Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-14-2006, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Member

plugger speed

O K I have seen the video for the plugger and read the specs on coverage per hr. understand the points about hills and obsticles taking more time than flat and wide open.

The question is which is more productive? Single pass with a plugger pl800 or double passes with Lesco/clausen split drive? looking for real world experience from some who have used both; maybe on same properties for acurate comparison. thanks

ps: I know zplugs or big tow behinds are faster just talking walk behinds here.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Sorry I haven't used a split drive, but I've used a couple of pluggers, ryans and bluebirds, Yes the pluggr is slower, sorry, it's easy to use but just doesn't move that fast. The nice thing is that it's easy to use, it plugs like a dream and you won't wear out your back. I never need to go over anything twice with my pluggrs. They also make a wider path(mine are 30 inch) so ultimately theyare only a little slower. Unfortunately they go through tines like crazy and their tines cost 4.5 times as much as the others ($12 each) I get 50 to 100 hrs per set and I never hit concrete, just clay, sand and a few rocks in the soil.

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
-Thomas Jefferson

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle
Old 02-17-2006, 07:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I like mine, as lawntamer said it is a little slower. It is so easy to use compared to the ryan. The tines are more expensive but there are less of them.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

has anyone seen or used the new hydro unit from Pluggr?
Old 02-17-2006, 07:41 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodfather
has anyone seen or used the new hydro unit from Pluggr?
I saw it at the Expo in Louisville. If i had not just purchased the PL800 a year earlier I would have bought one. They are also supposed to be making a tow behind model.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Member

thanks guys

lawntamer; you confirmed what I suspected. watched the plugr video and the pace seemed slow. but then wider path and one pass makes up for it. I bet since 8 tines are doing the work of 20/30 something tines on a drum type(never actually counted them) they would wear quicker. think this would equal out in the end?

trying to find plugr close to demo but think it would be better to wear out those tines than wear out by back.
trying to pace myself plan on living to be old (hopefully no broken down) man
Old 02-17-2006, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Member

i haven't had much success with the plugger, I prefer to use the Ryan's, but maybe that's just because of what I'm used to. Maybe doing something wrong with the plugger.
Old 02-20-2006, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Check out the Turfco TurnAer series. The TurnAer 4 gives an 18" swath and the TurnAer 26 gives a 25" swath. What is a TurnAer? It is a "steerable" aerator. You don't lift it when you turn you engage either the right or left brake. Since it is steerable we were able to design a sulky, the Chariot, so you can ride at 5 mph on larger properties.
It is great on slopes. No fighting to keep the machine on the slope just use the brakes.
Speaking of tine prices ours are $2.65 per tine and they fit Ryans, Bluebird, Classen.
It is the easiest to use walk-behind aerator available.

Contact us at 1-800-679-8201 or check the web at Turfco.com.

Tim Gray
Eastern U.S. Sales Mgr.