Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-12-2015, 02:35 AM
LawnSite Member

new business in hs

hi guys my names chris im in high school looking to start a business and ive already hit some road blocks...
first a little about myself, ive been landscaping since i was 13 (now 18) and ive got hundreds of hours of experience working for 3 separate companies, ive done lawns, fertilizers, mulch, pavers, trees, blacktop seal coating, excavations to name a few. im looking to start my own business for a number of reasons mainly to avoid the black hole of debt that is college, and to get away from the 3 bosses ive had that take months of pulling teeth to get money from (seems to be a common problem around my area) at this point im looking for a truck, ive got everything else i need (trailer, trimmer, blower etc) and im looking into the legal end of starting a business. This is where the road blocks come in, i am lucky enough to live in what can only be described t the least business friendly county ive ever seen, Rockland County NY, you are required to have a licence with insurance before the licence is issued, 2 letters from former employers or customers, a turf management course, expirence record, and worst of all a $650 fee for applying that isn't refunded if the application is denied.
what im really looking for advice on is how to navigate the process of starting a business, ive got to be careful about not getting a licence because the county is really cracking down on illegal contractors (fines and seizure of property w/o warning) so thats not an option, but if anyone has had to put up with regulations like these id love to know how you went about it and any other advice is welcomed and appreciated
Old 04-12-2015, 04:29 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Contact your guidance councilor at school and ask about a program called Junior achievement.
If this program is not available contact score.org and schedule an appointment with a councilor.
Have all of your questions ready and ask about any mentoring programs available for more one on one assistance. The cost is free and the peace of mind will be priceless.
easy-lift guy
Old 04-14-2015, 07:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Work in another county?