Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-20-2006, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

or take my truck to take the test while its just a cab and chassis.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Member

What it comes down to is that anything over 10,000 being towed, if by a 2500 pickup, requires that class A. I got my class A in august with a Mack single axle/ auto and a 20 ton Eager Beaver w/ air brakes. See if you can find a truck with air brakes so that you can get them on your license, if you don't you are restricted to juice brakes.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

yea i'm lookin all over for my options, just sucks cause i need to get this licence as soon as possible. or its going to cost me money to have my equipment moved. We have a family friend who is a state trainer for a local bus company that also owns a local big time construction company. she is training a few employees of that construction company. but im not sure if its class A or Class B yet. its probably class B cause theyre not really towing anything. I'm praying its Class A, then it'll make things a little cheaper, and easier over all.

2004F550. how was your experience with the test? any pointers? was it a pintle hitch trailer? true about lining up the hitch in one shot?

im not worried about backing up or anything. just want to get this done with as soon as possible. time is money.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Actually the test wasn't to bad at all. We lucked out tho and the three of us got to take the test at our yard and around our town because the company paid the guys time to come out. We set up the course and just practiced, practice...it was a pintle, we always got it first shot...you only need to pull ahead about 8', then just back up, so its hard to get out of line.....the truck was an auto, which helped b/c there wasn't any stress about shifting while doing the course etc, we could just concentrate on missing flags, etc.....but as long as you set up the course and get used to it, the test is a snap....the inspector didn't even really pay attention and if you were close it was good nuff for him....thats another thing it depends a lot on the inspector you get...we got a sergent and he was really laid back and easy going which made it less stressful....but ne way get the course laid out and just practice, if your having him come to you, pick visual markers around you and pick an easy route to drive.....it was defiantly worth the $$ to have him come to us.....if you have ne more ?? just ask
Old 02-24-2006, 12:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echovalley
It is a must to have a CLASS A when towing ANYTHING over 10k.You should have attended the landscape show in Hartford as the DOT TRUCK SQUAD was there and could have answered any of your ?.Also I think a 4500 with the duramax is really going to struggle pulling a hill like RT6 with a 18klb machine
nope not true at all..i had class a for years now . you only need class a to drive combination air brake equipped vehicles( ie. tractor trailer). and you only need a class b to drive any single unit equipped with airbrakes.(ie . dumptruck )
Old 02-24-2006, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

yea but you're in north carolina, and we're in CT, the laws here are probably different. the definition of a class a vehicle for which you would need a class a licence is:
A = Any combination of vehicles with a gross combined weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 or more pounds providing the gross vehicle rating (GVWR) of the vehicle(s) being towed in excess of 10,000 pounds.
- holders of class A licenses may, with the appropriate endorsements and restrictions, operate all vehicles within classes B and C.
(took that from the CT website)

In CT it is defined by weight, not by the brakes, although you can get an extra endorsement on your CDL A licence so that you can tow something with air brakes.

i was hoping you were right when you posted, but then i checked to see where you are from. different laws up here.

howd duke do the other night.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutRight
yea but you're in north carolina, and we're in CT, the laws here are probably different. the definition of a class a vehicle for which you would need a class a licence is:
A = Any combination of vehicles with a gross combined weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 or more pounds providing the gross vehicle rating (GVWR) of the vehicle(s) being towed in excess of 10,000 pounds.
- holders of class A licenses may, with the appropriate endorsements and restrictions, operate all vehicles within classes B and C.
(took that from the CT website)

In CT it is defined by weight, not by the brakes, although you can get an extra endorsement on your CDL A licence so that you can tow something with air brakes.

i was hoping you were right when you posted, but then i checked to see where you are from. different laws up here.

