Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-25-2004, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Member

If you do sod installation.....GREEN SIDE UP !
Old 01-28-2004, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Always keep a dry chemical fire extinguisher handy!!! I'm a 29 year veteran volunteer fireman ,but still had a small push mower "light up" in a customer's yard , a few years back.It would
not have have been too bad ,except that that my customer was a past fire chief of a neighboring fire company,and that I am a volunteer fireman in the next town!To make matters worse,the first person to see my blazing lawnmower was the president of yet another local fire company!!!!OUCH!!!
Old 03-03-2004, 07:48 AM
LawnSite Member

engaging the clutch

This is what a lawn mower mechanic explained to me. I have a Bobcat and the instructions also say to engage at low rpm's, here was his reasoning for that. He said its much better for the engine if you put a load on it at high rpms, yes you will burn out the electronic clutch faster but you will save on your engine life. Which is cheaper to replace. He stated the reason bobcat states low rpm is because they have to warranty the clutch and not the engine so they don't care if the engine fouls. Makes sense what he said. I engage a full rpm haven't had a problem in two years, I have an extra electronic clutch ready to go (just part of my back up supplies)
Old 03-14-2004, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Did I miss the one about carrying extra mower blades?

All good stuff here, a lot of smart folks with a lot of experience.

Carrying water?, I freeze gallon milk jugs half full of water, top them off and the're cold all day.
Old 03-18-2004, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Member

STAY HYDRATED!!!!!
Old 03-21-2004, 06:43 AM
LawnSite Member

starting in business

Couple things to make life easier. First go out and buy a battery/compressor combo pack at your local auto store they run around $50.00. And a tire plug kit. These are great help for tires and battery's, also always blow the engine area clean with your blower. clean grass and leaves from around engine and at least once a year pull the top cover off and blow out around the cylinders. This is the cooling area of the engines more guys kill their engine because they don't take the time to clean them. It's like taking the radiator out of your truck. Sometimes when you use a pressure washer on them if you don't get it good enough then it just packs it better in the engine area where you can not see. hope this helps
Old 03-25-2004, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Member

THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT
Old 03-29-2004, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Member

OK so get insurance I understand that part but all I have is a mower and weedwacker do I need a license too. What else do I need.
Old 03-29-2004, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Member

srx1211 - you need to register with the state so that you can collect sales tax, and I think the business entity tax will appply to you also. You don't need any special license for lawn maintenance, but if you do landscape alteration jobs in excess of $200 you need a home improvement contractors license.

This link should get you started in understanding what you need. The people at smartstart are really helpful too. http://www.sots.state.ct.us/Business...StartaBiz.html
Old 03-29-2004, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Member

ok so registering with the state does that mean I will need some sort off business license, also how do I figure out what the tax will be or will the state let me know when I register. Also what is an entity tax.