Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-08-2006, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

looking back?

i would never look back i love working for me instead of making some one else a fortune. 12 years later and a six digit salary its going well!! good luck dream big an work hard ,, see ya george
Old 02-08-2006, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Member

I mowed lawns through high school and went to college. Several majors later, I'm studying Watershed Science (primarily water/soil/plant interactions). What i'm trying to say is find something you like at school. I've come full circle and just started my own lawn care company. who knew?
Old 02-08-2006, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpocket
It hard to say, since you don't already have a "business" persay, I would advise you to go to college if you don't have any skills that culd earn you a good living.
Some might say that running a business for a few years teaches you skills that you could never learn in college. My philosophy on higher education is you should acquire the education you need to pursue your life's dream vocation. If your dream is to run the best damn lawn care/landscaping business in the country, then a 4-year degree is probably not necessary. Taking a few business classes and reading every book you can get your hands on, plus the school of hard knocks, will do you much better.

And yes, I have a college degree.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

yes Your Dream Is A Good One!
Old 02-09-2006, 12:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Yeah I'm going to college no matter what. I've been brought up with a great education so far and I wouldn't "waste" what my parents sacrificed for me. At this point I do think that nothing would make me happier than working my butt off and running a successful lawn business but it's very possible that my views may change. One thing I do know is that I will never make it in an office all day.

Thanks for sharing your wisdom and I hope to see more.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Go to college!!! Learn how to learn because you will have to be flexible and nimble for a career. Thinking you will start a lawn care company in early 20s and make a 45 year career from lawn care is a very short-sighted perspective. Current studies show that young workers will have at least four careers during their work life, some studies show seven. In other words, you have to be willing and able to make many changes. Learning how to learn will enable you to make those changes. Following a mower, or sitting on one, will not give you abilities and opportunities to adapt to new situations. That is not to say you won't learn some business skills through the "hard knocks" approach. And, don't use exceptions (e.g. Bill Gates) to develop an argument for or against.

This topic was discussed in another thread very recently. I can't find it now, but do some searching and read the posts there. I'm nearly 65 and worked as in professional office setting for more than 30 years. I had many people working for me, so employed many new hirees, some with two year technical degrees, others with advanced degrees. Clearly, the well-educated folks were the ones who did better for themselves, both financially and personally.

The previous post that money = happiness is wrong. Some of the most miserable people are those with much money, and those with little money are the happiest. Few people are able to handle large money.

Last edited by Roger; 02-09-2006 at 09:25 AM.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Member

I went to college and work full time as a construction builder, part time lawn guy, there is something to being your own boss, and if you market correctly you could earn a better living than most
Old 02-09-2006, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Go to college, take some generals, if nothing catches your interest and you still like doing the lawn work, major in business and take landscape classes, graduate, then you will be ready to go. With a 4 year degree backing you up. And you will run it like a business, not a hobby and possibly make less money than you should.

If everything fails, your business goes bankrupt or you hurt yourself permanantly, you've got a degree that applies to a lot of disciplines.

It's a lot easier to go to college at an early age than at a later age with wife, kids, house payment, etc.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:11 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger
The previous post that money = happiness is wrong. Some of the most miserable people are those with much money, and those with little money are the happiest. Few people are able to handle large money.
Roger- the was meant to give off a little humor with the comment.
In actuality money has very little to do with happiness mainly for the reason that no one can answer the question, What Is Money. Or even, as you state, Large Money.
First off- everybody on this site has money. True??
And everybody on this site would be unhappy with "NO" money. True?? ( I don't mean $500 or less-- I mean zero)
You need money to live.
Now the question is --At what point on the money meter will make you comfortable-- or happy if you will.
Money is just our way of equalizing trade. Be it work or time or service or education. All these things need to be traded. And money gives us a standard to do it. So in reality building up a surplus of money is no worse than building up a surplus of education.

And back to large money. What is that? Some people can deal with bringing in $200.000.00 a year in income. Some $2.000.000.00. And some can not deal with a $200.00 paycheck with out blowing it. The perception of large money will be different for each of us. As will be the idea of higher education.

As for my own very highly scientific study of money and happiness--- I am much happier with money in the check book than without
Old 02-10-2006, 01:22 AM
LawnSite Member

In my opinion (not much of one with only 17 years of life under my belt) being well off will make me happy. I could surely be happy with enough to get by but all the stuff I enjoy requires the mulah (vehicles mainly). Also, being brought up in a wealthy lifestyle it will probably take more to make me content.