howd duke do the other night.
i dont want to seem like a know it all but when the "cdl" was established it abolished all state laws and now is governed by the feds. it is a nationwide license if not then lets say i was ok to drive a dumptruck with class "c" in nc. but i had to travel to va just one state away and then got stopped and fined because in va you have to have a "b" license to drive a dumptruck. you see in that respect no one could travel state to state unless you had each states license .that is why the cdl is in effect to put all states on the same page.
Old 02-24-2006, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by befnme
nope not true at all..i had class a for years now . you only need class a to drive combination air brake equipped vehicles( ie. tractor trailer). and you only need a class b to drive any single unit equipped with airbrakes.(ie . dumptruck )
Ah nope your wrong you need a air brake endorsment to drive a dump or box truck with air brakes under 26k GVW.You need a class B for any straight truck over 26k GVW with or without air brakes and you can tow anything UNDER 10k lbs.You would need a class A for anything with a combined weight of 26,001 lbs[ie kodiak dump#10,500,trailer #4 and excavator #12=#26,500 Class A only
Old 02-24-2006, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echovalley
Ah nope your wrong you need a air brake endorsment to drive a dump or box truck with air brakes under 26k GVW.You need a class B for any straight truck over 26k GVW with or without air brakes and you can tow anything UNDER 10k lbs.You would need a class A for anything with a combined weight of 26,001 lbs[ie kodiak dump#10,500,trailer #4 and excavator #12=#26,500 Class A only
here we go :

CDL Licensing Information

There are three classes of CDL licenses, Class "A", Class "B", Class "C" in all States
and Class "D" in some of the States. These licenses are divided by the "GVWR" of the
vehicle or vehicles driven. GVWR stands for "gross vehicle weight rating" and is the
weight that the vehicle is allowed to weigh fully loaded. In all cases you must have
passed a DOT (Department Of Transportation) physical in order to qualify for a CDL
License. If your not sure if you qualify for a CDL License please contact your State
Department of Transportation before proceeding any farther with your quest for the
license. A lot of people have spent lots of money going through truck driving schools
and then find out they can't physically qualify for the CDL License. Please don't let
this happen to you.

Class "A". This is for commercial vehicles that are over 26,000 lbs and tow a trailer
that is over 10,000 lbs they are called a combination vehicle. Tractor trailers all,
tractors pulling mobile homes, dump trucks pulling dolly trailers, or dump trailers,
straight trucks pulling trailers fall into this class.
Requires written tests and skills tests.

Class "B". This is for commercial vehicles that are over 26,000 lbs GVWR . These are
vehicles that have no trailers or trailer that weigh less than 10,000 lbs fully loaded.
Straight box or flat bed trucks, dump trucks, tank trucks, Buses, fall into this class.
Requires written tests and skills tests.

Class "C". This is for commercial vehicles that weight less than 26,000 lb and require
an endorsement. small bus or any vehicle with hazardous material placards.
Requires written tests and skills test.

Class "D". This is for commercial vehicles that weigh over 6,000 lbs but less than
26,000 lbs. This license in most cases only requires a written test.

Endorsements

"H" endorsement is required on your license if you drive a commercial vehicle that
requires a hazardous materials placard.

"N" endorsement is required on your license if you drive a commercial vehicle with a
tank that can hold a 1,000 gallons or more.

"P" endorsement is required on your license if you drive a commercial vehicle that
can transport 16 or more people including the driver, or a school bus that can
transport 11 people including the driver.

"T" endorsement is requires on your license if you drive a commercial combination
vehicle with double or triple trailers.

"X" endorsement is requires on your license if you drive a commercial tank vehicle
used to haul hazardous materials.

i was wrong about the air brake endorsement but the point is you do not need the class "a" cdl to pull a trailer with 10,000 gvwr. heck i took the test in 1991 or 1992 i think .
Old 02-24-2006, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

this is the exact problem I'm am running into everywhere I go, is that everybody has a different answer. I've talked to folks like you who have their CDL licenses, owners of trailer dealerships, owners of truck dealerships, other landscapers, guys in excavation. The funny thing is the other landscapers, truckers, and excavation guys at least have an answer for the question. But surprisingly the druck dealership owners and the trailer dealership owners that I have talked to cannot give a straight answer. I'm going to go straight to the source and go down to the DMV as soon as a get a chance. Might as well see what the horses ass, sorry i mean horses mouth has to say.