falls. The waterfall was about 100' long and we had to use two 3" pipes to supply it. we couldn't do any diging because it is all on ledge. cost about 110,000 in VT. A good deal I think since I would expect some of the other guys in the area would have easily doubled the price.
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2006, 01:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Did you do the wall system too? Looks like a pretty cool project.

Here are a couple of pics of a waterfall we did last spring along with a couple of patios and lots of big steps, plants, etc. Used three pumps to acheive flow we needed for the 25' elevation drop on the falls. The waterfall was about 100' long and we had to use two 3" pipes to supply it. we couldn't do any diging because it is all on ledge. cost about 110,000 in VT. A good deal I think since I would expect some of the other guys in the area would have easily doubled the price.
how much water do you loose to splashing
Old 02-04-2006, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Member

not much splash when the wind is average, I just tweaked them to stay where they needed to be, but because there is so much drop on so many sections there is a lot of evaporation. There were definately lots of challenges on this one. This system is near the borderline of when the falls are too big to be supplied by the lower pond volume wise because we were so confined for space in the lower pond with the shape of the ledge. The lower pond sits right in a natural depression in the ledge that runs about 18"-24" deep, 4-6' wide, and 50' long. My math isn't the best, but I figure its about 4000 gal, I'm going to put the meter on it after we clean it out again this spring to get a good reading.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow that is some nice stuff. That is some work you can be proud of!

-Theodore Roosevelt
Old 02-04-2006, 03:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Awesome work you've done. I like the second picture the best, its a good angle.
Did you make that bridge or buy a kit and put it together?

No, someone else installed the retaining wall around the retention pond.