Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-21-2007, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Member

I have seen several tips regarding keeping blades sharp and quality results, but as a newbie I am interested in hearing more on blade philosophy. Ie: high lift vs gators, blade thickness and ease of sharpening, modified sharpening, double blade configuation etc. Eric ELM has some great pics of these blades on his site but no real pro's and con's on the various set ups. I think it would play a big roll in acheving quality result and the effect it may have on the mower (wear, safty etc.). Any thoughts?
Old 03-27-2007, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Bagging

Who in here bags their customers cuttings. So I am new to the lawn service and know what I like in my yard, but several services in my area don't bag. Whats the pros and cons of bagging not bagging ?
Old 03-27-2007, 02:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Best tip I can give for the new guy is to use Fluid Film for all your corrosion protection and lubrication needs. If you've never tried a can and live within the Continental United States, just send me a pm with a physical shipping address and I'll get a can right out to you.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by proweedeater View Post
I have seen a few people suggest fix a flat (green slime) as a quick fix for flats. From a mechanics stand point that stuff is a mess and a pain in the arss. If you ever have to replace the tire (which you will) who ever does the work will not be happy. If you must use it though be sure to let whoever changes the tire know, the gas it creates can be explosive. I would just keep a plug kit on board and a air tank or small compressor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughtryLC View Post
I just had to replace 2 rims because the Fix A Flat rusted the rims beyond repair(bought the mower used and ran it for yrs and found this problem when it was time to replace the tires),USE A PUG KIT, It will save u $$$$$ in the long run!!
Fix a flat and slime are two different products. Fix a flat is explosive and I wouldn't recommend it. Slime is exactly that green slime, Don't really know what it is, but I know it's sake I have run it in all my stuff for years. Works great, it's not a quick fix, you put it in and leave it in.
I have carried a small tool box and first aid kit from day 1. Spare parts can make a bad day a little better too. Safety is a no brainer, always wear protection ear, eye, foot. Yes FOOT, I have seen some wear sneakers or less. Buy some QUALITY work boots, your feet will thank you!
Old 03-27-2007, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteH&L View Post
Fix a flat and slime are two different products. Fix a flat is explosive and I wouldn't recommend it. Slime is exactly that green slime, Don't really know what it is, but I know it's sake I have run it in all my stuff for years. Works great, it's not a quick fix, you put it in and leave it in.
I have carried a small tool box and first aid kit from day 1. Spare parts can make a bad day a little better too. Safety is a no brainer, always wear protection ear, eye, foot. Yes FOOT, I have seen some wear sneakers or less. Buy some QUALITY work boots, your feet will thank you!
good points !!!!
i dont know if it was here or somewhere else i saw the quote of " you can walk on a wooden leg, pick up stuff with a metal arm, but you cant SEE out of a glass eye.
As for the boot thing thats also important my uncle was mowing about 15 years ago with a yazoo and walked around in front of it to pick up a rock and when he did the yazoo rolled foreward and cut off part of his foot, he walked home and waited for 3 hours for someone to get home to take care of him. he was slightly ******ed and almost died from mowing. make fun all you want but he was actually "slow" and had a 3rd grade education. i do not and will not ever allow my kids or wife to push mow just because of that.
boots and glasses are a must i just bought some oaklys yesterday to wear.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by workinallthetime View Post
you can walk on a wooden leg, pick up stuff with a metal arm, but you cant SEE out of a glass eye.
As for the boot thing thats also important my uncle was mowing about 15 years ago with a yazoo and walked around in front of it to pick up a rock and when he did the yazoo rolled foreward and cut off part of his foot, he walked home and waited for 3 hours for someone to get home to take care of him. he was slightly ******ed and almost died from mowing. make fun all you want but he was actually "slow" and had a 3rd grade education.
boots and glasses are a must i just bought some oaklys yesterday to wear.
To make fun would be more than wrong. I'm sure there are plenty of guys mowing that have got injured from doing something stupid, I know a few.
an old neighbors daughter ran up to her dad while he was mowing, she lost the top of her foot. It must suc, she grew up to be a hotty, till you get to the foot.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Educate

Whats the best source for education in lawn care/ landscaping. I'm sure I can figure out the basics but if I wanted to be truely informed what is recommnded? School, books, mentorship?
Old 04-23-2007, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Member

guys how do you deal with customers that agree for a 7 to10 day cut sceduale but will then not stick to it. they let it grow to 6 inches then tell you to come cut.any suggestions !!!!!!
Old 04-23-2007, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Member

what to do with customers that will not let you cut on time.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by american dream View Post
guys how do you deal with customers that agree for a 7 to10 day cut sceduale but will then not stick to it. they let it grow to 6 inches then tell you to come cut.any suggestions !!!!!!

Raise the price or get new customers.