Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-27-2000, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Member

I was just wondering what some of you out there shoot for in terms of dollars per hour, or if you even keep track of it. I myself average between $37 and $45 per hour working alone of with the wife, and only using an exmark metro with a sulky. This is including drive time and lunch ect. This would be after an average 8 to 10 hr day. Are my numbers high or low, how do yours compare. After reading some of these posts I think my numbers are low please let me know.
Old 07-27-2000, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ryan,<br>This is really an area sensitive topic that varise greatly between town to town and job to job. <br>For example I have 1 job that I average $40.00 hour on and another that I ave. $75.00 per hour but the higher priced one is a hell of alot of work up and down hills and lots of trimming. Its not that anyone doesn't want to answer you but per hour estimating will only depress you.<p>Figure out your cost of business (which is a book in itself) and then figure profit. Some of my lower paying mowing jobs keep me going with my add on services such as fertilizing, edging,spring and fall cleans ect. You have to figure for the whole picture not just an hour at a time. Good Luck.
Old 07-27-2000, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Ryan like mow ed said its atough subject talk to some of the lawn guys in your area.thats what I did but your on the right track.
Old 07-27-2000, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My lows are 35$ , highs 60$ and at the end of the week the average is 40$ . seem to be stuck there for the last 4 years and need to bring it up but prices are remaining low . I would like to av. 50$.
Old 07-27-2000, 11:07 PM
Banned

$26.00 to 50.00. You know what grandma said. &quot;You can give away more ice cream than you can sell for a dime.&quot;
Old 07-28-2000, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Member

I base my pricing on $40 per hr. I've also found if you hustle, $1.00 per min can be had on smaller properties such as garden homes.
Old 07-28-2000, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Are low is about $50.00 an hour. For lawns with 3 right next to each other its about $75.00 an hour. We really look good on paper when we cut and do bushes on the same lawn. It looks good on our rate an hour. If you cut house right next to each other it bring up your hourly rate. (no drive time)<br>Good Luck Travis AG&G Lawn Maintenance
Old 07-28-2000, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I mow alot of smaller residential propertys and work alone. I feel that a good average is $1/minute. But as everyone else has said that really depends on the property and relative location to other jobs.<br>
Old 07-28-2000, 02:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I've always seen the $1 a minute method being used, but of course you can get more for some of the smaller jobs, and by all means go for it!! One other thing I'd like to point out is that it seems like some of you guys have the idea that your profit and hourly rate are the same, as far as I know that shouldn't be the case. You should figure your hourly rate into the cost of the job with overhead, etc. and should also be figuring in your profit for the company. <p>The easiest way someone explained it best to me was that I was working for a company (my own, of course) and I would take home weekly pay no matter what. The company should also be making its own money (profit) so that I don't have to use my pay to invest in equipment, etc. Hopefully I didn't loose anyone here!!<p><p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://communities.msn.com/guidosequipmentpics/&quot;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti
Old 07-28-2000, 04:05 PM
bill phagan

There's lots of &quot;methods&quot; being used out there to determine pricing starting with SWAG, dartboards, flat out guesses, doing what the last guy was doing it for, coming in just a &quot;little&quot; lower than the last guy, etc. I can really appreciate &quot;target&quot; pricing......but only after I KNOW what the job will cost me. Or it WILL COST you. What is your cost per manhour, what are your equipment costs, what are your overhead costs?, etc. Too many companies out there charging $20-50 per hour and it's meaningless if it COSTS you $19 or $49.<p>Bill Phagan<br>bphagan@tampabay.rr.com<br>Green Industry Consulting, Inc.