Old 02-16-2006, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Member

some help for a yankee

what is pinestraw and how about picture Iam a dumb sprinkler guy from jersey
Old 02-16-2006, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Dodger
I say that because most employees put out like 10-12 bails and hour. I bleive most folks like to make a t least 40 per hour and you have to go pick it up. It really depends on if you are trying to make money or you just want something to do. I also just moved form atlnata so I know what the market will bare in georgia. I also know most serious landscape companies in ATL charge 6.50-7.50 and buying it by the trailer they are probably paying 2.75-3.00 per bail maybe even less.
Yeah I could definately understand the ATL bearing that price. Maybe I need to raise my rate... it wouldn't hurt to lose some pine straw business. I think $3 labor would be about the max for me though.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Member

I charge $7/bale in Alabama, get it delivered $3.50/bale. I'm oly like 2 hrs from Atl. Wish I could charge more but everyone complains as it is, customers about how much and my workers because it sux
Old 02-16-2006, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We charge $8 a bale installed and it costs us $3.25 a bale.
Old 02-17-2006, 01:47 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Ok, where can I get pine straw that will ship it cross country without buying a truck load? I've used straw before and I like the way it looks. I've got a job bid that is perfect for it, but the only supplier I've found is a retail internet outfit. 40 bales to cover approx. 2200'sq is going to cost me almost $900 delivered to me here in KS. After that, I still have to charge for installing it. You guys make this price sound like highway robbery. If the going rate is less than $4 / bale in the SE, can I get it shipped to the west KC metro for double that? The shipping portion on the 40 bales (4 bales to a box, 10 boxes) was quoted at $200 of that $900 price.

Could I get 100 bales shipped here for $900 from another supplier? That would bring it down to ten bucks a bale and I would just have to inventory the extra for a future job. If the extra is paid for, I could risk it!
....but still a bargain compared to anything else.
And I NEVER say I told you so out loud.
How many Hats can you wear?
Old 02-19-2006, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicmudpuppy
Ok, where can I get pine straw that will ship it cross country without buying a truck load? I've used straw before and I like the way it looks. I've got a job bid that is perfect for it, but the only supplier I've found is a retail internet outfit. 40 bales to cover approx. 2200'sq is going to cost me almost $900 delivered to me here in KS. After that, I still have to charge for installing it. You guys make this price sound like highway robbery. If the going rate is less than $4 / bale in the SE, can I get it shipped to the west KC metro for double that? The shipping portion on the 40 bales (4 bales to a box, 10 boxes) was quoted at $200 of that $900 price.

Could I get 100 bales shipped here for $900 from another supplier? That would bring it down to ten bucks a bale and I would just have to inventory the extra for a future job. If the extra is paid for, I could risk it!
I'm going to pull this one back up to the top in hopes that some of you that use straw on a regular basis might be kind enough to reply with a vendor or two who might be able to ship straw to the KC area. The idea of paying 15 a bale plus freight doesn't seem quite right, but if that is what I have to do to for this job I will. I received the signed contract Friday, so I have to order the straw in the next few days, 15 buck a bale or not.
....but still a bargain compared to anything else.
And I NEVER say I told you so out loud.
How many Hats can you wear?
Old 02-19-2006, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslawn
14.00 bale installed
You are my Hero
Old 02-19-2006, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicmudpuppy
I'm going to pull this one back up to the top in hopes that some of you that use straw on a regular basis might be kind enough to reply with a vendor or two who might be able to ship straw to the KC area. The idea of paying 15 a bale plus freight doesn't seem quite right, but if that is what I have to do to for this job I will. I received the signed contract Friday, so I have to order the straw in the next few days, 15 buck a bale or not.
You could put out Synthetic (Textraw) for that price, might be something to think about.
Old 02-19-2006, 02:45 PM
LawnSite Member

i am not sure who thinks that bails are not machine bailed but I know that i have personally watched them raked inot rows and gotten up with a tractor and bailer. U can also feed it into the bailer with pitch forks.
Old 02-19-2006, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey bicmudpuppy, here is a link with pics of that synthetic straw.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...tic+pine+straw