Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-08-2006, 01:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Is it always something, or is it just me?

I don't know. I try to always think positive. But sometimes it seems if it wasn't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all. I catch myself stopping to look up just to make sure I don't have my own personal cloud hanging over my head. Yet at the same time, I think that with this business, it really is always something... some crap to deal with, something to repair, something to buy, ect. And it's always at the worst possible time.

I just recently made a decision and went ahead with settling in on some long term commitments in this business and laying groundwork for some other opportunities. Then sure enough, today, well yesterday now, I end up having a non-green industry related conference and trip face-first into an extremely lucrative opportunity. One that I know if I invested 40 hours a week, 50 weeks a year of no over the top effort, I know I alone could clear 200K a year profit.

So here I sit, very early in my consideration of if I will get involved or not and if so, to what degree at this point, or if I even consider it at all. It's a great opportunity, but as luck would have it, it's a bit of a late arrival.

I didn't flat turn it down, but at the same time I was not considering it heavily. A good deal more of a no than a yes. But I did begin to wonder if that would still be the case had this opportunity came along sooner.

So I quit even thinking about it the rest of the day. Sure enough though, I'm out with the truck late in the afternoon, and "it's always something" strikes again....

I come to a stop and slide it in neutral as I often do. Then as I go to shift to first gear in anticipation of taking off, the truck won't go in gear. No way period. So I'm thinking what in the....... So I shut it off right quick because I hear a strange noise. After I shut it off, it goes right in gear like nothing is wrong. So I go to fire it back up. It turns over but won't hit. I keep trying and trying before I start to collect traffic behind me. Nothing. I try again and it almost hits, but doesn't because it starts to pull itself forward with the clutch in. So I stop. Puzzled I try again. All I get now is a click.

After ranting around a few minutes I finally get it running again and in gear. But during initial takeoff it sounds like the insides of the trans are going to fall out on the ground. Luckily, I am not far from home, so I make a go of it. What a pisser every time I feared I would have to stop again. Luckily only twice.

I get it home, so I go to slide underneath from the front. I want to have a look-see at the motor mounts and trans mounts. First thing I'm met with one small drop of coolant. It's a single drip from the weep hole on the bottom of the water pump.

I just go up and walked away....

Boy, the transmission issue sure worries me. I really want to hope it's in the clutch since I don't seem to have any 'in travel' noise. But I have sure never had one go this way before. Not even a hint anything was wrong.

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 02-08-2006, 01:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like you burned up your clutch.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshovel
Sounds like you burned up your clutch.
Yup, sure does.
My problems are fixed, so long they don't come at me all at once lol
Old 02-08-2006, 07:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Good luck in what you decide Envy. Losing your threads and comments here would be missed, but you gotta do what you gotta do. I am kind of in the same boat. I am up for a promotion at my full time job that would take away alot of mowing time. The pay would be substantial. The wife of course is all for it. I would rather have no stress and mow all day. Anyway I know you'll make the right decision.

Exmark 52" Lazer HP 23hp w/ultravac
Exmark 52" Lazer HP 23hp
Quick 36
Honda 21" push
Toro 21" push
2005 Ford F-150
6.5x16 trailer
Echo SRM260
Echo PAS 260
Echo Back Pack Blower
Echo Handheld Blower
Accelerator Bagger
Old 02-08-2006, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Your clutch problem sounds like one I had. Only mine came on slowly. It was the clutch master cylinder. Got to so the clutch wouldn't disengage at all. I would to of the fluid in it and it would work for a while. but at first the leak was slow enough that we couldn't find it. Finally got bad enough to find the leak. Wasn't cheap to fix either.

about the opportunities. I would suggest that you think about what you really enjoy doing. If your getting burned out in this business and the new opportunity is something that will make you happy, then that's the answer, but if the lawnwork is still doing it for you and the only thing about the other is the money, that might not be the best reason to change.
Just my thoughts.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah Paul,

I just came in from looking it over. Haven't even found somebody who can take a look at it yet. I looked at the clutch master cylinder. Funny thing, it looked full from the outside, but being curious I decided to have an inside look. I isn't full.

This trans is the type that has the internal slave cylinder right on the input shaft. So the whole trans will have to be dropped. The more I think about it, the more I think it is the slave cylinder due to the way it behaved. However, I am really concerned about the take-off noise. So I hope nothing came apart in there causing further damage. Mostly I worry about the input shaft and flywheel.

Yeah, even if it is just a clutch system problem only, this is not going to be a cheap fix. All the clutch parts and the slave cylinder will be several hundred dollars alone. Plus since the trans will have to be dropped, this is not a job I will tackle even though it is winter time. So that's going to COST too. Ah... I don't like wrenching on trucks anyways.

The bad thing is, I've found a few mileage type driveline leaks while under there. Developments since mowing season. So I really need to have the whole dang shooting match overhauled while I'm at it I guess. There is some sort of leak at the trans. Plus I have a rear end leaks... the rear cover is leaking, which is not a big deal to fix, but the input side is also leaking, which means the whole rear end has to come apart.

However, the thing that bugs me most is that I was hoping for maybe one or two more seasons before anything like this. The idea was to take it out of service before things like this cropped up so a new truck could take over it's job. Yeah, I understand that most guys don't give this too much thought and most would have probably just went and bought a new truck over this winter. But me, I'm different because I don't finance these purchases. I go buy what I need and keep it as long as I project it's trouble free life to be. By doing that, I'm usually in the position to repeat the cycle when the time comes.

But right now my wife is wanting another new car and I've had the intentions of doing that first. So I won't be ready just yet to go buy another new truck outright. So planning a pretty good overhaul might be the sensible thing to do. I just don't like it is all.

Now, it's not that I think anything is wrong with overhauling a business truck. In fact I think it is a pretty smart and cost effective thing to do, so long as you go about it the right way so that it's not some little something needing attention every time you turn around. So it's not that at all. I just wanted to upgrade this truck is all. So to me, it's not the ideal truck to overhaul for it's purpose, ya know?

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 02-08-2006, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Envy What the hecks the matter with you! Buck it up baby boy!
Whimping out already?
I guess you need to pay more attention to the fluids in your vehicles don't you.
Cut it out and get your chin up in the air where it belongs set your eyes streight ahead and do what you need to do.
Do you understand the Sheshovel?......And am I making myself perfectly clear?
There are many here that have run through trouble far greater than what you have been facing..So get with the program!
Old 02-08-2006, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

lost mine too

two days after i quit smoking last year, my clutch goes out...... nothing to it, drop the driveshafts, the crossmember, get a transmission jack, replace the clutch slavecylinder asembily, and your back in business.....

good luck it never fails......
6 full time
Old 02-08-2006, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's called LIFE - get a grip already!
Old 02-08-2006, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ya know Envy I was thinking..way back in the days old people were very afraid of envious people.The acually wore amuletes to protect them from people being envious of them.Because it was believed that if someone was envious of you then you would have bad luck fall upon you and you would loose everything you had for someone to be envious of.
Maybe a name change is in order here?