Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-07-2015, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Member

What would you say? How would you react?

I have been mowing this customers lawn for 10 years (since I was 10) and have literally never risen the price (house is worth at least $450,000). This lawn is just over a quarter acre with a small hill with 4 large pine trees (takes about 8 minutes to weed whip around). Rest of the lawn is easy takes about 30 minutes. I never complain to him about double cutting it and I always pick up the toys in the yard.

I told him I value his commitment over the years and I would love to have him again but I will have to raise the price to $32. Two weeks later he told me he is going with another company for a few weeks and see how they do, but told me to keep him on my radar.

I said unfortunately I have already booked this year and I am sorry to not have his business moving forward after 10 years of giving reliable and high quality service to his family.

Old 05-07-2015, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Suck but can't do much about it. He probably still thinks of you as the neighborhood yard boy. Move on and don't think twice about it.You say your full so it really shouldn't matter now should it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-07-2015, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Now, stick to your guns when he calls you back.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've lost customers as I've grown over the years, I've also lost customers to the neighborhood kid... It is what it is, I think you were polite and respectful although I would have left the final part out, still it wasn't bad so I would just leave things where they are.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:11 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Your in business to make money. We raise prices when our cost of doing business goes up. People question our price all the time, cheaper is never better
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-07-2015, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingLawnService View Post
I have been mowing this customers lawn for 10 years (since I was 10) and have literally never risen the price (house is worth at least $450,000). This lawn is just over a quarter acre with a small hill with 4 large pine trees (takes about 8 minutes to weed whip around). Rest of the lawn is easy takes about 30 minutes. I never complain to him about double cutting it and I always pick up the toys in the yard.

I told him I value his commitment over the years and I would love to have him again but I will have to raise the price to $32. Two weeks later he told me he is going with another company for a few weeks and see how they do, but told me to keep him on my radar.

I said unfortunately I have already booked this year and I am sorry to not have his business moving forward after 10 years of giving reliable and high quality service to his family.

Look at it from his point of view. He probably thought you two were pals. Maybe it hurt his feelings that you would go up on him. Maybe he took it personal. I would said I really hate to do this but I am really not making any money at this price anymore since the cost of living and doing business has gone up over the years..... If he balked then say that if he ever changed his mind to give you a call. I try and see he other side too
Old 05-07-2015, 06:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Customers are never loyal. Even after 10 years he was quick to dump you and move onto the next guy all because of a small price increase.

I'd move on. If he calls back, tell him your booked up, but since he was a good customer for 10 years, you'll do it for $40. If he cries about that, remind him your booked up and were only doing him a favor.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:46 AM
LawnSite Member

We've all had this happen. Just let him go and if you did a good job he will realize that after seeing the work from the new company. If they are quick to change companies they are usually a hassle to deal with in general. Picking up toys is a pita.. Yea it only takes a few min to do but it also only takes the homeowner a few min. To do. I usually say something about kids toys.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-07-2015, 06:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmonkey0311 View Post
Customers are never loyal. Even after 10 years he was quick to dump you and move onto the next guy all because of a small price increase.

I'd move on. If he calls back, tell him your booked up, but since he was a good customer for 10 years, you'll do it for $40. If he cries about that, remind him your booked up and were only doing him a favor.
My thoughts exactly but I would raise the price even more than that. UN-loyal customers pay for it or find someone else. Then I wont have that bad taste in my mouth if I end up servicing their lawn again.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:15 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

You said how much you raised the price TO, but didn't say how much the increase actually was.
I'm curious about the additional money that caused him to say "that's too much".

People are completely unpredictable in terms of what they are/are not willing to pay. I just bid one at $50/week fully expecting to never hear back from them because the lawn is tiny and will likely only take 30 minutes total. (21")
I got the job.
Not only did I get it, but he texted me yesterday saying that the grass is a little tall and if I need to add anything to the first cut price, just let him know.
I saw the lawn last week. It can't be THAT bad by now, but it was kind of him to at least make the offer.

He did you a favor. If your times are accurate, you still aren't "overcharging" at $32.
You can now fill his spot with someone who will be profitable.