Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-20-2011, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok I have a Toro Commercial with the 3 speed tranny. So when I pull the bar to engage the self propelled tranny... I should do it at low rpms? But how is this practical? I have to drop the tranny at EVERY turn so that that I can make my sharp turn without the mower running away from me. Am I just misreading the original post or not understanding something?
Old 05-21-2011, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think its just for zero turns and walkbehinds not 100% sure tho
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-21-2011, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I believe Eric was referring to engaging/disengaging blades on a mower in his original post, not the transmission.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:31 AM
LawnSite Member

So more updates and lessons learned:

1. Rain causes delays and customers don't understand that at all.
2. Stay-at-home moms are the worst in every way.
3. Tattoos scare old people.
4. 10% of your customers are 90% of the problem.
5. If you land 100% of your bids and estimates then you are low balling yourself.
6. A phone call does go a long ways.
7. Just looking like you know what you are doing is half the battle.
8. Never complain in front of the customer, even if it's a long time friend.
9. Before, during and after - prepare, prepare, prepare.
10. Calm down, it's really not that bad.
11. Only bid jobs when you're hot and tired.
12. Everything is harder than it looks.
13. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
14. Bi-weekly accounts cannot expect to look as good as weekly, pay up or shut it.
15. SuTech really, really, really does suck.
16. Don't let them pre-pay, it's no fun owing work.
17. No matter your outfit's size - growl at the competition.
18. Small yards are actually difficult.
19. Treat all lawn ornaments as if they are made of out porcelain.
20. Tomorrow you'll land that dream account (then you can ditch a difficult one).
Old 05-22-2011, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

^great stuff ^
Old 05-25-2011, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Member

After every mow I always blow my mower off, when other people see that you keep your equipment clean then they know you'll do a good job and will treat their lawn with the same respect

6x12 trailer
54'' hustler super z
shindaiwa weedeater
echo power head edger,trimmer,powerpruner
husqvarna backpack blower
Old 07-12-2011, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Member

I have been in the business for three years now and recently started my own. What are some good ways to find clients? I started a facebook page and website. I have passed out a ton of cards with little luck. I need to get the word out. Thanks for your help
Old 08-13-2011, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXR View Post
Holy crapola!

Thank God for good safety chains... I pulled out of my driveway and my trailer hitch had come loose.
Dented my bumper but could have been WAY worse!
Scared the poop out of me, I ALWAYS check it now.
Keep mowin' and growin'

Jim
let me just knock on wood but I dont understand how a hitch comes loose... maybe at these times you should second guess self employment, work for the other guy and learn, learn, learn. on his dime.

do carry multiply shirts in truck. nothing better then being able to take off nasty shirt at end of job, putting on a fresh one, and off to the next job. just hope wife likes doing laundry
Old 08-13-2011, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrodog View Post
Its actually kinda funny now. Honest, I had just got gas at Wal-Mart, and 3 people stopped to talk to me about the mower. Asking me all kinda questions about it. I sat in the truck on the side of the road for a while before I got out. I was scared to see what happened to the mower. It ripped my bagger to shreds, but not one piece came off the mower. Me and another guy that stopped to help, flipped the mower over and I cranked it up and drove it back on the trailer. The deck was bent a little, hydros were off a bit, e-brake bent, and the front fork was toast. I called the factory to get the front piece, and they asked me to drive it up, and they actually fixed it, new deck even! I have actually become a dealer now for them, pretty much because of my experience with the factory and the price points.
not sure if pics will show up in quote but page 32 i believe... this is what kills families minding thier own business in minivans and why laws require straps
Old 08-19-2011, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Member

The Heat and working
I am 60 years old last month and have been a firefighter for 22 years and landscaping for 10 years I have built up a decent business. Two weeks ago heat index was greater than 108 which is normal this time of year in N.MS and SW Tn. I thought I was acclimated to heat and humidity. I fell asleep on mower and woke up. Figured I was sleepy. Got some cool water and also being a former member of a spec-ops group in military. I wasn't ringing no darn bell. Got back on.mower and began to having short bursts of dozing off and woke up several times wondering where I was at untill I saw the customers home. I finished job and loaded up went home and wife freaked. I must have looked like hell ( I ain't good looking to start with) but she took me to ER. They put me 2 iv.s in and now I can't even play 9 holes of golf without becoming exhausted. I am not supposed to be working outside from 10am-4pm which makes long days. The moral of this story is simple. Heat is dangerous even for us in our occupation. It shouldn't be treated lightly. If you or an employee feels different than normal. Stop and get rest. It may be 6 weeks before I am completly recovered from heat exhaustio/heat stroke. The heat is a real deal....please respect it.
Posted via Mobile Device