Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-15-2006, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cut-1
Does anyone have any suggestions for software? ( billing,books,ect...)thank you:
Im looking at GOPHER. They give you a free trial at gophersoftware.com

CLIP people say its for larger companies. I found it difficult to find a straight forward list of features. Free demo CD offered.

Google "lawn care software"
Old 12-27-2006, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Tips needed for starting my own business

I have been in Landscape construction bussiness for 9 years. I have also been mowing lawns for much longer than that. My question for anyone in the midwest is : How should I start my own business? I have little experience in the bidding and business side of the Green Industry. I have been working for someone else for many years, and they don't let me in on the business side of things. Could I get some advice please?
Old 12-28-2006, 07:59 AM
LawnSite Member

If you do work in the green industry as a part time job, and you work midnights, make sure;again make sure that you are not too tired to perform your tasks safely. These include driving, operating riding equipment, trimming, edging, blowing, anything that is a part of this industry. If you get sleepy take a break because it is not worth injury/death to anyone to try to make extra cash. That said there are great tips in this forum, follow the ones you already have and implement any that you need and stay safe.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjhocraf View Post
I have been in Landscape construction bussiness for 9 years. I have also been mowing lawns for much longer than that. My question for anyone in the midwest is : How should I start my own business? I have little experience in the bidding and business side of the Green Industry. I have been working for someone else for many years, and they don't let me in on the business side of things. Could I get some advice please?
Know a few people, family or close friends, with different sized yards? Ask if they would call 2 or 3 LCOs apiece, thatt lets you know what kind of price is acceptable in your area. Use this as a guide, but these prices aren't set in stone. You have been in the industry for a while and you know about how long it takes too perform a task- BIG ADVANTAGE. Charge around $50/hr per person, if need be adjust the price some to your area.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:16 AM
LawnSite Member

i'm just getting started and this helped me tons...thanks yall
Old 02-01-2007, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Don't be a dumb ass

Someone earlier posted this...

"Also, I made a little sign to go on all my mowers that says "DON'T DO ANYTHING STUPID." It may sound silly but when you see it six or seven hours a day it does kind of sink in."

>> I start each day when hooking up my trailer thinking to myself... Don't be a dumb ass. I try to think about that throughout the day as I am doing things... putting my cell phone down or tools or layers of clothing etc... somewhere stupid thinking I'll remember it later, Mowing somewhere sketchy thinking it'll be ok, I won't hit that rock or I'll have enough room to not fall off the edge or f*%# up that thing as I go by etc...
- Just think about everything you are doing ALL DAY ...are you being a dumb ass at any point?

So... Rule # 1 ALL DAY LONG - Don't be a dumb ass!
Old 02-08-2007, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Member

I don't use a pressure washer to clean it i use air compressure to clean it and under the deck i scrap it once a week,change blades every 2 weeks, change oil once a month,clean air filter every 2 weeks etc etc. don't forget the oil mix for your weed eater. 2x4 to help get the blades off so they don't spin. I keep all supplies in my truck box and only i get it in there so i know every thing is in when i need it and it's left on the job site.

ONE I LEARNED FROM MY INSURANCE GUY IS TRAFFIC CONES. IF YOU DONT'
HAVE YOUR TRUCK AND TRALIER MARKED WHEN YOUR AT YOUR JOB SITE AND SOMEONE PLOW'S INTO YOU (PARKED) YOU COULD BE RESONABLE FOR IT. HE HAS SEEN CASES LIKE THAT AND THE OWNERS LOST!! sO KNOW I USE THEM!!!!
Old 02-19-2007, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Member

PRICELESS POST! Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experiences. I feel really good about launching my business in just a few weeks! Because of your help I will be WAY ahead of the curve!
Old 02-20-2007, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ;123468
Keep fix-a-flat on the trailer

Buy a portable air tank

I swear, mower tires are lined with magnets!
for the sake of the mechanic who has to repair them, don't use fix a flat.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHLEYS LAWN View Post
JOHN DEER has a new cordless impact that works well with changing blades or tires it sells for about 265.00
Throw a quick disconnect on your air tank hose and use an air impact. Think that would be a bit cheaper.