Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-05-2006, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

lawn rolling

no sure where i should post this but i'm looking for info on lawn rolling? i tried to search on here but it wouldn't let me. Any info on this subject would be great. thanks

-Andrew
Old 02-05-2006, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well #1 you should not roll lawns unless you have no choice because it compacts the soil hurting the roots by making it harder to get air and water to them. #2 if you do roll make sure to aerate after you do so to help the lawn recover from the torture you just put on it. #3 I do offer it but I never advertise it and its very profitable, I use a 900lbs roller pulled by a GT just make sure to tell your customers the problems it may cause and aerate after you do so.
Old 02-05-2006, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The only time I use a lawn roller is after a sod install.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

the reason i ask about this is because i have customers ask for this. I plan on rolling the lawn before i begin cutting this year. I can rent a roller from united rentals for a weekend and get a deal from fri-sunday for one day price. I figure if i charge $50 a roll there is some money to be made after the rental is paid off.

But basically you all are saying that lawn rolling is not good for the lawn and that i have to aerate after i do this. I don't plan on aerating so i'm stuck on what i should do with this idea.
Old 02-06-2006, 01:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

OK, you've got me scratching my head here. Why the heck would that guy want you to compact his soil and why did you tell him that you would consider it? Have both of you agreed that it's just a good idea to try to kill off his turf without using chemicals or something along that line? Or does he just want to point the finger at someone else for killing off the grass before the inevitable happens?

I can't wait to see the flyer you put together to advertise this service.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

i get this alot

old people want me to roll there, lawn, even though there is no damage, or reason for it..... seems they think its the right thing to do.....ever try and explain something to old people, they just wont listen...."ive been rolling my yard for 4 0 years,,,blah blah"........sir your soil is so compacted, that is one of the many reasons your yard looks bad "blah blah blah young people today".....
6 full time
Old 02-06-2006, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What kind of roller are you renting? As Gatewayuser posted, he uses a 900lb roller if customers really want it. You need to use a tractor to pull something like that. The rollers I've seen at rental places are the small push type, designed for use during new seed and sod installations. If you are just trying to smooth out mole tunnels, the small rollers really won't do much. Actually, if you use a smaller roller, you probably won't even have to aerate because of how little it would really do.

If you are trying to smooth out a generally bumpy lawn, you really need a BIG roller to do that, and then you have to aerate with a GOOD aerator afterwards. I don't think a simple rolling aerator would do much, you might need a reciprocating aerator.

$50.00 doesn't seem like a whole lot to charge. When you add in the rental fee, the time to pickup and then go back to drop off the aerator at the rental place, and the time to do the actual job, are you really making money? Of course, if you can line up multiple jobs, it could be worth it to you as you say.

BUT...if the customer REALLY wants it, and is willing to pay for what it costs, then go ahead and do it.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by work_it
OK, you've got me scratching my head here. Why the heck would that guy want you to compact his soil and why did you tell him that you would consider it? Have both of you agreed that it's just a good idea to try to kill off his turf without using chemicals or something along that line? Or does he just want to point the finger at someone else for killing off the grass before the inevitable happens?

I can't wait to see the flyer you put together to advertise this service.
First off i haven't told anyone that i would perform the service, i was just thinking of another way to make some money off the customers i have. I have had people in the past that have asked for it but i haven't done it because i need more jobs to make it worth my while. Don't knock on others for wanting to provide more services!

TVOV: the roller a wacker rd11, specs and pictures below

RD11A Compaction Roller Complete Specifications
Centrifical Force (lbs) 3000
Engine Honda
Frequency (VPM) 4000

Starting Method Electric
Horsepower (HP) 18
Drum Width (in) 35.5

Travel Speed (MPH) 2.2
Weight 2586 lb
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2006, 12:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I reallllllllyyyy hope your kidding please tell me you are!
Old 02-06-2006, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think I would use a machine like that on a lawn. That's for paving jobs.