Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-13-2006, 03:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Which is best??

Our local Southern States Farm Supply has the following:

A mix of 1/3 corn gluten, 1/3 soy bean meal, 1/3 wheat meal in pellet form. $4.95 per 50lb bag.

100% soy bean meal @ $8.95 per 50 lb bad.

Or corn gluten meal @ $95 per ton. The only catch is I have to buy it by the semi-truck load. Plus delivery.

Which one would be the best for an early spring application?

Thanks for your input!
Old 02-22-2006, 02:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

just alittle advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by over40
Our local Southern States Farm Supply has the following:

A mix of 1/3 corn gluten, 1/3 soy bean meal, 1/3 wheat meal in pellet form. $4.95 per 50lb bag.

100% soy bean meal @ $8.95 per 50 lb bad.

Or corn gluten meal @ $95 per ton. The only catch is I have to buy it by the semi-truck load. Plus delivery.

Which one would be the best for an early spring application?

Thanks for your input!
while all these all natural mixs seem very cost effective the problem lies in the fact that they arent yet composted?........these are all meant as feed for animals..........you just may end up robbing the soil of avalible "Nitrogen", as these are breaking down themselves.................
Old 02-22-2006, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocutting
while all these all natural mixs seem very cost effective the problem lies in the fact that they arent yet composted?........these are all meant as feed for animals..........you just may end up robbing the soil of avalible "Nitrogen", as these are breaking down themselves.................

I believe you do not understand what happens when converting protein to N.
Those sources will be fine as a N source compost or no compost.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

"Are you the guy who calls the paper when you see a TYPO?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishboy
I believe you do not understand what happens when converting protein to N.
Those sources will be fine as a N source compost or no compost.
Dishboy is there a reason, you opted to skip the 1st guy post [ wanting help] and just zoned in on me?....Fortunatlly, most of my answers are tried and true [ meaning I've tried them myself personally, and at least have 1st hand knowledge].......I'm sure we can debate this on and on?......think there are many varyible factors, pellet size, irragation or lack of, ect...........So Dishboy whats Your answer for the Original Gentalmans Question?
Old 03-03-2006, 06:58 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

My personal preference , If I was to choose between the two untested products, use the blend of CGM, soy, and wheat. All three products will have to be converted by the soil microbs into mineralized forms before the plant can use them. My reason for chooseing the blend over the pure CGM has more to do with other nutrients than just nitrogen. The Soy and wheat will contain some Calcium and Boron which is essential for nitrogen uptake into the crop. The CGM might contain these also, but CGM is a processed feed where the oils and a lot of nutrients are leached out of the corn and the leftovers is the CGM, which happens to be a high organic nitrogen source. The soy and wheat meal are simply ground up soy and wheat so they will contain more of their original nutrient content. I am sure all three materials do contain other nutrients other than just nitrogen, but I have yet to find a source of information that tells which nutrients and in what percentages. Usually, info sources just list NPK content of certain plants and not other useful info about sulfur, calcium, boron, magnesium or other micronutrients.

Calcium and boron are needed to help plant uptake and utilization of nitrogen. Calcium deficiencies can lead to boron toxicity. Boron is also needed to boost disease resistance. To much potassium can lock up Boron. Sulfur is taken up into the plant at the same rate as Phos. Sulfur leaches easily from the soil while P tends to stay in the soil. Humis is a storehouse for Sulfur, but if the soil the crops or compost used to make humis are grown, is deficient in nutrients, the crops and compost will be deficient also. Just because you are using composted plant and manures for fertilization of your lawns, doesnt mean you are applying the proper nutrients in the proper amounts or even getting the proper nutrients. This is one reason why you want to buy your organics from a reputable source and with labeling listing nutrient content. Other wise you really need to have your compost or other organic materials tested to insure you are really getting the benefit that you are paying for.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thumbs up "Thank You Muddstopper"

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddstopper
My personal preference , If I was to choose between the two untested products, use the blend of CGM, soy, and wheat. All three products will have to be converted by the soil microbs into mineralized forms before the plant can use them. My reason for chooseing the blend over the pure CGM has more to do with other nutrients than just nitrogen. The Soy and wheat will contain some Calcium and Boron which is essential for nitrogen uptake into the crop. The CGM might contain these also, but CGM is a processed feed where the oils and a lot of nutrients are leached out of the corn and the leftovers is the CGM, which happens to be a high organic nitrogen source. The soy and wheat meal are simply ground up soy and wheat so they will contain more of their original nutrient content. I am sure all three materials do contain other nutrients other than just nitrogen, but I have yet to find a source of information that tells which nutrients and in what percentages. Usually, info sources just list NPK content of certain plants and not other useful info about sulfur, calcium, boron, magnesium or other micronutrients.

Calcium and boron are needed to help plant uptake and utilization of nitrogen. Calcium deficiencies can lead to boron toxicity. Boron is also needed to boost disease resistance. To much potassium can lock up Boron. Sulfur is taken up into the plant at the same rate as Phos. Sulfur leaches easily from the soil while P tends to stay in the soil. Humis is a storehouse for Sulfur, but if the soil the crops or compost used to make humis are grown, is deficient in nutrients, the crops and compost will be deficient also. Just because you are using composted plant and manures for fertilization of your lawns, doesnt mean you are applying the proper nutrients in the proper amounts or even getting the proper nutrients. This is one reason why you want to buy your organics from a reputable source and with labeling listing nutrient content. Other wise you really need to have your compost or other organic materials tested to insure you are really getting the benefit that you are paying for.
For taking the time to help that guy out, You're a Gentalman and a Scholar