Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-22-2003, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Member

For the New Guy- Cutthroat business
The business is gonna bring out alot of under bidders your way, but for those guys, all they do is pay there bills. If you want to grow and run a good and ethical business, bid the jobs to make money, not just to pay your bills. If you do this you will last a long time unlike the under bidders who fly by night and go bankrupt low balling all the jobs. JB. From Ga.
Old 08-23-2003, 01:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Good point, JB.

Starting out we must sometimes take on the less desirable locations to get our reputations built...but we should never underbid ourselves....as to raise prices later is not the easiest thing to do in some cases. All that 'counter-lowballing' does is serve to keep our market prices/income down...for all of us.

We provide services...but if a potential client is only interested in saving money, they should go to a bank.

Although we are 'service providers', we are not in the 'money saving' business.
Old 08-27-2003, 06:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Many times you find people who just want a "cheap" price for a "mow, blow and go" job. When I come across one of these I explain to them that the minimum I do is to mow, edge, weedeater and blow the walks. My reasoning is because when I pull away from their house, what the neighbors see that I did is going to be the impression they all have of the quality of work I do. If the job doesn't give the house curb appeal, then the neighbors and others driving by will not think much of my work. The explanation usually works and I get a higher price for my "basic cut". If they don't embrace the explanation and give me the job, I ask them to find someone else because it is my reputation that is at stake when I pull my trailer away from their house.
Old 11-26-2003, 01:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Carry a Swiss Army Knife. You don't even know what pain in the *** it is to try to cut trimmer line with a pair of hedge clippers.....
Old 12-04-2003, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Also, Breakdowns suck!!!!! Make sure to have some kind of spare equipment. You can always be late to the next job but you still have to finish the one your at.It may mean using the 15$ garage sale special to trim the back half but it beats loosing the account.
Old 12-27-2003, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Member

I just found this site and am very impressed. I plan on starting a lawnmowing business this spring. My 16 year old son is going to be part of the business. I am looking forward to working with him. Any help and or ideas on how to estimate$$ mowing a lawn would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old 01-04-2004, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Member

double D
it has all ways been my experiance to do what the manual and Dealer suggest. Warrenty work is the best kind work for you to have done.
By the way I lived in the Memphis area for 13 years.
Old 01-14-2004, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

IRRIGATION CONTRACOR FORMS- I am trying to put together a pckage of forms that I can use for my irrigation business in the upcoming season. WOuld anyone be interested in sharing forms such as:

Installation Contract
Season Service Contract/ Startups,Shutdowns
Service Call Work Order

Please email me if you are able to send or fax
Paul
pgsystems@cox.net
Old 01-17-2004, 05:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

leatherman tool
Old 01-21-2004, 01:09 AM
LawnSite Member

New to the lawn biz, but I've been snowplowing and landscaping for 4 years. I've seen a lot of great suggestions for tools and safety gear, but I haven't yet seen something that I do...

Keep a 3 ring binder in every truck. Put the following info in the binder:

Have your emergency contact information on the VERY FIRST PAGE. Include numbers for the local poison control hotline, local hospitals, and your insurance agent. Of course, don't forget cell numbers for your foreman/manager/owner, in case the office is deserted.

Keep a safety checklist/log sheet in the binder. Make these simple daily checks (lights+lenses, horn, brakes, mirrors, etc) and weekly checks (oil, trans fluid, belts, hoses, plug wires, tire pressure, lug nuts) a part of your log. In an accident lawsuit, this log may save your bacon. This log sheet is also a requirement if you have a USDOT registration (we do).

Have copies of MSDS (Material Safety
Data Sheets) for every chemical you use, and don't forget gasoline and diesel. This is an OSHA requirement.

Also in this binder, keep copies of the driver's licenses and medical cards of all authorized drivers for your truck(s), copy of the insurance card, and a copy of the cab card part of the title.

Keep a list of all the equipment you have in/on the truck and trailer, including SERIAL NUMBERS. When (not if) something gets stolen off your truck, it will make it that much easier to report.

Last but not least. This is also a good spot to keep a price list or other "ballpark" quote guide for your on-site staff to look at. Every employee that might come in contact with a customer or prospect should have some sales literature at hand, even if it's only a business card.