Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-18-2014, 12:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Dealing with small businesses

Over the last few years Ive built my business up to 250+ accounts spanning about 45k home service area and we are expanding to about 60k home this year.
Other than solicited commercial work I have not had any desire to handle it till now. Ive got several contacts for larger stuff with property management companies for bidding, but need help with endless small business, shop, churches etc Ive been passing over and literally just driving by.
As a small business owner I dont like being bothered with cold calls, mailing etc and was wondering whats the best approach for just walking in and asking if they are taking bids.
Who should I talk to? I assume the owner is busy and doesnt want to be bothered. Whats the best tactic or approach for the smaller places that dont take the bids in Sept and are just starting to realize its that time of years again?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-18-2014, 03:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

churches typically go with who they know...ie parishoners or people parishoners vouch for.

The exception is the LDS church (mormons)...youll know these churches by the white spire and the "vistors welcome" placcard on the front (that and they always have a ton of turf)

for and LDS church, you need to talk to the office of the FM (Facilities Manager)
you might be able to find this number in the phone book.
They typically bid out multiple churches in an area (could be three, could be thirty) and the contract lasts 3-5 years.

You ask to be put on their lists of bidders and they send you a packet that must be filled out with all your good good proof that you are a real, licensed insured company.

Depending on the cycle that the contract is on right now... that could be years before you get a chance to bid.

there are some cities that have multiple FMs...example, Boise Idaho.... Eagle, Meridian, Boise east and Boise west as well as Caldwell FM groups all go out to bid every three years.
A boise based business could bid on any of them...
They NEVER award ALL of the work to one contractor...regardless of who is low bid... they simply have a policy against it.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

churches typically go with who they know...ie parishoners or people parishoners vouch for.

The exception is the LDS church (mormons)...youll know these churches by the white spire and the "vistors welcome" placcard on the front (that and they always have a ton of turf)

for and LDS church, you need to talk to the office of the FM (Facilities Manager)
you might be able to find this number in the phone book.
They typically bid out multiple churches in an area (could be three, could be thirty) and the contract lasts 3-5 years.

You ask to be put on their lists of bidders and they send you a packet that must be filled out with all your good good proof that you are a real, licensed insured company.

Depending on the cycle that the contract is on right now... that could be years before you get a chance to bid.

there are some cities that have multiple FMs...example, Boise Idaho.... Eagle, Meridian, Boise east and Boise west as well as Caldwell FM groups all go out to bid every three years.
A boise based business could bid on any of them...
They NEVER award ALL of the work to one contractor...regardless of who is low bid... they simply have a policy against it.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Going through your network is great. See what kind of local small business meetups/nonprofits exist. Make friends. Eventually someone will know someone.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Well with time being short I dont have time to sit around and wait or kiss ass.
Most of the large properties are multi year, but from what Ive dealt with small stuff is always year to year.
I just need to figure out how to effectively go about this, rather than trail and error and falling on my face.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-18-2014, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Go to chamber of commerce meetings. Its a couple hours once a month and the small business owners are there looking to network and make contacts. That way you don't have to worry about talking to the right person or catching them at a bad time
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-19-2014, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Member

When do most businesses in your area take lawn bids? End of the year (fall) or start of the next season (feb-march)?
Old 02-20-2014, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc33 View Post
Well with time being short I dont have time to sit around and wait or kiss ass.
Most of the large properties are multi year, but from what Ive dealt with small stuff is always year to year.
I just need to figure out how to effectively go about this, rather than trail and error and falling on my face.
Posted via Mobile Device
It sounds like you're saying you don't have time (Read Patience) to do what is required to acquire your target clients, and you want them to just "show up" at your door step to sign contracts?

'Kissing ass' to get contracts is time consuming.
So I'm confused
Old 02-21-2014, 07:46 AM
LawnSite Member

I dont have time because its about to be march. I dont have the desire because im a very straight forward no bs kinda guy, i dont bs people or kiss ass. I just want to be able to get a bid in. I want to be able to employ the same tactic to small commercial as i do residential. Better work for competitive prices, or less. With larger equipment and superior equipment and an extremely compact route its never been a problem and a win-win for everyone.
Small places take bids now, large commercial with property management companies do so in Sept.

Im just need an effective way to get my foot in the door and get a bid it, rather than dismissed or turned away.
Posted via Mobile Device