Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-03-2006, 01:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

few people non paid from november

I have 2 clients that i am concerned on getting the money from, i have tried phone calls, knocking on the door, and i just dont know what to do anymore. What do i have to do to go to small claims court and what kind of stuff should i show. Do the people have the choice of paying you ounce the court contacts them or do they have to appear in court then.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:22 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

They can pay you at any time before court...you'll just have to drop the case if they do pay.

Of course, you could win a judgement, and some will still not pay
Old 02-03-2006, 01:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOLIE
They can pay you at any time before court...you'll just have to drop the case if they do pay.

Very true. Make sure to add in the court costs if they want to pay before you go in front of the magistrate.

kc
Old 02-03-2006, 01:31 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Actually I don't think you even need to drop the case, if the plaintiff doesn't show they just dismiss it. But it's a nice gesture
Old 02-03-2006, 01:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

yea that would work. They still cannot pay me after i win in court, Another thing what if i dont have a signed contract, will that make a huge difference?"
Old 02-03-2006, 01:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I still have a lady that refuses to pay me for three different weeks in October. I called her this week to give her a final warning. She says that she didn't pay me because I never showed up to aerate her lawn in November (the next month). I told her that we cancel all services when the customer is past due. Still she refuses. So, looks like I'll see her in court as well. Good luck.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:56 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Whether or not you have a contract, you want to bring proof that you did the work in question...do you have route sheets from the days you did work, or bill stubs from prior work that would establish a relationship with that customer. I won a case once with no contract like this.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, what Hoolie said. I just got paid from someone that owed me money since like September. If you plan on taking them to court just have your ducks lined up. Chances are one they receive the papers it will never go that far.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I still have 3 customers from Nov. that are yet to pay. It totals around $900. I have to say this routine gets old quick. I do not enjoy going to court but not to many other options. I guess it helps that I have 5 or 6 lawyers that are customers and one being the district attorney. They said if I ever need help just give them a call.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOLIE

That's an easy one to deal with. Once you win the court case it gives you some options to consider:
1) You can sell the bill to a collection agency and not have to deal with it any more. Of course they will only pay you a percentage of what is owed.
2) You can turn them over to the courts in which a prosecutor will issue a warrant for their arrest for contempt of court. Then file a request to garnish their wages and tax returns. Don't forget to report them to the credit agencies every month.
3) You can put a lein on their property. In this case the more time they take the better off you are. Not only will they have to pay you the amount awarded to you by the courts, but also interest.