Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-15-2006, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bidding my first lawn program

Looking for some help. I have a property about .4 acres 17000 square feet to be exact. They are looking for a full season fertilizer package that would also include some crabgrass prevention in the summer. I would also like to put something down granular for their dandelions (which they complained about) and other broadleaves. Some history of the lawn, it is about a 5-8 year old lawn that doesnt look full yet by any means. I think that it could use some aeration, although the ground was still frozen, but the lawn is somewhat patchy (which will certainyl account for an infestation of weeds). Looks like your standard Kentucky Bluegrass lawn.

Does anyone have suggestions on a program, who do you use, what products? How much do you mark up the product for application? How many apps do you do and how much N per application. I came from a golf course where we spoon feed all season long, home lawns are a little different, maybe a little longer lasting slow release. What about umaxx and uflex? I havent researched them at all yet but I hear they are a nice product. Just give me some input.

Located in Milwaukee Wisconsin typical growing season is April 1st - November 30th.

We do landscape design, plants sales and delivery, full season landscape maintenance, mulch applications, edging installation, landscape bed installation, one time landscape renovations, spring and fall cleanups, and lawn maintenance division including mowing, fertility/weed control programs, and agronomics services.

Mike and Loriena Harrington

http://www.beautifulbloomslandscape.com
Old 03-12-2006, 06:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

While I am way out of your area (TN) and know little on maintaining a straight bluegrass lawn I can offer input on using Umaxx. I use it exclusively in my blanket applications for Fescue/Bermuda lawns. Rates are .75lb N and 1.0 lb/1000 sq ft. Response is similar to a straight, 46-0-0 urea product in that it is pretty fast to green-up but it lasts and lasts. Oftentimes longer than even granular SCU products. Not sure how you are set-up but I use the 47-0-0 through a eduction system that slurries the product as it goes into my 300 gal and 500 gal tanks with sparge-type agitation. Dissolves quickly and stays in suspension. Has a blue tint to it so it resembles the old "powder blue" used on golf courses. Have seen residual response for up to 12 weeks. Since I mix in my own post-emergent broadleaf control and pre-emergent crabgrass control I've never used anything but the sprayable prilled form but suspect a granular form with pre-emergent is available. Try HowardJohnsons or JR Simplot.
The down side? Cost. I buy in bulk. 10 tons a pop and cost/50lb bag is still $18.50. Since most of my customers are "upper crust" and can absorb the extra cost I rarely hear any crying about price. If they are new sales that are surprised about my price vs. the competition I supply them with a few local addresses of both my customers and various competitors. They nearly ALWAYS call back to jump onboard. The ones that don't, I don't want anyway since they are bottom-dollar people only that should go to comp. anyway.

Last edited by vegomatic40; 03-12-2006 at 06:55 AM.