Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-11-2006, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Installation Pricing

New to installing low voltage lighting how do you guys normally price for installation by the light or per hour let me know and if you can give some rough ideas on pricing it would be appreciated Thanks,adam
Old 02-11-2006, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Adam
Good question. I would like to hear info on this also since I'm in the same boat as you. I imagine there are many variables because of location and price range of homes as well as the quality of equipment proposed. Anyone willing to share any of the basics? Thanks!
Old 02-11-2006, 05:22 PM
Sponsor

Pricing

We teach at our seminars to base your estimate on a minumum price per fixture of about $200. This includes transformers, wire and labor. If tree lights or other labor intensive tasks are involved, the price adjusts accordingly. Of course, you don't tell the client that you are using a per fixture estimate, you just give the calculated total.

This $200 per fixture is based on using only the highest quality products (such as the CAST solid bronze line). The number does vary somewhat according to region with the midwest sometimes forced a bit below $200. But in some high income regions, contractors are getting as high as $350 per fixture.

If the job is very small (less than 15 fixtures), then you want to set a minimum price of $3,000 to $4,000.

Even if you're just starting out, you don't want to go below these minimums. It's better to say no to a job than to lose money on a job (and piss off your competitors). Low bidders in lighting typically fail in the long run. While quality conscious installers who set high prices end up with better and more clients.

Just don't forget, you are not a fixture salesman. You are a lighting designer, an artist commisioned to create an oustanding and compelling lighting design.

As you become better at talking about the design with your prospective clients and when you create beautiful proposals complete with the design goals and strategies, then you will be sought after by the best customers and be able to command the highest prices.
Old 02-11-2006, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Steve!
I am attending one of your seminars this coming week. I appreciate all the information you have shared in this forum! Thanks!
Old 02-12-2006, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Steve that was very helpful i appreciate the response and help adam
Old 02-12-2006, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Less than 15 fixtures $3000.00 to $4000.00?
GIMMIE A BREAK!Labor alone?Oh you mead materials and labor?Shoot no wonder homeowners want to install their own Home Depot lighting!
Old 02-12-2006, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Member

sheshovel, There are those who can sell it and there are those that can't. Those that can will do very well and live a nice lifestyle. Those that can't will struggle just get by or fold like so many others. Worst mistake a contractor can make is pre-deciding for a customer what they will or will not pay for something. If everyone was looking for the cheapest price you'd only see Kia's on the road and no Mercedes'. If you had some sense (and instead of mocking him) you'd realize that the price points Steve promotes are not only good for you as a contractor but good for the industry as a whole. I guess you can give a guy a fish and feed him for a day or you can teach him how to fish and feed him for life. Too bad some guys just don't want to learn how to fish. I guess that's why there are so many of the Generic knock-off fixtures available that were discussed in another post. Damn shame.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

What experience to any of you have with focus products, any input is appreciated.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If you are a professional, you should be paid as a professional. If you are just learning this business, you might want to hold back a little. I charge $85 hr for my time but I have been doing this for quite some time and have a lot invested in my career. There is no way that I would feel comfortable charging this if I were new to the business.

Of course material mark-up is another thing. You should be making about a 40% margin on parts.

Paul R Gosselin, Sr., CLVLT(#0632)
NightScenes Corporation
President, AOLP
www.night-scenes.com
www.facebook.com/NightScenes
Old 02-14-2006, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

well i charge around 100 to 125 per fixture and a dollar a watt for the transformer. use the vista products from john deer. now that is the price for bacis installs where i can mount the transformer close to the landscape and NO TUNNELING there are things that i add for but i have taken the classes on installing and design and feel i do a very quality design and install. i am not a pro yet, just not enough installs under my belt but getting there
agri metal strawblower
more power and hand tools than i haul