Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-26-2014, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Buying out another company

I run a small company in central NJ doing about 40 lawns a week solo at the moment and bring someone in when i have alot of side work. A local guy around my age (mid 20s) is selling his business and has 75 weekly lawn accounts. He is also selling some equipment that is maybe work 8k that i do not need and my stuff is way newer/nicer. He says the lawns alone make 60k a season not including cleanups. All together is claiming it makes 90k a season not including paying his guys, fuel, taxs, ext. My question is what would you guys pay for a company like this? He is asking 75k which i find way to much but if he comes down on the price i am interested. This would put me well over 100 weekly cuts right where i need to be. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've seen a few companies for sale and the typical asking price is around my estimated annual gross the company would pull in. Granted solely just my estimate figured by number of contracts, my avg price of what I would charge for houses in that area. I personally never went into actual negotiations to get actual income numbers. Just giving you an idea of if it's a fair price or not. One thing for sure though....if you ever buy an existing company understand some contracts will cancel simply due to owner change and as for the seller of the company. Get a no contest clause in the purchasing contract stating he can not work in your area doing landscaping for x amount of years or you might see him stealing back contracts in his brand new truck and all new equipment that you bought him
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-26-2014, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Member

I will be getting a no competition clause for sure but my main fear is losing alot of customers right off the bat. Its inevitable to lose a few. You think his price is fair though?
Old 07-26-2014, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sootonurford View Post
I will be getting a no competition clause for sure but my main fear is losing alot of customers right off the bat. Its inevitable to lose a few. You think his price is fair though?
No. It's a service business with no contracts. He has no land or equipment worth buying.

Offer a percentage each month for 3 months - 12 months. No way I would shell out 75k for a tiny company
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-26-2014, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think your almost where you need to be. Advertisements beginning of next year with a good sized budget will get you closer to the 100 accounts than setting yourself back 75k for somebody else's customers who might bail anyway.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-26-2014, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

1000$ per account is NUTS!

If you have the cash, Id offer him 20,000 and not a penny more. And that's if you want it real bad.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Member

1000 per account is nuts i didnt think of it like that. I do some advertising havent really had to much luck. Theres a million landscapers around here i see a new one everyday the competition is unreal.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

$1,000 per resi is normal around here. I think its insane to spend that kind of money. Save it for marketing and equipment.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-26-2014, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sootonurford View Post
Like I said asking price is usually 1 yrs gross out of the companies I've seen for sale. Is it worth that? In my opinion and as others have said....not a chance.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-26-2014, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Offer a percentage each month for 3 months - 12 months. No way I would shell out 75k for a tiny company
Posted via Mobile Device[/QUOTE]

This isn't a bad idea but chances are the seller wouldn't even entertain the idea but there is nothing to lose by offering
Posted via Mobile Device