Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-26-2015, 05:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Advertising Jan - Feb in the Northeast

just curious when you guys start your upcoming season advertising campaigns

I am just starting a lawn care biz this year. Fert & squirt that is and i am just north of Philly.

Because of how brutally cold its been I havent really started my marketing yet. I took advantage of the time, however, and tried to really research my market. For example, I am not doing EDDM, rather I am personally mailing 1000 postcards to homes that I have researched in hopes that they are a better possibility of wanting lawn care. I have 2500 door hangers to follow up with the same addresses and then obviously 1500 more homes.

What do you guys normally do leading up to this time of year? Am I behind the 8 ball? I have to be more efficient than existing companies because my margin of error is less. I'd hate for someone to look at my postcard, then look at the 4 degrees on their thermometer and then throw mine out. Between start up costs, that's all I can really do for advertising for right now without any money coming in.

I dont plan on having the same plan next year, but im feeling my way through this part with little experience in the advertising department.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Gotta send something soon. Big boys are sending stuff out. Ppl are receiving papers from who ever they had last year
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-28-2015, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Member

My first round of mailers went out this past week. Graxxhopper and Trux Green did the same cause I received requests to beat their pricing. If you plan on offering crabgrass pre-emergence, then you need to have your name out there now because you only have about two weeks to apply it once weather breaks. I will do mailers and newspaper insert every two weeks till May 1. Also, have you gotten licensed by the dept of AG? They are going to be heavily looking out for non licensed applicators this year
Posted via Mobile Device
Old Yesterday, 12:37 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Cold and snow significantly reduce your response to your advertizing as does bad timing. Best advice ignore the calender and look for a predicted break in the weather where it will warm up and send your already prepared post cards then. Now if that window doesn't come eventually you'll need to just pull the trigger but you got a few weeks before your hand will be forced in that.

It can be really heart breaking to make a fantastic post card and put together a killer list only to have an extended winter cost you 80% of your results that you other wise would of had.
Old Yesterday, 04:48 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

In New England MOST commercial contracts have already been decided by now, if not they will be in the next week to ten days.
and residential is all weather dependent as previously stated.
Old Yesterday, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLL LLC View Post
. Also, have you gotten licensed by the dept of AG? They are going to be heavily looking out for non licensed applicators this year
Posted via Mobile Device
yeah, ive been licensed for about 8 years. Pa is easy, just keep sending them a check. This is just the first time im going out on my own. Ive got the necessary insurance and BU's
Old Yesterday, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly's Landscaping View Post
Cold and snow significantly reduce your response to your advertizing as does bad timing. Best advice ignore the calender and look for a predicted break in the weather where it will warm up and send your already prepared post cards then. Now if that window doesn't come eventually you'll need to just pull the trigger but you got a few weeks before your hand will be forced in that.

It can be really heart breaking to make a fantastic post card and put together a killer list only to have an extended winter cost you 80% of your results that you other wise would of had.
That was my thought process, but I really couldnt back it up with experience.

The trugreen of my area has about 10,000 customers. And they start hitting up their cancels and leads midway through January. So there is obviously success in marketing during the bitter winter. I just dont have the resources to do multiple campaigns like them or many other seasoned companies.