Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-14-2006, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Member

re-start

I have been in the 'parks' business since I was 16 years old (1974), starting out at $1.90 an hour trimming around trees and rocks with a hand grass clipper. Presently I manage a slice of a county park system including athletic fields, pools, picnic areas, rental buildings, sledding hills, toboggan tracks and countless acres of turf management. My crew goes from a full time staff of 10 to a seasonal staff around 40. Equipment is top notch, couple of 16' rotaries with air conditioning, 3 10' rotaries and a half dozen 6' ers. Trucks are all under 5 years old.

Last year was not a good year for my personal equipment. First the '95 Chevy S-10 was starting to nickel and dime us so I found a good deal on a new loaded 2004 Ranger. Then the 1972 wheel horse was going on the fritz and we purchased a 50" Simplicity Zero Turn. In October of this year I am eligible to retire at the age of 49 with a defined pension and health insurance. I have always liked to cut grass, like the look when completed and even the smell.

I found a site on line, myownbusiness.com, that has a complete "free" course that has proven very useful and was a catalyst to moving the idea of doing something after retirement to reality. Since taking the course I have applied to the state and city for proper documentation, contacted insurance agents for written quotes, opened a checking and charge account in the new business name and have begun shopping for a trailer.

This site, lawnsite.com, has been very beneficial, while I know intimately the skills involved in getting the work done, I have never had to bid a job. I posted a thread on how to bid and got some great suggestions. This summer I will pick up a few accounts to get the feel of the business and if it goes well... look forward to doing more of what I like. I am fortunate in that my wife also likes the outdoors and has proven skills on the new zero-turn mower.

I have full confidence that this business can really grow into something big, while speaking to the city inspector regarding a home occupation permit he asked me to give him a call once the business is going because the person that was cutting his lawn last year could no longer do it. While at the bank opening a checking and charge account, our Personal Banker asked me to give her a quote on her lawn because her and her husband both hate the chore which takes up their whole Saturday. I had noticed a picture behind her desk with two little kids and told her that instead of working all Saturday they should be playing with the kids. Two solid leads and the snow is still on the ground!
Old 02-15-2006, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

WOW nice leads you got there. Send the balance north-west up my way.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That is awesome. With leads like that you will be raking in the green in no time. (no puns intended) How far is Greenfield from the illinois border. I am 5 miles south of the border near Boone County Il. Good luck!
Old 02-19-2006, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Member

On the Southwest edge of Milwaukee County.