Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-07-2006, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My apology. My post was in poor taste. Just my observation over the past 2-3 years. Really it is just a lack of knowledge in general about the different culture.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Member

negotiation of price

Many contractors take it for granted that a client will throw their money at him just because he observes a very lavish life style. Some contractors notice the makes and quantities of cars, home furnishings, pool and landscaping,etc to use as partial consideration of the sales price. I'm not saying this is wrong but the wealthier clients are usually sharp, educated or business people. I have found that if you are well prepared and present your material with confidence the client will gain trust in you. Further, I have found many prospective customers will buy from the salesman that they like the best. Smile be relaxed and don't try to double talk them. Given these factors many people will then buy what you offer. In the event price is negotiated, I don't mind if the customer is reasonable. Some people just assume you are making a huge profit and there is just so much fat in the price that you would not miss a 30% reduction. They might need to be educated either by you showing them where the value is (as others posted) or by just letting them get other prices. If you did a great sales job they will come back to you even if they get a slightly lower price. Why?, because they liked you the best ! Don't forget to follow up on the estimates that were given. Further, with lighting most clients will comeback for more once you start with a small install. (Foot in door)
I liked Steve's comments and I agree whole heartedly.
WEB: www.frog-lights.com
EMAIL: frog_lights@yahoo.com
Old 02-10-2006, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i personally like the a**hole tax if i show and talk to a customer and can tell they are going to be diffacult to deal with and i design something for them say a landscape and light install and the est. is 4000-5000 dollars i just add 500 to it, and if i get through the project and all goes well and they are reasonable with there requests i just tell them we came in under budjet and take it off. that will make you the man of the hour and you will get more jobs out of it. and if they are a**holes you were paid for there attiude
agri metal strawblower
more power and hand tools than i haul
Old 02-11-2006, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RI Ohio
My apology. My post was in poor taste. Just my observation over the past 2-3 years. Really it is just a lack of knowledge in general about the different culture.
i did not see where your post was said in a derogatory manner.

Thier culture does haggle. Our culture does not. Nothing wrong with that statement. It is accurate. and if said without mallice then there is nothing wrong with it.
bobcat T200
way too much other crap
Old 02-11-2006, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Member

It's not very business like to talk in those terms- "our culture. their culture" etc. -Perhaps it's time you picked up a selling 101 book.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:13 PM
Sponsor

Respect

It all comes down to respect and maintaining humility. When you have a service business, you are a servant and must treat your clients with real respect. If you come in with any other attitude, then you will receive neither their respect nor their business.
Old 02-12-2006, 02:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Bottom line is that there is a very low probability that you will sell a quality lighting system to a home depot do-it-yourself kit type mentality. Either you're marketing to the wrong demographic or not doing a very good job of qualifying before you go out to meet with them. It's much easier to sell to someone who is pre-disposed to buy quality then to educate someone on the virtues of a professionally installed system over a store bought kit. I'd prefer to do the former rather than the latter.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by landscapelight
Bottom line is that there is a very low probability that you will sell a quality lighting system to a home depot do-it-yourself kit type mentality. Either you're marketing to the wrong demographic or not doing a very good job of qualifying before you go out to meet with them. It's much easier to sell to someone who is pre-disposed to buy quality then to educate someone on the virtues of a professionally installed system over a store bought kit. I'd prefer to do the former rather than the latter.

I think people in the 400K -600K should be in the market. Most around here in 300k homes have lighting. I don't believe that if someone lives in a 1 + million dollar home means you will seal the deal for a lighting job. I have plenty of customers with homes in that range who prefer to do their own lighting and landscaping. Most of them live in nice homes because they watch every dollar they spend.

I never left the office for this call. With HD and Lowes advertising cheap lighting packages everywhere we will have to do some creative marketing to get people to pay 2000.00 as opposed to $25.00.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Member

The value of one's home isn't always an indicator of whether or not someone will spring for the cost of a high quality professionally designed and installed lighting system. There are people who own million dollar plus homes who do everything themselves or hire off price unlicensed contractors or day laborers to do the work and it always shows. Those will not be your clients. You've got a better chance selling to someone who appreciates quality and is willing to pay a fair price for the services of a professional. That person could own a $300K valued house or a 5 million dollar house. It's not always the demographics but the psychographic profile which is more important.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You're correct landscapelight. In my area all you'll find are subdivisions with advertisments at the entry stating the price range of the homes included. Of course it's makes more sense to me to target the ones showing homes from the 500's and up.

You would think these people usually spend more than the those who live in the lower priced neighborhoods.

I don't think it's possible to target a "group" of homeowners who are only looking to spend their money on the highest quality. Therefore in all demographics you will run into your do it yourself people.