Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-05-2006, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Exmark Lazer Z HP

Thinking of buying one of these. I am running Walkers and a Snapper walk behind. I am looking to mulch more to save a little time. Do these mowers do what is advertised on mulching or not? Will it even get close to a Walker bagging? Also, should buy the 19 h.p. Kawasaki or more h.p.?
Old 02-05-2006, 02:17 PM
LawnSite Member

I bought my Hp last year, 48" 19 HP Kaw. And so far so good. Normal cutting weekly or bi weekly it did very well. For its size, I think that the 19 HP is good enough for my purposes right now. Its a good size for me right now b/c I have properties that are only 1/3 acre, but fast enough to do some of my 2 acre properties.

Ron
Old 02-05-2006, 02:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

One of the mowers that I run is a 52 lazer hp with a 23 horse Kaw. it has the 2 bag ultra vac system on it. I have run it for over 3 seasons and has worked well for me. You can really get into tight spots with this mower that you can't with the full size 60 inch lazer. Also leaves a great finished cut. I would recommend getting more horse power than a 19 if you are going to be running the ultra vac bagger. Well those are those are the pros. The cons are it will clog faster than anything on wet grass. So forget about getting any work done on a dewy morning with it. Also for leaves I do get a bit of blowout in the front. Hope this helped some. Goodluck.
Old 02-05-2006, 02:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Plus the new hp has the new triton deck on it. I am looking to buy one next month with the 27hp koeler 56".

Jason
3- 36" walk behinds
16'X8' trailer
3 Stihl FS100 weedwackers,
2 echo PB-650 backpack blowers,
1 Little Wonder 11hp blower.
Lesco walk behind Aerator
Old 02-05-2006, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had a demo day and tried the tiger cub with the 19 and the lazer hp with the 23. The tiger cub was obcviously under powered. What I took home was: 19 will get the job done, 23 will get it done the way i like it.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The more power the better!!! You will notice a difference on wet lawns and thick lawns as well as when you do leaves! Good Luck!!!
Old 02-05-2006, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I use a 48" Lazer HP (2003) but it has a 23hp kawi on it. It replaced the OEM 21hp unit due to a problem. I had another hp 48" with a 20hp Kohler (probably pretty close to the 19hp kawi in torque). The 23hp does a great job mulching within the proper range of conditions (not super tall grass, no wet grass, the drier the better, and moderate mowing speeds). The 20hp was over 1,200 hours by the time I started mulching and it could have used a little more power, but for routine stuff it was fine.

A lot of it depends on what grass type you're mowing, what height you're cutting at (mulching cut isn't as "clean" at anything over about 3.25" due to air flow leaving stringers sometimes). Don't expect to get a clean one-pass cut mowing tall weeds either. I did mow one acre property that always grew tall within a week's time, and it was a mess. But two passes would do a decent enough job for a field. Thankfully turfgrass doesn't grow that fast, just the weeds.

The new HP Lazer is more powerful, has a deeper deck touted as working better, and comes in different deck sizes, but is heavier and probably more expensive than the previous generation.

If you are mulching, it's nice to have at least one mower set up to discharge/bag for those tall grass and wet day situations.