Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-07-2005, 12:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Hi! Newbie poster here

My hubby has a lawn business which is growing rapidly. I will be leaving my fulltime job to help manage the business after the first of the year. However, he has already given me my first assignment... write letters to his customers advising them that due to the high gas prices his rates will increase. I just wondered if anyone had a sample letter and/or any advice regarding this matter. Also, is it wise to steadily increase and if so should we include a rate increase schedule in subject letter? Any input would be appreciated.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Member

My prices are already higher than the competition by at least $10. per yard. I was thinking of adding an additional fuel charge for customers outside a 5 mile radius. This charge would be like $1.50 per trip per customer. I'm riding this year out, but this charge will most likely appear on all 2006 invoices. This will also give me a chance to see what others in the area are doing as well.
I also call my "slow payers" that live outside the immediate area to ensure the check is left out so I can collect while i'm there. No need for second trips.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourseasonlawns
My prices are already higher than the competition by at least $10. per yard. I was thinking of adding an additional fuel charge for customers outside a 5 mile radius. This charge would be like $1.50 per trip per customer. I'm riding this year out, but this charge will most likely appear on all 2006 invoices. This will also give me a chance to see what others in the area are doing as well.
I also call my "slow payers" that live outside the immediate area to ensure the check is left out so I can collect while i'm there. No need for second trips.
I think that's a pretty good idea. When you add the cost of radius plus wear & tear overtime on ANY equipment you own it makes sense. Especially with the volaitility of gas prices these days.

Joe
Old 08-17-2005, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Just a tip about 2 cycle trimmers etc. If you notice a fall off in power or it won't rev up it could be the spark arrestor screen in the muffler has carboned up and is pluged. The trimmer will run fine and then quickly start to act up. Take off the the small cover on the muffler held on with screws. You will see a small mesh sreen and if it is covered with carbon and you can't see through it that's you problem it's blocking air flow out. Spray it with carb cleaner and use a brass wire brush to cleanit off and reinstall.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Member

question on lawn pricing

how would i quote a price on lawns around a business such as hotels gas stations etc you know the ones with all the decorative trees an narrow stripps of grass in different areas ?
Old 09-19-2005, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Serial #'s

If your equipment ever gets stolen, in addition to reporting it to your dealer, report it to the police. If the value of the piece is $500 or more, or combined articles total more than $5000, they will enter it into the national computer system (called NCIC). They are there to help.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Not sure if any one already posted it but do not put your blower down between the truck and trailer you will forget it is there and crunch goes blower
16 foot trailer
Old 10-27-2005, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassGator
Many times you find people who just want a "cheap" price for a "mow, blow and go" job. When I come across one of these I explain to them that the minimum I do is to mow, edge, weedeater and blow the walks. My reasoning is because when I pull away from their house, what the neighbors see that I did is going to be the impression they all have of the quality of work I do. If the job doesn't give the house curb appeal, then the neighbors and others driving by will not think much of my work. The explanation usually works and I get a higher price for my "basic cut". If they don't embrace the explanation and give me the job, I ask them to find someone else because it is my reputation that is at stake when I pull my trailer away from their house.
and people like that don't understand why they have to pay full price during winter months
Old 10-27-2005, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeddeamon1000
how would i quote a price on lawns around a business such as hotels gas stations etc you know the ones with all the decorative trees an narrow stripps of grass in different areas ?
look at it think about how long it will take you to bag trim and how often to trim hedges like i have some offices that takes me 15 minutes to do i charge $100 a month for the cost of being commercial (insurance, lic.etc.)but if it's a detailed lot thats going take 3 hours a week thats like 4 to 5 hundreds a month
Old 11-02-2005, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyclarkwtx
Not sure if any one already posted it but do not put your blower down between the truck and trailer you will forget it is there and crunch goes blower
LOL I have done this, when it happens you need to get a JACK to lift the trailer off your blower and no matter how bad it looks, it can be fixed but the parts are not cheap. In my case I had to replace the turbine shroud - 60 dollars.

By the way, to save money I buy Synthetic Blend instead of pure synthetic (blend is 80% pure but about half the price) of grades 10w-30 also 5w-30 and 10w40 ONLY when it is on sale and most of the time I get it at Big Lots. They don't always carry it but when they do it's around 1.90 / quart (vs. 3.25+/quart at the Auto Store).

NEVER run a standard oil, always run a synthetic oil of some kind - This helps prevent engine seizure (at least run it in the mowers, I would run it in my truck but it leaks).