Register free!

Old 04-12-2001, 03:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I recieved a letter a few days ago to the effect that if you are not a licenced applicator you cannot advertise that you offer chemical applications, even if you have a licenced subcontractor that handles this for you.

I have to admit the thought of a bunch of Lawn guys going out to their trailers with a bottle of white out kind of made me chuckle. I think in the long term though this policy is going to be disasterous. Many people belive that because you have the licence you know what you are doing. I can see people who would never before have thought of applying foliar pesticides, now offering this service to their customers. Not because they know what their doing, but simpley because they are now licenced and can charge a fee. This can only lead to disaster. When the temps go up to 90 degrees and hacks start applying dursban or acephate at a high rate plant material is going to start dieing. The result will be higher insurance, tougher testing and tighter regulation with increased field inspections.

I have been spraying for over 10 years, 6 of which were at a golf course. I have seen first hand the kind of damage that improper mixing and application can cause. I am not looking forward to the flood of licenced applicators this new policy is going to cause.
Old 04-12-2001, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would think that is what the state is wanting more licensed applicators. Through a training and certification system, they will eliminate wrong and harmful applications.
Old 04-12-2001, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I believe, what the state want's is the revenue generated by more CPA tests. As far as wrongful and harmful applications the only thing that can prevent them is experience under a qualified and experienced applicator. The problem is that people think that because they passed the minimum training and cert. exam, that they are now capable of accuratly diagnosing pest and disease problems. This usually is not the case. The people who have studied the requisite time with a CPA allready have their licence or are in the process of getting it. The contractors that sub out but want to be able to advertise will study a few paphlets and pass the test but will never put in the time, under a experienced CPA, to accuratly diagnose pest problems.
Jim L
Old 04-12-2001, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Boy, there is a post not too far from this one that is a perfect example of what is going to happen. You can figure out what I mean.
Old 04-13-2001, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yep the post to which I believe you are refering somewhat inspired this post. I am not, however, concerned with people getting thier apps. licence to put down some fert or advertise. I work in an area where there are quite a few formal gardens, some of which I installed and take a great deal of pride in. The people for whom I work do not understand that, if it is not done properly, spraying plants can kill them. If I am not available and they think there is a problem then they will call someone else. The odds on them getting someone who can do a good job on their garden just went down. It is simply too easy to make a mistake in this business if you are not properly trained.
Jim L
Old 04-13-2001, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I know that you are referring to my post! What i mean is that i would work for him for two years. I do not plan on just geting my certification and put down stuff that i do not know how to use. So thanks for all of your support in my persute to become a fertilizer applicator!!!!!
Old 04-13-2001, 11:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If that's the case, and if you actually read my post's then you would, if fact, realize that I was not referring to you.
Your situation is common to all unlicenced landscapers throughout the state, they all recived the same letters which you and I both recieved, your post simply put me in mind of it. If you plan to study under a CPA for 2 years and gain the experience that is necessary and prudent then I applaud your efforts and will be happy to help in any way I can. I believe that in my posts I made it very clear what I thought the problem was. If you do not fall into that catagory then they are DEFINATLY NOT ABOUT YOU. I don't put anything between the lines so don't try and read there.
Jim L

[Edited by greens1 on 04-13-2001 at 06:01 PM]
Old 04-16-2001, 01:03 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Over here we have to be licenced and insured to apply pesticides. I have both, the problem now is that I have a decent amount of money and time invested and now am thinking I have to increase the number of jobs I do to justify this expense. I would bet that a lot of other guys think the same way. I got my licence to do a few lawns that I cut, most only need spot spraying which I usually do. Last year I did a bunch of spraying only jobs to pay for the time spent. I think all this is leading to more chemicals being applied.
Old 04-17-2001, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Member

greens1, since you have the experience diagnosing and treating problems associated with pesticide applications why aren't you a certified applicator? I would assume that by reading your posts that you think the state is just trying to get more money. Let me assure you that being from New York I know what you are saying. If anybody should be complaining about the rules and regulations concerning pesticide applications, it should be the applicators in NY.
I do agree that just because somebody has a license doesn't make them knowledgeable on pesticides, but I would like to think that maybe they will think twice about using a pesticide after going through the certification process. This would be alot better than somebody applying a pesticide just because the home owner says they have weeds or grubs and they want them treated. A licensed applicator would have some experience with IPM and could discuss other options to dealing with the problem other than just putting down chemicals. We must first educate ourselves as professionals before we can educate the customer on the proper use of chemicals in their landscape. If we rely on the press to educate the public about pesticides you won't have to worry to long because they will push for every pesticide to be outlawed regardless off the consequences faced in the green industry or agriculture industry.
Old 04-17-2001, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hi Matt,

I am not certain where you got the impression that I wasn't certified. The letters went out to certified applicators and landscaping companies.

I am a Certified Applicator and have been for 10 years now.

I don't do jobs that do not include an IPM stratagy, I establish IPM guidlines with the customer beforehand and do scouting once a week. I work with the customer, whenever possible, to remove high maintinence plantings or move them to a location which will reduce the need for pesticide apps.

Jim L