Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
View Poll Results: Which Advertising option are you going to try this upcoming season?
Yellow Pages 58 34.32%
Direct Mail 94 55.62%
Telemarketing 4 2.37%
TV / Radio 13 7.69%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-08-2006, 04:49 PM

Question Advertising

What new advertising possibilities are you looking into this winter for the upcoming season to promote and grow your business?
Old 02-08-2006, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wow, guess I'm the first one. Trying a small add in the yellow book, but mostly do doorhangers in neighborhoods that I am established in.
Old 02-08-2006, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm in the yellow book and yellow pages. I guess it's not really a trial since Iv'e been in both before. The only reason I haven't ventured towards other methods is cost. I was thinking seriously about doing direct mail but it looks like it would be about $1,000 minimum and that's out of my budget, plus I'm not hearing a lot of good feedback about direct mail either...

Telemarketing is going by the way of the Dodo with the do not call lists out there and just the fact that 99% of the population will brand you as scum if you cold call them trying to sell them anything.
Old 02-08-2006, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Rose
I'm in the yellow book and yellow pages. I guess it's not really a trial since Iv'e been in both before. The only reason I haven't ventured towards other methods is cost. I was thinking seriously about doing direct mail but it looks like it would be about $1,000 minimum and that's out of my budget, plus I'm not hearing a lot of good feedback about direct mail either...

Telemarketing is going by the way of the Dodo with the do not call lists out there and just the fact that 99% of the population will brand you as scum if you cold call them trying to sell them anything.

Direct Mail depends on the effectiveness of the presentation...we consistently experienced a 15% success rate when using direct mail...

And telemarketing gets a bad rap as a whole.... a local service provider striking up conversation and offering a free estimate is a lot different than a foreigner speaking broken english trying to convince you the US government wants to give you a $12,000 tax refund if you provide them with your checking account number....
Old 02-08-2006, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

In the yellow pages and yellow book (wont be going back with the yellow book since no one uses it hardly) for the first time this year. Also putting out 16,000 flyers in a local paper. In a local church bulletin that goes to 300+ people weekly. Putting an add in the local free newspaper that goes out to homeowners. I personally will be putting out doorhangers and magnets in my spare time, I expect to put out 4000 roughly of them throughout the spring.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Member

sean
glad you brought this subject up. i met with a salesman from yellow book today. prices seem fair and he is willing to help me out with a few extras. just wondering what results others are getting from yellow pages?
terry
Old 02-08-2006, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm going to do AM radio, a station here does a daily show called Value Line. The way it works is this. The radio station writes the spot. A business authorizes the station to sell a set amount of coupons in their name, at a discount price. For example, a $10 coupon for $6. When coupons are sold, the station keeps that money to cover the cost of the show. When the customer redeems the coupon thats where the business pays for the advertising. Being a start-up company, I will at least get my name out there even if nobody decides to buy my coupons. I authorized them to sell $400 worth of coupons because thats what one week of advertising costs on the station. My business will be on Value Line from March to August. If the coupons sell quickly I can authorize them to sell more. The show host does an excellent job reading the spots. This station is the one locally that carries todays top shows, such as Limbaugh and Hannity. The Value Line show is between the local morning show and Limbaugh. I'm going to hang 5000 door hangers when the radio ad starts.
Blizzard 860HD
7 1/2 ft Western Plow
Toro 7/24 snowblower
2 Toro CCR 2450 snowblowers
48" Allis Chalmers
48" Ferris WB
36" Exmark Viking
21" Toro
21" Poulan Pro
2- Echo PB755H
Echo & Ryobi trimmers
Echo PAS 265 & attachments
Stihl & Poulan chain saws
Stihl BP blower
Stihl FS-56RC-E Trimmer
Billy Goat 16hp HTR Loader
Pesticide License BU0426
A Positive Outlook
Old 02-09-2006, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Sean, we dropped our YP ads for this year. Not enough qualified leads, more like a compulsory event for being in business, you know? We did direct mail last year, and had great results, so we are going that route again. Nothing like being able to target your clients(20K at a time) like you can w/ direct mail. We are also doing some radio spots in March, April, and May. We will be sponsoring a "Working Women's Wednesday" at a local hotel. They have a live radio remote(most listened to station in NC WV) for ladie's night each Wed., and all you have to commit to is $ 60.00 min. each week in prizes or services. In return, we will get approx. $ 500.00 in advertising each month. This will be our sixth season, and we are getting branded very well.People notice our trucks and yard signs all over the area, so I felt this year was more about reinforcing the brand recognition than "advertising" to gain more clients.Here's to a great season, and a repeat season for the Steelers in '06-/07
Old 02-09-2006, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Advertizing 2006

This year we are trying a couple of different methods.
Verizon Superpages (Free)
Place mats at Four Local Resturants
Join Chamber of Commerce.
Booth at Spring Festival.
Post cards to "Cherry picked" lawns in our area.
Bought a company profile in loacal paper.

We have been the yellow page/yellow book route (Dropped it 2 years ago)
Newspaper and flyers were ineffective.

Good results with Free application for refferral from current customer.

You just have to keep your name out there.
mount airy, md 21771-0630
Old 02-09-2006, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by impactlandscaping
Sean, we dropped our YP ads for this year. Not enough qualified leads, more like a compulsory event for being in business, you know? We did direct mail last year, and had great results, so we are going that route again. Nothing like being able to target your clients(20K at a time) like you can w/ direct mail. We are also doing some radio spots in March, April, and May. We will be sponsoring a "Working Women's Wednesday" at a local hotel. They have a live radio remote(most listened to station in NC WV) for ladie's night each Wed., and all you have to commit to is $ 60.00 min. each week in prizes or services. In return, we will get approx. $ 500.00 in advertising each month. This will be our sixth season, and we are getting branded very well.People notice our trucks and yard signs all over the area, so I felt this year was more about reinforcing the brand recognition than "advertising" to gain more clients.Here's to a great season, and a repeat season for the Steelers in '06-/07
Ladies Night....very cool

I definitely like the idea of radio when it comes to branding a name.... best of luck with that!