Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-13-2006, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Warrenty Question

Just curious on what kind of warrenty's you guys offer your customers and did most of you get those warrenty contracts written up by lawyers?

Thanks in advance,

Travis
Old 02-13-2006, 02:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am sure that warranties vary from company to company. I would assume that you would start at a year on defective products and go up from there depending on the quality of the system you are selling. I always put a little spot in the contract about the bulbs. You should not need a lawyer to write a contract or warranty paper. Just do a little research and make your own. Look at the contract from two different angles, one being the property owner: what would you expect from a company regarding warranty and the second from your point of the contractor: given the quality of the product you are selling what is fair coverage regarding warranty. I usaully include parts and labor for defective products for the first year. After that I usually do defective parts only for as long as the manufacturer covers the product up to 2-3 years. But after the first year the property owner pays for the labor and if the part is not warranteed by the supplier then they pay for that to. I am sure that you are going to get reponses accross the board on your question. Just do what you feel comfortable with.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:53 AM
Sponsor

on warranties

Good points. Some contractors have two warranty plans. The first being similar to what RI Ohio suggests, the second being a simpler lifetime warranty. The lifetime warranty only applies if the homeowner agrees to an ongoing maintenance plan.

Of course, a lifetime warranty built into a maintenance plan only makes sense if you are using high quality components that are easily serviced in the field.